Deer Neck Meat

Big Slick

I decided to slow cook a deer neck roast today. Cast iron Dutch oven on the stove top. Slow cooked with onion, garlic and some garlic infused olive oil (added a cup of water) Shredded the meat and put it back in the Dutch oven with the juice from cooking. Added tomatillo sauce that has onion, jalapeños, hatch green chiles, cumin and coriander. Turn back on low to cook down a bit.

Attachments

• F0D581D8-6E70-48A2-8C26-C63CA357D12D.jpeg
    F0D581D8-6E70-48A2-8C26-C63CA357D12D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
How did you serve it? Good? Changes next time?
I’m cooking it now, so we will serve it with rice , black beans and tortillas. It turned out really good. It may be a little soupy, I put the shredded meat back in the Dutch oven so the meat could soak up the goodness before adding the tomatillo sauce. First time trying this with neck meat. I usually do this with pork or turkey.

Never had a coyote or a magpie complain about my deer neck roast recipe.

Just kidding, I usually grind it as well, might have to give your recipe a shot though I love slow cooked venison in a tortilla or on a sandwich

Sounds great! I like to add beef consume and French onion soup to neck roast in the crock pot and make French dips. Beats the heck out of trying to pick all the sinew out to grind it up.

My plan for mine is to slow cook it and divide it into two portions. One will be for soup and the other will be sandwiches.

Sounds great! I like to add beef consume and French onion soup to neck roast in the crock pot and make French dips. Beats the heck out of trying to pick all the sinew out to grind it up.
Agreed. Trying to get the meat out to grind, or whatever, is a bear. Roasts for me from now on. WAY easier to pick meat out of the junk cooked.

Take a neck roast and look up a recipe for fennel braised pork. Swap out the pork for neck roast and put in slow cooker. My favorite way plus it’s pretty fancy when you pair with some rissoto and a simple romolade of garlic, lemon zest, parsley and Parmesan. You can also after shredding the meat throw on a sheet pan and slightly brown under broiler. Then spoon some of the juice from cooker on top when serve.

I brown a section of neck in the Insta-pot with a little olive oil, add enough water to cover it well in addition to some onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and a sage leaf or ground, s&p then cook enough to be falling off the bone, throw in a cup of rice and that finishes it off.

Last edited:
Neck roasts and shanks are excellent when used with slow cooked recipes. I like to make a big batch of taco meat from shanks and use the leftovers for enchiladas.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back