Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ready to pull the trigger!

warmer

Well, kinda. After 2 months of research, several phone calls, multiple e-mails and hours of pouring over maps and data, I have finally decided on a CO unit for my first archery elk hunt. My son and I are going OYO, hopefully with one other experienced hunter! I am scared and excited at the thought of a new experience! Any advice to keep me alive and get me back home safely? I sure would appreciate it!

don't die!:eek: which part of the state are you going to? OTC or draw?

Gonna try draw first, stats from 2010 indicate we should draw 1st choice. If we don't will go OTC, 161 probably.

We have hunted elk 3 other times. All with rifle and all in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Have archery hunted whitetails for 7 years, right at home, farm country, east river.

I love it when Dink's honey holes are posted for everyone to read! Oh this is the wrong thread Dink's honey hole is posted in the "First Week of Spring" thread!

My helpfull hint would be to stay in the woods all day, you'll never kill them from the truck or on the wheeler (Legally).

My best advise...marked out your 2012/2013/2014, etc. calendars for september. you wil be hooked on archery elk hunting.

How does one pour over maps and data for hours and hours? With these sites and forums and technology (google maps, twitter, email, etc)......pick a unit, pick a mountain or two, and then hit it baby! Spend the 'hours and hours' training for the bowhunting exeperience.
Advice to keep you alive --- leave the ATV at home, wear out the boot leather, be very careful with your broadhead (spot and stalk with a nocked arrow), and weather turns quickly, so be prepared. (How old is your son?) Back home safely --- use a garmin rhino, and dont drink and drive.

Any advice to keep me alive and get me back home safely? I sure would appreciate it!
Take pics! They last a lifetime. I tried to video a buddies hunt on a nice bull archery season... only to fubar the record - I have yet to hear the last of that - prob never will... Seems I owe him beer every darn time we meet up! Haha!

How does one pour over maps and data for hours and hours? With these sites and forums and technology (google maps, twitter, email, etc)......pick a unit, pick a mountain or two, and then hit it baby! Spend the 'hours and hours' training for the bowhunting exeperience.
Advice to keep you alive --- leave the ATV at home, wear out the boot leather, be very careful with your broadhead (spot and stalk with a nocked arrow), and weather turns quickly, so be prepared. (How old is your son?) Back home safely --- use a garmin rhino, and dont drink and drive.

Specific information is tough to get out of anyone, so I just was asking for general info.
Which I did get! Thank you to everyone!
I thought studying maps, data, unit acess, Google earth and researching as much as possible was very important to an inexperienced hunter. Now you have really simplified it for me! My sons are 25 and 23. Both have been my hunting partners since they were 12. Their job is to make sure I get home to their mother alive!

Their job is to make sure I get home to their mother alive!

Probably the other way around, if I know mothers at all.

A good man in good country like unit 161 should pull out a bull a day:D Heck a limited tag means 2 bulls a day to a good man:D

If you draw your limited tag I would wait till the end of the season. Anymore, if you are OTC I would go before the muzzy loaders, there is a bunch of them.

Back