Yeti GOBOX Collection

Has anybody here recently bought a new over/under shotgun for under $700 that he really likes?

I ordered a 16ga CZ Teal from Cabelas...currently $649 (marked down from $849). After handling one in the store I decided it fit me. Unfortunately it has ejectors which isn't what you prefer but is available in 410, 28, 20, 16, and 12 and all but the 16 have choke tubes.
The fit of the shogun is more important than the shell removal mechanism. If the ejectors weren't the deal-breaker for YOU, that's good. So, far the American Tactical Imports Cavalry line appears to be the most attractive to my eyes in the pictures as far as the metalwork goes, but the cheaper Hatfield Field seems to have a really-nice-looking checkered wood stock.

It’s legal in a bunch of states I killed deer in Montana using buck shot, it’s legal here in MA as well though I haven’t had an opportunity to use it.

@RobertD My only concern with slugs with a SXS or O/U would be the choke, some have fixed chokes and you want it as open as possible.
00 buck inside 25 yards delivers the most impressive results of anything I’ve shot deer with, and I’ve shot a lot of deer with a lot of things.

On Gerald’s topic of non over/unders under $700, my Beretta A300 was right at $700 and it has been outstanding. It cycles reliably, cuts recoil, and makes birds dead.

For less expensive O/Us, I put well over 10,000 shells through a CZ Canvasback as a kid and it was a great shotgun.

00 buck inside 25 yards delivers the most impressive results of anything I’ve shot deer with, and I’ve shot a lot of deer with a lot of things.

On Gerald’s topic of non over/unders under $700, my Beretta A300 was right at $700 and it has been outstanding. It cycles reliably, cuts recoil, and makes birds dead.

For less expensive O/Us, I put well over 10,000 shells through a CZ Canvasback as a kid and it was a great shotgun.
Yes, one has to be one sly fox to creep within 25 yards of venison for the freezer. There are some hooting yay-hoos tossing buckshot at foxhound/beagle-pestered deer 50 yards or longer. If they'd bother let the deer get within proper buckshot range, 25 yards tops in that heavy cover, the deer would be dead for sure, even with an over/under. Even the small boy said his dad couldn't shoot for chit.

Last edited:

I agree, I used 3.5in 000 and it was devastating.

Looks like MT changed the rules and now only allows 0 and 00… seem bizarre you would allow 2 3/4in 0p and not 000 in a 3.5in.

A couple of folks I know that regularly hunt with it swear by #4 buck.

Growing up in North Carolina, I know that if enough guys fling buckshot at a deer crossing the road 100 yards away it very might possibly die.
Some jurisdictions might not allow shotgun slugs or rifle bullets for deer. If, due to legal take-method requirements, one must take deer with such limited-range weapons as muzzleloaders, bows or shotguns, one should strive to be an ethical hunter to only take clear shots that are close.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back