Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

NM 6B Valles Caldera Early Archery Elk Hunt

wsking

This year I had the good fortune of drawing an early archery tag (Sept 1-14) in NM for Unit 6B - Valles Caldera. I've done some rifle hunting out West the past few years but this will be my first archery hunt for elk and I have never killed an elk. This unit is very unique in how it was managed previously and the continued lack of hunting pressure that it now receives. The more I research, the more excited I am about the hunt in September.

Despite this, I still feel pretty unprepared for what is coming my way. I am hoping to gain some insight and advice on things I should consider leading up to the hunt that I may not be thinking about.

My biggest priority currently is becoming much more proficient with my bow and extending my effective shooting distance. I'm also working on putting together a new arrow/broadhead setup as I have never hunted anything as large as an elk with my bow. I have been doing quite a bit of e-scouting and working to develop a plan to start the season. This summer, in June, I plan for visit the Valles Caldera multiple days to try to get a better lay of the land to be ready for September. I have talked with a few previous hunters who drew a tag for this unit and have gotten very different stories on elk behavior and tactics during the archery seasons. I think this could be partly due to drought vs. wet conditions in previous years. At this time, the unit is not in any kind of drought.

I don't plan on holding out for an elk with a certain score/size of antler, though I have been told I should try to be patient if I can.
More than anything I want to have a great experience and enjoy the hunt while having done my work and preparation ahead of time to be successful.
Any helpful advice as I really dig into the planning for this hunt would be much appreciated.

You're on the right track. Though elk behavior will be much different in September, a scouting trip in summer to get a lay of the land is going to give you a major advantage.

Practice shooting your bow daily and recognize your limitations. 40 yards or less on an elk is very doable and my personal limitation. Shooting consistently, with good form, will help tremendously in the moment of truth. More often than not, instinct is going to take over when the shot opportunity comes and you want your body to remember the process without having to think about it.

Also, know that getting a good range before taking a shot is not always going to happen. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will be in estimating range and you can apply that when things escalate quickly. I like to challenge myself anytime I'm in the woods and guess ranges, using my memory of distances shooting in the yard and applying that to my estimate. Then, fact check yourself with a range finder.

That tag you got is a glory tag. More than likely once in a lifetime. Enjoy it and shoot whatever makes you happy. That said, know that the potential to shoot a large bull is very good and you are likely to have many encounters with branch antlered bulls. If for nothing else, hold out so you can enjoy the time in those mountains. Though you're likely to hear plenty of bugling and experience some rutting action from day one, every day you are there the rut will escalate and the hunting is going to get better and better.

Practice your calling. I'm a big fan of Elk Nut. He has a great app that will give you an edge when its game time.

Best of luck and PLEASE let us know how it goes!

Good luck!!!! That should be a fun hunt. Biggest thing that sticks in my mind is the bulls may not want to cooperate to calling very well that early in the season. Your quite a bit farther north then the gila but when I had the first hunt in the gila cow calls were definitely better than bugling during the first week of Sept. But like everything else that can change year to year to. Bulls were finally starting to crank up the second week when I was there

Practice shooting, calling, hiking etc. I'd say you're on the right track. Jay scott put on his instagram a series on how to field judge elk that I feel is pretty idiotproof. I would say to study that because when a bull is screaming in your face, they all look big. Therefore having some things to rationally note about the bull's size will help you from getting caught up in the heat of the moment and shooting a raghorn. There's been good amounts of moisture in the southwest so there should be some good antler growth on mature bulls.

I would also like to suggest "stress training" yourself for shooting. Meaning practice holding your bow at full draw for as long as possible when you're tired and sweaty. Go to a range with multiple targets at multiple ranges and have your friend tell you what target to hit and try to immediately 10 ring that target. Do things that will help you overcome your nerves and make a good shot for those situations that will happen fast.

I shot my first archery bull in AZ last fall. It was a blast. I wish I could give you some more advice regarding your specific hunt. Nonetheless I'm excited to hear how it goes. Keep us all updated with your training and etc.

You're on the right track. Though elk behavior will be much different in September, a scouting trip in summer to get a lay of the land is going to give you a major advantage.

Practice shooting your bow daily and recognize your limitations. 40 yards or less on an elk is very doable and my personal limitation. Shooting consistently, with good form, will help tremendously in the moment of truth. More often than not, instinct is going to take over when the shot opportunity comes and you want your body to remember the process without having to think about it.

Also, know that getting a good range before taking a shot is not always going to happen. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will be in estimating range and you can apply that when things escalate quickly. I like to challenge myself anytime I'm in the woods and guess ranges, using my memory of distances shooting in the yard and applying that to my estimate. Then, fact check yourself with a range finder.

That tag you got is a glory tag. More than likely once in a lifetime. Enjoy it and shoot whatever makes you happy. That said, know that the potential to shoot a large bull is very good and you are likely to have many encounters with branch antlered bulls. If for nothing else, hold out so you can enjoy the time in those mountains. Though you're likely to hear plenty of bugling and experience some rutting action from day one, every day you are there the rut will escalate and the hunting is going to get better and better.

Practice your calling. I'm a big fan of Elk Nut. He has a great app that will give you an edge when its game time.

Best of luck and PLEASE let us know how it goes!
Appreciate the response and especially the archery advice! I've just started to do some of that when I practice. I have been shooting between 30-50 arrows each day but I need to do more of the variation and estimating ranges, then checking them.

