Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Rainy Sunday Roast

What cut is that? I tend to make roasts out of things like sirloin tip that have a LOT of sinew and stuff. I cook them well done in the crock pot until they are fork tender and fall apart.

When I cook mine at that temperature they tend to end up too tough.

That looks like a great recipe for something like prime rib or something like that. Next time I butcher something I need to remember to save some meat that I would normally cut into steaks and instead of slicing it into steaks leave it together and cook it like that instead.

Where did those two random guys passing around that bottle of whiskey even come from?!?!

Tough to say. The one guy couldn't talk due to the excessive amount of libation he consumed. The other sounded like he was from MT. Claimed he knew, or knew of, Big Finn. Either way, the meat was excellent. And those potatoes.....

Tough to say. The one guy couldn't talk due to the excessive amount of libation he consumed. The other sounded like he was from MT. Claimed he knew, or knew of, Big Finn. Either way, the meat was excellent. And those potatoes.....

That tenderloin may have convinced me to try elk hunting again one day.

Nathan- This was the sirloin tip. I'm sure it would've toughened up quick if I let it go any longer. Rare is definitely the way to go on this recipe. Like I said, I pulled it at 120°

I'm going to try the same recipe on Christmas but with a whole antelope hind quarter. Hopefully it turns out as well.

That doesn't look like a sirloin tip to me? I'm terrible on what cut each piece of meat is though. I thought the sirloin tip was the bicep type muscle group that goes down to the back knee. That piece looks like bottom round to me in the pictures that I can find.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=266304

I thought the picture in this thread posted by RobG did a good job showing each cut, but maybe it isn't accurate.

Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. :D

Randy.....think of elk hunting as charity work. You are teaching us MN flatlanders something it would take a lifetime to teach ourselves.

Randy,

Next time, before you put in the oven sear the hell out of the outside of it. Get your pan really hot, put some oil in it, and brown all the sides at high temp.

Randy,

Next time, before you put in the oven sear the hell out of the outside of it. Get your pan really hot, put some oil in it, and brown all the sides at high temp.

I debated for a long time at doing this. I decided that having the olive oil coating in the oven would do the same thing, it didn't. Next time I definitely will.

Randy, that looks mouth watering.
Downside, you are bringing out the 'cook' side of people
I, like you, rub the oil on the meat, but the pan is dry, and i prefer vegetable oil as it can cope with the searing heat better than olive oil in my opinion, then i let it 'rest' before carving.
We had a Moroccan venison casserole tonight.
Damn it's almost midnight as i type this and you have made me really hungry!
Cheers
Richard

Very nice, Randy! How was Alaska?
Late response as your mouth watering pictures were blocked damn work computers...

Looks awesome!

Dude....I saw the 'I rubbed the meat' comment and wanted to run with it in my normal juvenile fashion....but this is a family sight :hump:

Looks great! I think you have provided me some inspiration for a few pieces of meat in my freezer

Randy,

How prevalent is the coffee flavor in the roast? My wife can't stand the taste of coffee, but I'm wondering if the cocoa kind of washes it out?

Randy,

How prevalent is the coffee flavor in the roast? My wife can't stand the taste of coffee, but I'm wondering if the cocoa kind of washes it out?

Naw, you can't really pick up the coffee. The spices overpower it. If she's that averse to the taste though there's no reason to add it in.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back