recommended gear (clothing) for an October WY Pronghorn hunt

bigdonniebrasco

I know that this is kind of a gear question, and there is also no way to determine what the weather will be doing mid October in NE Wyoming.

I will likely have to buy some new items (feel free to contact me if you have anything used). 5'10" 180 34 inch waist :)

I have looked at typical weather in that part of WY in mid Oct, and I think I have an idea what I should expect, but I also don't have any quality hunting clothes!

I am thinking some briar resistant pants and KNEE pads. aside from that I am winging it!

I will be doing a LOT of hiking, so I need to keep that in mind.

I have NO rain gear.

And like a lot of people I am on a budget.. I have spent a LOT just to get this far! GPS, chip, frame pack, coolers, range finder, tags, boots, tent, stove, sleeping bag... etc $$$$$$$$$$$

This is my very first Western hunt so there is a lot I don't know.

Thanks for ANY input!!

Don

Pants with knee pads are a must but get some quiet ones, Sitka, Core4 element, etc.. You need some rain gear too but can get by with a good jacket. It could be 60 degrees or -20 with snow and wind. Look at Camofire.com they sell discounted stuff of all kinds , and it changes daily. Most all of my Sitka and Core4 came from there at 40-60 % less. They are closeouts and last years stuff. The companies still honor their products sold their. Get some light colored hunting patterns. Don't wear a big orange coat. A vest or hat is best and camo orange is legal. Layer up and you'll be ready for any weather.

thanks!!

You guys have been an INVALUABLE resource!!

I can't wait to share my "after" story this fall !!!

looks like you're about the same size as me. These are one size fits all..
a2802823-219-double-beer-hat.jpg

For antelope I'd spring for pants with integral knee pads like Sitka Mountain/Timberline pants or Kuiu alpines if there is any antelope specific clothing (there isn't). They just do way better than knee pads on their own.

Mid October in Wyoming will likely be in the 30-70 degree temperature range so that doesn't really narrow it down. Good wool socks (smartwool or similar) is really important as 10-15 miles a day walking is normal.

The difference between my first and second antelope trip was that I took way less stuff the second time.

Its rained significantly on me both trips to Wyoming for antelope, but I'm not sure I'd consider rain gear as critical as quick drying clothing. The thing is that rain means you should be driving back to a county road so you aren't stuck for 2 days on BLM 4x4 roads.

The first trip costs about 3x what the second trip does if you aren't going with someone already equipped, its just the nature of the game.

I have hunted pronghorn in Wyoming in blizzards, thunder storms, dry and hot, and sometimes all in the same hunt. Come prepared, listen to the weather forecast daily. Three years ago we arrived in snow, hunted in short sleeves and left the day before 24" snow dump. layering is a must, knee pads are a must.

You will love it, have a great time!

A pair of jeans, a cpl decent shirts and a puffy would work just fine. A packable rain coat from sportsmans in the day pack is a good idea but I've never needed it in WY. Decent binos will spot them, figure out how to sneak on them, and go get one. If you're rifle hunting you don't need camo but knee pads are a pretty good idea. The best ones I've seen are the acrteryx knee caps. In all the units I've hunted light boots or hikers would work fine as well. No need to get all twisted up on gear, it's an Antelope hunt. I think the furthest I've been from my truck is maybe 1 1/2 miles, and it's sagebrush country.

Pants with knee pads are a must but get some quiet ones, Sitka, Core4 element, etc.. You need some rain gear too but can get by with a good jacket. It could be 60 degrees or -20 with snow and wind. Look at Camofire.com they sell discounted stuff of all kinds , and it changes daily. Most all of my Sitka and Core4 came from there at 40-60 % less. They are closeouts and last years stuff. The companies still honor their products sold their. Get some light colored hunting patterns. Don't wear a big orange coat. A vest or hat is best and camo orange is legal. Layer up and you'll be ready for any weather.

It's not going to be -20° in mid-October. But it might be 20°. Bring layers so you can simply add to what you're wearing rather than replace what you're wearing if you find it's 20° instead of 80°.

Thanks so much guys! I know this was a very general question, but I really do appreciate the input!!

thanks again.

Well said. -20 is a stretch, but 20 degrees with a foot of snow is possible.

