Utah LE elk hunt

Today was crazy. I was in them very thick but the underbrush was thicker. I followed the morning herb for over and hour. I was never more than 70 yards from them but never saw more than feet. He was glunking and everything a bull should do. At one point I was on my hands and knees trying to crawl through the brush. I was super loaud but the elk were just as loud moving through the brush. I though I had them at one point when the bull was just on the opposite side of a brush thicket. It was less than 30 yards and I could see its feet but not its body or rack.

Long story short, eventulaay they moved into the open and it was beautiful 7x7 that was north of 350. They were at 250 and too far for me to shoot. They met up with another herd and chaos erupted. Both herd moved onto private. The other bull was a beautiful 6x6 that was about 350. Two awesome bulls.

This is one via IPhone. Can’t really tell but trust me…big bull


IMG_3145.jpeg
I had nothing to do but walk back to the car. This is where the day and the hunt take a turn, literally. I somehow twisted my right knee. I had to sit down and could barely move. As I was sitting there I had a bull bugle at me down the hill. I let out a vow call and another herd bull was coming in. Before he got there a little satellite 4x4 came in. Not sure you can see him but he is there. This is how thick it was.IMG_3150.jpegit the winds started to swirl and I had to back out. My knee was bad. I went to and insta care in Heber UT mid day. The Dr said ex rays looked good but I am in pain…but I am on a LE elk hunt.
 
Against my wife’s protest and DR orders I went back out tonight. It was crazy. I watched a massive lightning storm move across Steawberry Resevior as I was heading back out. I got to the trail head and was hobbling up the trail. It was a real bad Idea that got much worse. About 300 yards up the trail I spotted the 7x7 on the same rifdge I had chased him up earlier in the morning. He was back in public. I went after him. I was moving way to slow to catch him but the herd was simply feeding in a meadow. As I got close mutiple gun shots rang out. A person had pulled into the canyon and started recreation shooting. The elk slowly moved back to private. I couldn’t do anything other than watch the rut fest 200 yard onto private.

It took forever to get back to the car which was less than a mile. I am taking the day off tomorrow and it my knee does not get better, my hunt is over.

It has been awesome so far and sitting on that ridge tonight watching the 7x7 chase off satellites was a great memory.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,092
Messages
2,249,406
Members
39,090
Latest member
STRONGTALK
Back
Top