2023 Montana Bighorn Sheep Tag/Hunt...

BrowningCitori

I have been a Montana resident for over 30 years. I only recently discovered HuntTalk, been lurking for a few months. I have enjoyed the stories so much I decided to use my notes from last fall to write up my own story. I have been lucky to draw some great tags over the years. I apply for MSG every year in Montana. However, I am largely a bird hunter.

In 2018, my friend, Dean, drew a 680 ram tag. He had hunted for 10 days in September but mostly got rained on. In late October he calls me and says “any interest in joining me”, I said sure, took time off work and spent about 10 days over the course of two trips in 680. He had a camper on the river for base camp and borrowed jet boat for river access. I got to look at a lot of sheep and see a lot of HD 680 and 482 from water and land. Dean didn’t kill a ram, while I was there. He spent 41 days looking for a monster and in the end settled for 175 class ram. We saw some big rams on the river bank but in 482 and rumor was there was better land access (a few all weather roads). I decided after this that I would apply for 482 instead of 680 (probably wouldn’t matter, I will never draw).

Fast forward to late afternoon May 12th, 2023 and my friends start asking if I drew any MSG tags. I go to bed thinking, no way I drew anything. May 13th, up early with coffee and decide to look at MT FWP site, SHOCK, it says SUCCESSFUL 482 RAM TAG! WAIT ? WHAT? My fall plans just changed. I am now retired, time to hunt isn’t an issue. WAIT! WHAT?

May 17th, FWP says there has been a mistake with several MSG drawings. WTH! After several days, it is decided we all get tags (let the mental roller coaster begin, more on that later). I am going sheep hunting, I am not going sheep hunting. WAIT? WHAT? It appears I am going sheep hunting…

I have had the same rifle for 30 years, a Ruger M77 in 270. I won it at a DU banquet. Okay gun but don’t like the trigger and a few other issues. If not now, when? In June I ordered a Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC Mesa in left handed and a Leupold 3-15 x 44 scope. Rifle break in (new to me) and sighted in for 2” high at 100 yards and checked at 200 yards. I buy 4 different factory loads and can’t get any of them to group worth a shit. They are fine at 100 and okay at 200 but I don’t see the point in trying to shoot them at 300. After 30 years in MT and 30 or so big game animals, I have yet to shoot one at more than 200 yards. More on this later. Did I mention I am mostly an upland bird hunter. Big game hunting has been mostly a meat hunt.

In August I make plans with Dean, who had the 680 tag in 2018. The plan is to meet up the day before the rifle season opens (Sept 15). I had purchased a small used camper and he is bringing his jetboat, so we have river access and lodging. I am going sheep hunting! Also, the local biologist sends out an info packet, including recent counts and Township Range, and Section of previous kills. Lots of great information to review. I am going sheep hunting! Spoiler Alert, no tents will be slashed during my hunt!

1710902912320.png

I have had the same rifle for 30 years, a Ruger M77 in 270. I won it at a DU banquet. Okay gun but don’t like the trigger and a few other issues. If not now, when? In June I ordered a Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC Mesa in left handed and a Leupold 3-15 x 44 scope. Rifle break in (new to me) and sighted in for 2” high at 100 yards and checked at 200 yards. I buy 4 different factory loads and can’t get any of them to group worth a shit. They are fine at 100 and okay at 200 but I don’t see the point in trying to shoot them at 300. After 30 years in MT and 30 or so big game animals, I have yet to shoot one at more than 200 yards. More on this later. Did I mention I am mostly an upland bird hunter. Big game hunting has been mostly a meat hunt.

In August I make plans with Dean, who had the 680 tag in 2018. The plan is to meet up the day before the rifle season opens (Sept 15). I had purchased a small used camper and he is bringing his jetboat, so we have river access and lodging. I am going sheep hunting! Also, the local biologist sends out an info packet, including recent counts and Township Range, and Section of previous kills. Lots of great information to review. I am going sheep hunting! Spoiler Alert, no tents will be slashed during my hunt!

