Need some game meal ideas

peterk1234

My oldest daughter will be visiting us for Christmas and she asked to sample our various game meats because we had one heck of a season. So I'd like to prepare a little bit of everything.

Need your help on some simple but tasty ideas. Here is what we got this year:

Whitetail
Muley
Antelope
Elk
Bear
Kokanee
Alligator.. yup alligator. My youngest and her husband went on an alligator hunt in Florida two weeks ago!

We have steaks, ground, and sausage. I also have legs cut for osso bucco. Oh, and deer ribs.

Was thinking of making some tiny burgers with some of the ground and making a bunch of dipping sauces and small homemade buns. Cut some meats thin, marinade and grill it on a skewer. I could keep some thinly cut pieces raw and set up the fundoo as well.

Has anyone done a game sampler before?

Sounds like you've got it covered.
When we have company over I like to use some game sausage in stuffing for stuffed mushrooms and marinate some game meat strips of my choosing and do jalapeno poppers with cream cheese, pepper jack, meat and wrapped in bacon, slow and low on the grill or even better on the smoker.

Throw a bit of each in a Dutch oven, add a red squirrel for good measure, voila Montana stew.😉

Sounds like you've got it covered.
When we have company over I like to use some game sausage in stuffing for stuffed mushrooms and marinate some game meat strips of my choosing and do jalapeno poppers with cream cheese, pepper jack, meat and wrapped in bacon, slow and low on the grill or even better on the smoker.
Poppers. Great idea!

Do some meatballs. Could be classic Italian with marinara or could be Japanese teriyaki style or anything in between

Don’t forget some pronghorn or elk tartare

I’ve done a loin sampler with deer, elk and pronghorn. Just pan sear the lions whole and baste with some garlic and thyme brown butter, let rest and then slice and leave on the cutting board to serve. You could put out some slider buns with it with some condiments. I like a mild horseradish Mayo and a pickle chip on a loin slider.

Elk has to be the top of the list. I like ground elk tacos a lot. Theres a lot of things you can do with taco meat too (nachos, enchiladas, etc) - depending on peoples tastes and how you want to eat it.

Okay, so far this what I've got:
Fried gator nuggets;
Jalapeño poppers wrapped in bear, slice thin and hammered/ cubed;
Small meatballs with the ground elk, bear and muley;
Then I'm thinking thinly sliced cuts of whitetail, muley, elk, bear and antelope. Some will be marinaded, skewered and grilled. Others left plain and people can put them into the fondue;
Bunch of sauces;
And of course homemade mini buns. Was thinking a milk bread because of the soft texture.

Super easy recipe with vennison burger. Brown burger and add in minced, onion, garlic, pepper and jalapeno. Use a mini-muffin tin and use pillsbury biscuits. Put half a biscuit in bottom of tin. Stuff with browned meat mixture. Top with shreaded cheese then cover with other half of biscuit. Bake this way until done. Super easy finger food that will disappear.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back