Is this 1967 Browning Superposed a good dove gun?

TomTeriffic

$1,100 seems a modest price for a genuine Browning Superposed over/under in pretty-good shape. These in minty original shape typically are priced like some new compact automobiles. This particular gun has 26" barrels and fixed modified/improved cyclinder chokes. Made long before the days of choke tubes. Modest but decent engraving. Blued receiver. Looks like a respectable field gun. I generally think of 28" in an open field. The shorter barrels may make this gun swing faster on speedy doves? Maybe? I generally think of skeet and improved cylinder as "dove chokes". I might hunt near a water hole or an open field over MOJOs. Dove/field loads, being light in recoil, should pamper the action of an old classic like this well and be easy on a firing shoulder. 12 gauge is certainly the bore for quick and fickle-moving dove.

Here is a Superposed in action on non-dove game:

Last edited:
MY dad loved his as well. This was the only gun he ever sold. He said that was the stupidest mistake he ever made.
I think you need to get it TT. Perfect gun for you.

$1,100 seems a modest price for a genuine Browning Superposed over/under in pretty-good shape. These in minty original shape typically are priced like some new compact automobiles. This particular gun has 26" barrels and fixed modified/improved cyclinder chokes. Made long before the days of choke tubes. Modest but decent engraving. Blued receiver. Looks like a respectable field gun. I generally think of 28" in an open field. The shorter barrels may make this gun swing faster on speedy doves? Maybe? I generally think of skeet and improved cylinder as "dove chokes". I might hunt near a water hole or an open field over MOJOs. Dove/field loads, being light in recoil, should pamper the action of an old classic like this well and be easy on a firing shoulder. 12 gauge is certainly the bore for quick and fickle-moving dove.

1967 was the start if the salt wood era. See below. Caveat emptor:

According to Schwing’s interviews with Browning’s Harm Williams and Val Browning, all the salt curing was done in the US and affected at least 90% of all Browning stocks from made from 1967 to 1969. The problem continued to show up until 1972, but in smaller numbers. It was then that the entire supply of walnut blanks was burned and replaced with traditional kiln dried wood.

Supervised. Older design, Prices down. No Collector value for 99 percent of them. Better steel and many improvements on Citori making it a better choice or a cynergy if you want a Browning O/U

Love mine. it was always my dream to get a B25 and I finally got one a few years ago. Mine has 28" Full and Improved Modified, was made in 1964.
You have good taste. :)
BTW of all the shotguns I have checked the choke constriction on, this is the only one that has the correct choke constriction. That's Browning quality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back