View attachment 319715
Good so far, I'm waiting...

I arrive Wednesday Sept 13 In Winifred with camper, and set up at the campground. The forecast is 75-85 degrees most days.

September 14th, I scouted east and west ends of the district via the roads. I met a fellow tag holder from Idaho. Nice guy his recommendation to me is about as far from him and still be in the same district (haha). Very warm out, doesn’t feel like hunting season.

Dean and I meet up in Lewistown later in the day. We stop by a friend of friend, that spends a lot of time on the river and in the breaks. He provides lots of valuable information and offers to help in any way he can. That evening in camp we meet another tag holder, he hunted the previous two weeks with his bow. He is holding his cards close.

After months/years of planning it is time to go sheep hunting in the morning!

1710955441142.png
I send this photo to my wife, and her response is "YOU AREN"T HUNTING IN THAT ARE YOU?" haha

I arrive Wednesday Sept 13 In Winifred with camper, and set up at the campground. The forecast is 75-85 degrees most days.

September 14th, I scouted east and west ends of the district via the roads. I met a fellow tag holder from Idaho. Nice guy his recommendation to me is about as far from him and still be in the same district (haha). Very warm out, doesn’t feel like hunting season.

Dean and I meet up in Lewistown later in the day. We stop by a friend of friend, that spends a lot of time on the river and in the breaks. He provides lots of valuable information and offers to help in any way he can. That evening in camp we meet another tag holder, he hunted the previous two weeks with his bow. He is holding his cards close.

After months/years of planning it is time to go sheep hunting in the morning!

View attachment 319759
I send this photo to my wife, and her response is "YOU AREN"T HUNTING IN THAT ARE YOU?" haha
Oh, I'm liking this!

Let the hunt begin...

Sept 15, Opening morning, lots of hunters on the roads. We stop and chat with most of them. All are nice. One is headed home by noon and says this isn’t what I thought it would be. After 5 hours? I find out later he went home and hired an outfitter. We saw 2 ewes and a lamb. Long day of mostly driving, glassing and hiking and glassing. We see our camp neighbor’s truck parked at a good glassing spot earlier in the day. Our camp neighbor, Bob, killed a 175ish ram. He saw this group of rams while archery hunting and got it done with his rifle. My first thought is ”lucky bastard” then I realize his hunt is over, mine is just beginning, I am the lucky bastard!

It is now a bit of a head game. Seeing lots of hunters, not many sheep and the weather is hot. Dean reminds me it is a LOOONNG season, enjoy! No truer words were ever spoken.

Sept 16, Hot. Looked for sheep from the Bob’s knob (5 ewes, 1 collar) and road. We chat with a warden (as seen on TV) and meet a father and his two sons, one of which has a ram tag. Super nice guys, we exchange phone numbers. We keep in touch and even share gear. We meet another tag holder and his friend as they pack up camp. I will just refer to the tag holder as first name Debbie, last name Downer. He can’t believe how hard this is and “all I want to do is shot a ram and get this over with” Sad. His friend appears to be breaking camp as fast as he can (like get me home). We don’t exchange numbers, no idea how his hunt turned out. I didn’t inspect their tent but in hindsight it may have been slashed!

UPDATE

As I edit my notes (March 2024), FWP sheep data is out. This may be the guy that shoot the 2.5 year old ram. Seriously, he just wanted to shoot one.

1710966611479.png

1710966637777.png

We meet another tag holder and his friend as they pack up camp. I will just refer to the tag holder as first name Debbie, last name Downer. He can’t believe how hard this is and “all I want to do is shot a ram and get this over with” Sad. His friend appears to be breaking camp as fast as he can (like get me home). We don’t exchange numbers, no idea how his hunt turned out. I didn’t inspect their tent but in hindsight it may have been slashed!
Pathetic! I wish there was some sort of pre-screening before handing out OIL tags to people.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back