Late Oct Pronghorn

Kiwi

Hi All, I'm in the planning stages of my 2023 western hunt and hoping you WY pronghorn experts can offer some advice. Unfortunately my current work schedule / family commitments means I cant hunt September but will be hunting mid - late October. Is this too late in the season for a good hunt? I have 7 points so am hoping to have a hunt with high opportunity.

Thanks in advance!

Many Wy pronghorn seasons OPEN Oct 15. I have killed a number of them the 3rd or 4th week of Oct.
The only Sep pronghorn hunts in the areas I hunt are the archery seasons.
I wouldn't sweat this detail.

My son and I did one the last week of October. Butcher shops were already starting to slow up so that may be an issue to just double check on. The guy I used met us and got it done but we needed to coordinate it with him.

As far as hunting, they were grouped up for the winter. We actually saw one group of 50 animals. Over 10 were decent bucks. Hard to make a stalk with that many eyes.

Only other thing to consider is that they typically start dropping their horns at the end of October. I shot one two years ago in MT on November 4 and probably half the bucks in the group were missing one or both horns. If you are looking for the most opportunity I would go on the earlier side.

Only other thing to consider is that they typically start dropping their horns at the end of October. I shot one two years ago in MT on November 4 and probably half the bucks in the group were missing one or both horns. If you are looking for the most opportunity I would go on the earlier side.
I think the median drop date is in November most years, though. I like being able to look at herd and see 15 bucks to compare all at once. It might be a fun hunt if you can find those herds!

Really look at the units you want to hunt, if you can't be there until later in the season there's a chance there might be a unit 'type X' tag with a later starting date and better draw odds than the 'type 1' tag. Have you been antelope hunting before? They're a beautiful animal and one of my favorites to hunt. Good luck!

Really look at the units you want to hunt, if you can't be there until later in the season there's a chance there might be a unit 'type X' tag with a later starting date and better draw odds than the 'type 1' tag. Have you been antelope hunting before? They're a beautiful animal and one of my favorites to hunt. Good luck!
That’s a good idea, I’ll do that!

Yes, I hunted antelope about 7 years ago in WY. Had an amazing time and got one spot and stalk with my bow. It’s now shoulder mounted at home in New Zealand.
BB43B577-27F3-4AE9-BCE2-8291360CADEC.jpeg

Being a Wyoming Resident I get the luxury of being able to hunt them for over 2 months on the same tag. After years of doing it and countless harvests I now either hunt them in August with a bow or wait until mid October. You will also find that some tags (Type 2) have a better draw odds for the same unit because the season starts a little later for rifle the archery dates are the same opener.

Last few years we haven't got to hunting until later. It's a great time. The weather can be bad, but the same can be said for earlier. Have fun and good luck!

Depending on the unit later may be better cause the crowd is gone and anims return to normal patterns

Plus cooling the meat is easier 😃

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to get harvested game meat back into New Zealand?
Cant say for sure as I haven't taken any meat back to NZ. I eat as much as I can during my stay and share the meat with friends while there.

I friend did try and bring his elk meat back, but it was taken off him at the border.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back