Caribou Gear

NM 6B Valles Caldera Early Archery Elk Hunt

It is crazy how many elk are out there in the preserve. Did you hunt the unit?
No, the draw odds are too long. I can't draw 6A let alone B. We have a cabin down the road so I spend a lot of time in the area. I can't imagine a better elk hunt in terms of elk density and so few hunters. Congrats.

Feel free to dm me if you have any logistical questions about the area or whatnot. I regularly glass some peaks that are in the Caldera, and you will see bulls feeding up the mountains every morning, often in the same areas. Then September comes and they aren't there until the rut ends, then they're back. I think scouting in June will pay dividends in early September if the rut isn't on yet. From a distance, they seem patternable. Good luck.

You're on the right track. Though elk behavior will be much different in September, a scouting trip in summer to get a lay of the land is going to give you a major advantage.

Practice shooting your bow daily and recognize your limitations. 40 yards or less on an elk is very doable and my personal limitation. Shooting consistently, with good form, will help tremendously in the moment of truth. More often than not, instinct is going to take over when the shot opportunity comes and you want your body to remember the process without having to think about it.

Also, know that getting a good range before taking a shot is not always going to happen. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will be in estimating range and you can apply that when things escalate quickly. I like to challenge myself anytime I'm in the woods and guess ranges, using my memory of distances shooting in the yard and applying that to my estimate. Then, fact check yourself with a range finder.

That tag you got is a glory tag. More than likely once in a lifetime. Enjoy it and shoot whatever makes you happy. That said, know that the potential to shoot a large bull is very good and you are likely to have many encounters with branch antlered bulls. If for nothing else, hold out so you can enjoy the time in those mountains. Though you're likely to hear plenty of bugling and experience some rutting action from day one, every day you are there the rut will escalate and the hunting is going to get better and better.

Practice your calling. I'm a big fan of Elk Nut. He has a great app that will give you an edge when its game time.

Best of luck and PLEASE let us know how it goes!
Kayak offers the best possible advice for your circumstance on all counts from prep/practice to considering allowing yourself the opportunity to ENJOY what may be the best elk hunt you ever draw. VC is an incredible place stuffed with mature bulls. For the rest of you life you will never regret dragging it out to a week-plus experience as comparedc to killing a bull in first day our two.

Don’t let the fact this is a true glory OIL type tag get in your head or cause undue pressure, just try to savor it if you can.

Kayak offers the best possible advice for your circumstance on all counts from prep/practice to considering allowing yourself the opportunity to ENJOY what may be the best elk hunt you ever draw. VC is an incredible place stuffed with mature bulls. For the rest of you life you will never regret dragging it out to a week-plus experience as compared to killing a bull in first day our two.

Don’t let the fact this is a true glory OIL type tag get in your head or cause undue pressure, just try to savor it if you can.
I think you're right on the money with this (and what Kayak said). The more I have talked to others who have visited/hunted the area, the more advice I have gotten that is just like what you are both saying. Do all of the prep but be sure to fully enjoy the experience. No doubt this is likely the best tag I will ever draw and want to be ready but it's all for not if I can't appreciate the moments as they come. Appreciate the advice!

Calling actually works there because of the big bulls. And, Stalking is tough, because it is a little too open. However, there is a 3-day peak of the rut somewhere between Sept. 15-20 when success rates soar. This falls after your season. Hunt late in your season and take a second person to call behind you. Old bulls hang up out of range just like old turkeys.

Calling actually works there because of the big bulls. And, Stalking is tough, because it is a little too open. However, there is a 3-day peak of the rut somewhere between Sept. 15-20 when success rates soar. This falls after your season. Hunt late in your season and take a second person to call behind you. Old bulls hang up out of range just like old turkeys.
Appreciate the response! That is good information to have. Did you get a chance to hunt the unit?

I backpacked thru there in 2019 while at Philmont. Heard elk talking all night long and that was in June. Would love to go back with a tag. Good luck

No, the draw odds are too long. I can't draw 6A let alone B. We have a cabin down the road so I spend a lot of time in the area. I can't imagine a better elk hunt in terms of elk density and so few hunters. Congrats.

Feel free to dm me if you have any logistical questions about the area or whatnot. I regularly glass some peaks that are in the Caldera, and you will see bulls feeding up the mountains every morning, often in the same areas. Then September comes and they aren't there until the rut ends, then they're back. I think scouting in June will pay dividends in early September if the rut isn't on yet. From a distance, they seem patternable. Good luck.
A buddy and I drew 6A this year. It's only my second year elk hunting so I have lots to learn. I'm going to send you a dm with some questions about the unit.

Just finished up my scouting trip out at the Caldera this past week and figured I would give an update:
I found an archery mentor/coach near my location who is helping me as I prepare for September. His help has been invaluable and I definitely feel more confident in regards to the archery side of things. Still lots of practice and work to do but headed in the right direction.
As far as scouting, I was able to spend 4 days at the Valles Caldera. Driving the backcountry roads and becoming familiar with the terrain has been great. Saw hundreds of cows and calves out in the Valle Grande, which can’t be hunted but is incredible to witness. The scenery was breathtaking. Was able to locate at least a few bulls each day either early or late out by Hwy 4 on the South side of the preserve. The last day proved to be the most fruitful, seeing a bachelor group of over 30 bulls (many already 5x5 or better).
Walked away from the scouting trip with a solid lay of the landscape and a plan for where to start in September (along with many back-up plans).
The NPS staff at the Caldera was helpful in trying to help answer a few questions I had about the regulations that come along with this hunt. Great people all the away around.
Excited to keep practicing with my bow and get out there in September. Attached are a few pictures that I got while scouting.IMG_3717.jpegIMG_3678.jpegIMG_3675.jpegIMG_3740.jpeg

Just don't get cocky with all the encouragement and all the elk - it is still a HUNT, not shooting fish in the barrel. A friend of mine, who is maybe the most successful hunter I have known, struck out last year. Maybe a bit choosy, but flat struck out. And he knows the area, living only a handful of miles away in Los Alamos. So keep in mind there are no guarantees, but you have drawn an absolutely wonderful tag.

