Rainy Sunday Roast

----

Inspired by Sapper Dawg's thread-

Step one- Obtain roast-

P1010265_zpsilwemkyz.jpg

Step two- Liberally apply rub. Mine consists of salt, oregano, sumac, coffee, black pepper, garlic powder and cocoa powder.

20151213_124133_zpsvjqcici2.jpg

20151213_124523_zpsh4evywid.jpg

Let sit overnight.

Step 3- Cover roast in olive oil. Roast uncovered in oven at 400° to preferred temperature. This was a ~3 lb roast and took maybe 1.25 hours to get to 120°.

20151213_160424_zps06dte26x.jpg

Step 4- eat roast

20151213_175035_zpsoq2qow9z.jpg

20151213_175643_zpsiiomokpp.jpg

0/10 for presentation. The horseradish was not needed.

Is horseradish ever needed? Okay, I'm not a horseradish fan, but I know many are. I like the field-to-plate recipes/photo journal. That looks mighty tasty!

Great minds think alike, we had an Elk Roast this evening at my house. Turned out pretty good just wish I had taken it out a little sooner.

Looks awesome. Just looking at that bark makes my mouth water.

How does Caribou taste compared to elk? Did you leave that silverskin on when you rubbed it?

I can vouch for the flavor of cairbou. It is awesome. Randy brought some down to elk camp in September. I thought I was going to enter a meat coma from the elk tenderloin, caribou backstrap, fried potato, and bourbon dinner. Where did those two random guys passing around that bottle of whiskey even come from?!?!

How does Caribou taste compared to elk? Did you leave that silverskin on when you rubbed it?

It's leaner, and more tender than bull elk. It also has less flavor. It's more comparable to pronghorn than elk, in my opinion. Again, a bit less of it's own flavor though. It's great stuff, I would gladly fill my freezer with it every year if I had the opportunity.

I rubbed the meat right after taking that picture, no more trimming. I think I tend to leave more fat and silverskin on all my meat than most people do.

Right after this hunt it struck me that Caribou are close to the ideal game animal. Delicious meat, disproportionately large antlers, beautiful capes, and a blast to hunt. Everyone owes it to themselves to do it once in their lives.

Back