R.I.P Poz

I just heard him on one of your early podcasts, Monday I think. I then ordered one of his books. A very inspiring man. My condolences.

Jim was indeed a giant upon whose shoulders we all stood. His work at FWP as well as his advocacy after his storied career are the stuff of legends. I will miss my friend. Anytime you needed a boost to keep going in this fight, you just had to talk to Pos and you were filled again with the drive to make the world a better place. We will grieve, but Pos wouldnt want us to stop the work.

If you want to honor his legacy, get involved & make a difference.

I first got this from Poz back in the early 1990s. 25 years later, this is still a good compass for folks who want to make a difference for conservation. If you want to honor Poz's memory, lend a hand for conserving this wondeful, wild world.

Poz’s Rules on Leadership*​

• If you think you want to be a leader and you’re not at the head of the parade, don’t worry. You can lead from anywhere within an organization. All you have to do is know where you are going and never take your eye off the goal. Choose your goal well and the parade will follow.
  • Never let your critics take your time or energy. Learn from criticism, but don’t let it distract you from your goal. You are never going to please any adversary or all your friends.
  • Never, never, never stray from your grassroots constituents. Be one with them and among them and they will never fail you. I have met with a handful of conservationists at Trixi’s Saloon in Ovando and testified before committees of Congress. The former is clearly more important. Martin Luther King and Lech Walensa never left the streets.
  • Never let your opponent’s appraisal of your chances influence you. If they say you can’t win or they will kick your butt, show up anyhow. Surrender nothing; make your opponent take it from you. Just standing there makes a big difference.
  • When you talk to your people, preach hope and possibility. Eric Hoffer said revolution is built not on hope, not despair. The conservation community is terrible for wailing on the peril of things – that inspires no one.
  • Make everything work for you, the good and bad. The best example is how the conservation movement used James Watt to rebuild their movement.
  • Don’t let fear hold you back. This is especially applicable to bureaucrats who too often conclude for themselves what they can and cannot get aw ay with. As Churchill said: Play for more than you can afford to lose and you’ll learn to play the game.
  • Trust your intuition and don’t take yourselves too seriously. Cling to your sense of humor. Learn to laugh at troubles and you’ll never run out of things to laugh at. Humor allows you to bite the forbidden truth. Besides, it will drive your enemies nuts.

Good stuff, Ben. Reading that reminds me why some called him "The Happy Warrior."

I first got this from Poz back in the early 1990s. 25 years later, this is still a good compass for folks who want to make a difference for conservation. If you want to honor Poz's memory, lend a hand for conserving this wondeful, wild world.

Poz’s Rules on Leadership*​

• If you think you want to be a leader and you’re not at the head of the parade, don’t worry. You can lead from anywhere within an organization. All you have to do is know where you are going and never take your eye off the goal. Choose your goal well and the parade will follow.
  • Never let your critics take your time or energy. Learn from criticism, but don’t let it distract you from your goal. You are never going to please any adversary or all your friends.
  • Never, never, never stray from your grassroots constituents. Be one with them and among them and they will never fail you. I have met with a handful of conservationists at Trixi’s Saloon in Ovando and testified before committees of Congress. The former is clearly more important. Martin Luther King and Lech Walensa never left the streets.
  • Never let your opponent’s appraisal of your chances influence you. If they say you can’t win or they will kick your butt, show up anyhow. Surrender nothing; make your opponent take it from you. Just standing there makes a big difference.
  • When you talk to your people, preach hope and possibility. Eric Hoffer said revolution is built not on hope, not despair. The conservation community is terrible for wailing on the peril of things – that inspires no one.
  • Make everything work for you, the good and bad. The best example is how the conservation movement used James Watt to rebuild their movement.
  • Don’t let fear hold you back. This is especially applicable to bureaucrats who too often conclude for themselves what they can and cannot get aw ay with. As Churchill said: Play for more than you can afford to lose and you’ll learn to play the game.
  • Trust your intuition and don’t take yourselves too seriously. Cling to your sense of humor. Learn to laugh at troubles and you’ll never run out of things to laugh at. Humor allows you to bite the forbidden truth. Besides, it will drive your enemies nuts.
Pretty good stuff. Making a difference from Trixi's. An awesome man. mtmuley

The day I got to spend with him on the Yellowstone will certainly go down as one of the most enjoyable and influential floats I’ll ever have. His enthusiasm for the resource and life in general was infectious.

He didn’t know it, but he played a large part in putting me in the right mindset to land my current job. I’ll forever be grateful for the insight he provided that day and all his work to protect the resources my family and I enjoy.

Thanks for sharing that list, Ben. Lots of good stuff theres.

I don't recall when I met Poz. Our paths crossed many times and I counted him a friend. He was proud of his work and always hoped to do more. The debt Montana, hunters, and anglers owe him will be repaid as other see and are inspired by his own life. I tried to have a final beer with him, but was a few days late. I'll choose to remember him that way, on the deck, with one in his hand.

Of all the folks I have met in the hunting community Jim had a most profound impact on my life and how I view ethics, hunting, and politics in general.

I feel fortunate to have spent many hours with him soaking up as much knowledge as well as a few beers at places like Trixi’s and Big Dorothy’s.

Undoubtably the world is a much better place due to him.

I have one Poz story so I hope you don't mind if I share it.

In the conservation space it seems like the people that I first looked up too, looked up to Jim first. I got a chance to meet him just once. I ordered his classic book "Beyond Fair Chase", and the universe aligned in the way it so often does; the used copy that was delivered to me had actually been signed by Jim to a Canadian conservationist back in 1995, who had passed away some years later. Somehow it ended up in my hands. I read the book on my way out to Missoula for the 2017 Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Rendezvous, my first. And it just so happened Jim was there. I spoke with Jim for about 15 minutes, about the conservation movements roots in Theodore Roosevelt's Buffalo hunt and my Master's work on Great Plains bison kill sites, a topic he seemed to be extremely knowledgeable in, and whose face lit up in discussing. At the end of our chat he took the very book he had signed 20 years earlier to another Hunter and signed it again for me, writing:

"Hunt with a free spirit and a good heart."

I will Jim. I will.

Screenshot_20200703-204820.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back