David
NM

Just don't get cocky with all the encouragement and all the elk - it is still a HUNT, not shooting fish in the barrel. A friend of mine, who is maybe the most successful hunter I have known, struck out last year. Maybe a bit choosy, but flat struck out. And he knows the area, living only a handful of miles away in Los Alamos. So keep in mind there are no guarantees, but you have drawn an absolutely wonderful tag.

David
NM
Appreciate the reply David. I am tracking what you’re saying and hope my posts haven’t come off otherwise. Certainly no guarantees at all when it comes to harvest. Hopeful that my preparation just gives me a chance to put myself in a spot to have a great experience and encounters this fall. What season did your friend have?

Just finished up my scouting trip out at the Caldera this past week and figured I would give an update:
I found an archery mentor/coach near my location who is helping me as I prepare for September. His help has been invaluable and I definitely feel more confident in regards to the archery side of things. Still lots of practice and work to do but headed in the right direction.
As far as scouting, I was able to spend 4 days at the Valles Caldera. Driving the backcountry roads and becoming familiar with the terrain has been great. Saw hundreds of cows and calves out in the Valle Grande, which can’t be hunted but is incredible to witness. The scenery was breathtaking. Was able to locate at least a few bulls each day either early or late out by Hwy 4 on the South side of the preserve. The last day proved to be the most fruitful, seeing a bachelor group of over 30 bulls (many already 5x5 or better).
Walked away from the scouting trip with a solid lay of the landscape and a plan for where to start in September (along with many back-up plans).
The NPS staff at the Caldera was helpful in trying to help answer a few questions I had about the regulations that come along with this hunt. Great people all the away around.
Excited to keep practicing with my bow and get out there in September. Attached are a few pictures that I got while scouting.View attachment 281800View attachment 281797View attachment 281798View attachment 281799
All I can say is hike hike and hike. Get in shape. It's a walk in unit and walk out unit for hunting. Your hunt will be better 2nd week of your hunt. U have the possibility of passing up bulls everyday if there fired up

Appreciate the reply David. I am tracking what you’re saying and hope my posts haven’t come off otherwise. Certainly no guarantees at all when it comes to harvest. Hopeful that my preparation just gives me a chance to put myself in a spot to have a great experience and encounters this fall. What season did your friend have?
First season bow.

I was NOT implying you were getting cocky - just saying that there is no guarantee. No matter how many elk you see, or how many folks tell you it is a gravy hunt.

David
NM

All I can say is hike hike and hike. Get in shape. It's a walk in unit and walk out unit for hunting. Your hunt will be better 2nd week of your hunt. U have the possibility of passing up bulls everyday if there fired up
Appreciate the response and advice. Did you get a chance to hunt the unit?

This year I had the good fortune of drawing an early archery tag (Sept 1-14) in NM for Unit 6B - Valles Caldera. I've done some rifle hunting out West the past few years but this will be my first archery hunt for elk and I have never killed an elk. This unit is very unique in how it was managed previously and the continued lack of hunting pressure that it now receives. The more I research, the more excited I am about the hunt in September.

Despite this, I still feel pretty unprepared for what is coming my way. I am hoping to gain some insight and advice on things I should consider leading up to the hunt that I may not be thinking about.

My biggest priority currently is becoming much more proficient with my bow and extending my effective shooting distance. I'm also working on putting together a new arrow/broadhead setup as I have never hunted anything as large as an elk with my bow. I have been doing quite a bit of e-scouting and working to develop a plan to start the season. This summer, in June, I plan for visit the Valles Caldera multiple days to try to get a better lay of the land to be ready for September. I have talked with a few previous hunters who drew a tag for this unit and have gotten very different stories on elk behavior and tactics during the archery seasons. I think this could be partly due to drought vs. wet conditions in previous years. At this time, the unit is not in any kind of drought.

I don't plan on holding out for an elk with a certain score/size of antler, though I have been told I should try to be patient if I can.
More than anything I want to have a great experience and enjoy the hunt while having done my work and preparation ahead of time to be successful.
Any helpful advice as I really dig into the planning for this hunt would be much appreciated.
I drew that tag as a Non Res in 2007 and had to go on that hunt 1 month after my Honeymoon. My new (still) bride could not believe or understand why I was leaving her for 2 weeks to go hunting! She "gets" it now but she does not "forget" that I did that. (They never forget. LOL!) I can help you but I'm not one to post "honey hole" secrets on an open forum, even for a once-in-a-lifetime, limited draw area like VC. e-Mail me at [email protected].

Excited to keep practicing with my bow and get out there in September. Attached are a few pictures that I got while scouting.View attachment 281800View attachment 281797View attachment 281798View attachment 281799
Awesome nursery photo! Beautiful country, would be wonderful just to be able to tour around.

Nobody has mentioned it, and I don't know how it applies on the VC, but elk are big animals and if this is your first elk hunt, be prepared to process quickly in the heat of September.

Like others have said above all else, enjoy the hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back