Caribou Gear Tarp

Wife not into "game" meat

I was wondering about brining, which I do every year with our turkey for Thanksgiving. I thought about doing it for the back straps, but then read the idea about seasoning the day before, which is similar. Brining I'm assuming would just add more moisture, plus the flavor of the salt/sugar or whatever else is in the brine.

I was wondering about brining, which I do every year with our turkey for Thanksgiving. I thought about doing it for the back straps, but then read the idea about seasoning the day before, which is similar. Brining I'm assuming would just add more moisture, plus the flavor of the salt/sugar or whatever else is in the brine.
It helps get rid of any gamey taste to the meat, if any. It’s actually on the FDA website.

The biggest thing I have found is that often it's not actually about the taste. It's the barriers in the mind affecting the perception of taste. Yes, it tastes different than beef because it's a different animal. My wife was the same way for quite a while because growing up, if she had venison, it was prepared poorly and she did not enjoy it. It has taken her a while, but now is ecstatic anytime I bring home an animal because she has changed that perception in her mind and gotten used to the difference in taste.

In terms of preparation, I don't want to entrust a processor with my meat. It's not that there aren't good processor's out there and you may have a really great one, but if I do the processing myself, I can control everything from beginning to end. I take my time with it, make sure it's on ice, clean it thoroughly, trim anything that may give an off taste, and package it appropriately for long-standing in the freezer. By doing this, I have eliminated the majority of factors that contribute to 'gaminess'.

The next piece of advice is to really begin to read and consume info on wild game cooking. Know what parts are best used for what styles of preparation (slow cooking, fast cooking, adding liquid, etc.). This has been a game changer for me. I know longer have dried roasts because I use the correct roasts for slow cooking. My steaks are tender because I use the correct parts for steaks.

I have found certain seasonings play better, but typically if you use a mix of something with vinegar and something sweet, you will end up with a pretty tasty result (think honey mustard). Also, tomatoes are the greatest ingredient to use with venison in my opinion. You can use them in so many ways (canned, paste, sauce, ketchup, bbq sauce, fresh salsa). It has a ton of advantages and. Irarely prepare my venison without some aspect of it having tomatoes.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully over time your wife will see your passion about the quality of meat and food you are preparing and will acclimate to it. It's worked for me and my wife. Hopefully it works for you too. Good luck!

My wife is not a fan of venison but does like elk, bison and moose to the point she rarely orders beef and I don’t think has purchased store beef in several years. This sounds great but can be a little extra annoying at 3 am her pushing me out of bed to go hunting. Sounds great but I like to watch football and eat turkey on thanksgiving.

If anyone has a sure fire method to get my wife to eat fish, I would pay reward.

Stop telling her it’s game meat. My experience with “pessimistic” people concerning game meat is they complain when they know what it’s game meat. They eat it fine when they don’t know.

Go make venison chilli or spaghetti and tell her it’s beef.
I agree 100%.
Some people just convince themselves that they don't like it. My SIL is a prime example. She will only eat antelope but says she doesn't like deer or elk.
We served her some elk backstrap but didn't tell her what it was and she liked it.
As for ground game we prefer pork fat at about a 20- 25% mix otherwise burgers will have a dry crumbly texture that I find unappealing.
We use it for any recipe that would be made with beef.
When I have elk in the freezer we don't buy beef of any kind.

Hank Shaw's cookbooks and website upped my cooking skills big time. If you up your cooking game for venison meals, that might help go the distance to win someone over (put a little extra effort, getting fresh ingredients etc.). https://honest-food.net/

Some super easy recipes that are downright delicious

corned venison (make corned hash or sandwiches)
barbacoa
stroganoff (great w/ backstraps)
picadillo (taco meat)
several great meatball recipes

Hank Shaw's cookbooks and website upped my cooking skills big time. If you up your cooking game for venison meals, that might help go the distance to win someone over (put a little extra effort, getting fresh ingredients etc.). https://honest-food.net/

Some super easy recipes that are downright delicious

corned venison (make corned hash or sandwiches)
barbacoa
stroganoff (great w/ backstraps)
picadillo (taco meat)
several great meatball recipes

Funny, I just realized I had Buck Buck Moose in my amazon wish list. Didn't buy it because I had yet to harvest my own deer. I suppose it needs to be moved to the shopping cart!

Take one those backstraps and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours on a wire rack, no wrapping of any kind. Raw meat on wire rack you want air to get all around the meat. After 24/36 hrs cover it in olive oil ad seasoning, pepper, garlic, onion powder, no salt...whatever flips your switch...Get the grill ripping hot and grill to 120ish...let it rest, slice across grain into medallions, add salt at the table.

So simple and so good it should be illegal.

Funny, I just realized I had Buck Buck Moose in my amazon wish list. Didn't buy it because I had yet to harvest my own deer. I suppose it needs to be moved to the shopping cart!
Get it and have your wife page through it and point out what looks good to her... thats a pretty sure fire way to be starting in the right arena for a winner meal.

Then my other 2 cents. Not everyone likes everything. Some people love olives, some hate them. And people also have their own cultural/psychological aversions to certain foods. So don't get bent out of shape if she doesn't love it. Make some good meals, if she wants to eat them, great. If not, don't worry.

Just tell her it's free range organic meat. No growth hormones no chemical pesticides no herbicides. That should convince her to like it.😉

Many times I think it is more a mental thing than a spouse really not enjoying game.
My wife grew up on Long Island and never met a hunter until we started dating in college. She wouldn't eat any game, not even turkey or pheasant at first. Then she got ok with that, then waterfowl. Venison was the last step. Took 26 years, but now she's upset to find out I won't be able to draw an antelope tag for another year or two.
Aging venison definitely helps, I like to do 4-5 days before processing, as does brining. Maybe cut some venison in with ground beef in tacos, spaghetti, meat loaf, etc?
Good luck, you may be in for a long conversion process, or she may never come around.

My wife won't hardly eat it except for a few different items like smoked shoulder fajitas etc. When we were dating I cooked antelope backstraps and told her it was a beef filet. She ate the whole thing told me how good it was and then on the last bite I told her what it was and she spit it out and started gagging. Its all in her head.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back