I am definitely treating this like it will be a once is a lifetime tag. It is a hard balance for this unit between wanting to be successful and wanting to fully take in the experience. I think you are right and the further into September it gets, the more action/encounters there will be.

I will check out Elk Nut and do my best to give updates along the way!

Good luck!!!! That should be a fun hunt. Biggest thing that sticks in my mind is the bulls may not want to cooperate to calling very well that early in the season. Your quite a bit farther north then the gila but when I had the first hunt in the gila cow calls were definitely better than bugling during the first week of Sept. But like everything else that can change year to year to. Bulls were finally starting to crank up the second week when I was there
Thanks for the reply! I think you're right about that. The further into September, the more things will pick up. I've heard that cow calls early are a good way to go early on a hunt like this, so it's good to hear you say that too.

Practice shooting, calling, hiking etc. I'd say you're on the right track. Jay scott put on his instagram a series on how to field judge elk that I feel is pretty idiotproof. I would say to study that because when a bull is screaming in your face, they all look big. Therefore having some things to rationally note about the bull's size will help you from getting caught up in the heat of the moment and shooting a raghorn. There's been good amounts of moisture in the southwest so there should be some good antler growth on mature bulls.

I would also like to suggest "stress training" yourself for shooting. Meaning practice holding your bow at full draw for as long as possible when you're tired and sweaty. Go to a range with multiple targets at multiple ranges and have your friend tell you what target to hit and try to immediately 10 ring that target. Do things that will help you overcome your nerves and make a good shot for those situations that will happen fast.

I shot my first archery bull in AZ last fall. It was a blast. I wish I could give you some more advice regarding your specific hunt. Nonetheless I'm excited to hear how it goes. Keep us all updated with your training and etc.
Thanks for the reply! I watched that series by Jay Scott last week. It is top notch. That really helped me get an idea of field judging because I haven't done much of that before.

The stress training sounds like a great idea. I have been looking for ways to push myself with the archery preparation and that would be a good one to add.

Congrats on the AZ bull this past fall! I will certainly do my best to give updates along the way

Practice all the positions of shooting and shooting with your pack on. Shoot after you do a conditioning run with your pulse racing.

Go Turkey hunting with no blind, run and gun for the closest thing to an Elk hunt when you have a bull coming in.

And most of all when you feel absolutely miserable because a setup didn't work or you missed a bull, remember all of us would love to be that miserable.

Why are you changing arrow and broadhead setup?

Only advice is what I am doing for my hunt. Find water on the map. Without knowing what the monsoon season brings, you have to prepare for a lot of possibilities.

Why are you changing arrow and broadhead setup?

Only advice is what I am doing for my hunt. Find water on the map. Without knowing what the monsoon season brings, you have to prepare for a lot of possibilities.
Currently I am shooting a setup that's around 400 gr and I wanted to go heavier for elk. With the increased weight, plan to go with a little stiffer spine.

You're definitely right about that. If the rains don't come in July/August, it will change things. Hopefully it stays fairly wet but will have to adjust if needed.

Practice all the positions of shooting and shooting with your pack on. Shoot after you do a conditioning run with your pulse racing.

Go Turkey hunting with no blind, run and gun for the closest thing to an Elk hunt when you have a bull coming in.

And most of all when you feel absolutely miserable because a setup didn't work or you missed a bull, remember all of us would love to be that miserable.
Great advice. I have been shooting with my binocular/rangefinder harness on but I should do some shooting with my pack on too.

Just about a week left of turkey season here in Texas, so I may try to get out at least one more time and do some of that.

The last piece of advice was probably the best. I sincerely appreciate it.

Currently I am shooting a setup that's around 400 gr and I wanted to go heavier for elk. With the increased weight, plan to go with a little stiffer spine.

You're definitely right about that. If the rains don't come in July/August, it will change things. Hopefully it stays fairly wet but will have to adjust if needed.
Makes sense, but I always worry about starting something new. Changing arrows is a lot of work to get to the point you feel confident in the setup.

Good luck and keep us updated. It should be a great time.

Makes sense, but I always worry about starting something new. Changing arrows is a lot of work to get to the point you feel confident in the setup.

Good luck and keep us updated. It should be a great time.
It will certainly take some work and time but I’m hoping to finalize my setup soon and then work out the kinks as quick as I can.

I appreciate it! Will do my best to post updates.

I've killed lots of elk with an arrow weighing in at about 405 grains. I don't think that will be a problem.

Just take it all in and enjoy the experience! The elk will come with hard work and determination each day. No experience in that unit but I'd suspect the bulls will become more active as the hunt goes on. Should be one heck of a trip. Congrats on a great tag. Can't wait to hear the story.

Just take it all in and enjoy the experience! The elk will come with hard work and determination each day. No experience in that unit but I'd suspect the bulls will become more active as the hunt goes on. Should be one heck of a trip. Congrats on a great tag. Can't wait to hear the story.
Appreciate the advice! I certainly hope the preparation and hard work gets the job done. Will do my best to share the story afterwards.

This is from the day before the archery opener a few years back. There's a couple of elk around there. Sorry for the poor quality, just holding my phone up to a terrible spotter.

It is crazy how many elk are out there in the preserve. Did you hunt the unit?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back