It could be 8 or 80 but don't overthink clothing. No fancy stuff required knee pads are nice, leather gloves can be worth weight in gold and be ready for lots of wind also. Lots of ammo in case previously mentioned wind kicks up...

C

I started hunting 4 years ago, and in the west 2 years ago and have gone through a bunch of clothing from cheap to high end and everywhere in-between. I've used Kmart level stuff to First Lite and Sitka. The first year out west I used a combination of Sitka Early Season Whitetail pants and an Ascent jacket along with some generic merino blend base layers and a REI puffy jacket. After figuring out what was important and what wasn't I went on a slow spending spree amassing the best gear for how I hunt (lots of hiking, first time antelope hunting I think I logged like 18 miles on foot). My WY pronghorn experiences have been that it dips down into the 30s at night and reaches the 60s-70s during the day. I've also had it rain both years at least part of one day.

Now that I have everything dialed in, here's what I will be bringing with me on my 3rd antelope hunt, which will probably be two days of hunting:

1x First Lite Corrugate pants (worn every day) (I also own the Kanab 2.0s but I won't wear them if there's significant barbed wire around as they're a bit fragile and prone to tears)
1x First Lite North Branch Jacket (possibly worn, possibly left at the truck depending on forecast)
1x First Lite Llano (worn every day as top base layer)
1x First Lite Chama (worn every day, possibly shed and stuffed in pack mid day)
1x Sitka Traverse Zip-T (possibly worn over Chama depending on temps and wind)
2x ExOfficio boxers (worn every day)
1x lightweight merino blend base layer bottoms (worn depending on forecast)
1x midweight merino blend base layer bottoms (worn depending on forecast)
4x Smartwool/similar wool blend socks (2 lightweight, 1 midweight, 1 heavyweight)
1x First Lite Uncompahgre insulated jacket (in pack for early morning glassing or emergency situations)
1x Marmot Precip rain jacket (in pack)
1x Asolo Flame GTX boots (worn on hands)

This is pretty much my standard roll out for a western hunt from now on. The only variation really will come in the form of sock thickness and bottom base layer thickness depending on forecasts and time of year. With those items I should be comfortable from 0 to 100 degrees.

That's not to say you have to go out and buy the $1500 worth of clothing listed above, but it at least gives you an idea of what I find to be important. If I had to suggest a base set of stuff to go with I would have a hard time not recommending the First Lite Corrugates or Sitka Timberline pants, First Lite Llano QZ top, and Sitka Traverse Zip-T. Any earth tone jacket you already own can be added for more insulation, or the REI house brand synthetic down jackets are pretty good for the money. The Marmot Precip rain jacket can be found for ~$50 on sale at Sierra Trading Post, Steep and Cheap or similar sites pretty much all the time and can't be beat for packable rain gear. The big thing is to stay away from cotton/jeans/etc. and go with stuff that is DWR, quick drying, durable and not bulky. I had a cheapo camo winter jacket that was fairly warm but I could barely move my arms in it due to the 5lbs of insulation. Compared to my First Lite Uncompahgre it's night and day. Another possible pitfall is using stuff that is too breathable. A big problem with the Sitka ESW and Ascent jacket when I used them were that if it was below 60F or so they did such a good job of expending body heat that I got cold in them fast. Merino base layers help a lot in that regard for me to regulate body temps. Camo patterns between Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite are basically personal preference. I've seen all three do well in a variety of terrains.

Last edited:
Right! Knowing Greenhorn's anticts this would NOT happen until they were whacked, stacked. Then perhaps go to have a cold one, but I am still having trouble believing it. Guy has forgotten more about hunting than I will ever know, and I am old enough to be his grandpa. Good luck to you this year, sir!

looks like you're about the same size as me. These are one size fits all..
a2802823-219-double-beer-hat.jpg

While I could appreciate having knee pads, I've made due without for years. IMO, "high speed" technical clothing is not needed for a pronghorn hunt. I generally wear Carhartt bib overalls and bring layers. The bibs do okay at turning cactus spines, but I still look where I plant my butt. My rain gear is a mish-mash of stuff from REI and Red Ledge. Neither are the best, but they've each kept me dry.

All leather boots and gloves. REI MTS baselayers, Carhart bibs, REI rain jacket, cheap orange hat that I got at a truck stop, and good luck t-shirt from the Alaskan Bush Company...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back