Deer Neck Meat

It looks like everyone is cooking today...

I just put an elk shoulder roast in the crock pot. I seasoned it with salt and pepper, browned it in bacon grease, then sauteed the holy Trinity (celery, onion, bell pepper) and some garlic. Then returned the roast to the crock pot with some homemade duck stock, paprika, chili powder, coriander and more black pepper.

I'll be adding carrots and potatoes to the mix in about 4 hours

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209-063731__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209-063731__01.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230209-063725__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209-063725__01.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 5
Just wondering for those of you that keep the neck meat, do you grind it whole, or do you try to separate the white stuff from the meat before grinding?

Last edited:
Just wondering for those of you that keep the neck meat, do you grind it whole, or do you try to separate the white stuff from the meat before grinding?
I take the time to trim it all up and save for grinding. I like to have plenty of meat around for grinding, not only for burger but I make brats, texas style hot links, breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, bulk kielbasa, summer sausage, etc.

Thanks I like to make sausage (smoked mostly), and burger. I wanted to try to salvage as much meat as possible, but didn't want to ruin it with the white stuff that seems to permeate the neck meat.

Might have to give these recipes a try. I usually just bone out the neck for burger or sausage.

I'm not a huge fan of deer neck, but other game its A+. I usually grind it on deer. Other animals, its roasts. Moose neck in an instapot is one of my favorite comfort food type meals.

I'm not a huge fan of deer neck, but other game its A+. I usually grind it on deer. Other animals, its roasts. Moose neck in an instapot is one of my favorite comfort food type meals.
Moose is on my list. Some day.

Just got done eating this neck roast sandwich, crock pot is the way to go for neck roast and shanks. Used to grind them, but will never do that again!

Attachments

• 20230221_173038.jpg
    20230221_173038.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back