3 pound lean chuck roast

Marinade/Rub
1/4 cup Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 Teaspoon fresh black pepper
1 Teaspoon Sessame oil

Bring the meat to room temperature then combine the marinade ingredients and rub all sides of the meat well. place the meat in a zip lock bag with any remaining marinade and refrigerate for 3 days.

1/2 cup chicken or beef stock.
1 medium onion thinly sliced
1/4 cup flour
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh Rosemary leaves
4 bay leaves

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a roasting bag lay a layer of thinly sliced onion (about half the onion) and sprinkle about a teaspoon of fresh Rosemary leaves. Dust the meat on all sides with flour and brown off in olive oil. Allow to cool before placing it in the bag. Place the cooled roast into the oven bag and place the remaining onion and Rosemary on top along with the bay leaves. Add about a half cup of chicken or beef stock to the original ziplock bag and use it to wash out the marinade that remains. Add this liquid to the roasting bag. Seal the bag and allow the meat to roast for three or more hours until the meat is fork tender. Reserve the liquids for gravy or reduce to stock for later use.

Trial Number One is in the oven; I'll keep you informed! :D

OK; but a little flat! Input please. I'm doubeling the spices and adding the second half after the 2nd hour of cooking time. Adding another 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper, 1/4 teaspoon MSG, a half cup diced mushrooms, and 1/4 cup red wine. That ought to do it. :D

Paws, this sounds nuts and everybody says it can't work, but it does...put dry powdered Italian dressing mix in the bottom of a crock pot (Also rub some powder on the roast if desired), then sit the roast on top and let simmer as usual (DO NOT ADD WATER!). The meat makes its own liquid and you wind up with a roast with a nice, zippy Italian flavor.

A co-worker tried it with powdered ranch dressing and said it was good, too, but that sounds like a little much for me. ;)

Paws, add 1/2 cup of molasses.
hump.gif

LOL, thanks guys!! :D DG; I'll give that a shot too. I have used the liquid for a marinade before and it turns out pretty good. Got to tell you boys though; 1985, after the wife and I had split I was invited there for dinner and she cooked a beef loin roast that was the best piece of meat I ever smacked a lip on. Naturally there was no way in hell I was going to tell her so! :rolleyes: Wish I had that recipe!

What's up with you guys? Trying to ruin a perfectly good Meal?

No Garlic, No Pepper....Chickry and Poke weed

And Chicken Lips are out of season till fall. If ya gotta have that for a recipe, you'll need to get yer hands on a Turkey Vulture. Soak the lips in some saltwater/Epsons brine for a day or so.

SSSHHHEE I thought you guys could cook :confused: :confused:

The ArmyUS Cavalry circa 1870ish says; Melt down your fat in the bottom of a pan and put your meat in it. Flour it and put your herbs on the top of it. Cover it and cook it slow until it forms a gravy in the bottom of the pan and let it cook until the gravy is almost dry. Then add water and make soup! :D

It works, it really really works! I did it the Army way in a Dutch oven and it turned out great. Only mods I made was flour it and brown it off first and used 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, tyme leaves, ginger, and I seasoned the flour with salt and pepper. Used Beef broth instead of water after she browned up and cooked it under the lid really really slow. :D

Istill got to try the crock pot thing DG and the herb thing Gunner. I'll let you guys know how it works. I kind of have to be careful with the molasses; sugar you know! :D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back