R.I.P Poz

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
It is with heavy heart that I learned this afternoon my mentor in conservation passed on. Jim Posewitz, Poz as we called him, was a legend in the Northern Rockies.

I don't have enough words or keystrokes to write how many conservation battles he led. Nor enough to explain how many ways he influenced my view of the natural world and the role I could play in that by merely showing up. At the ripe age of 30 Poz invited me to sit on his Board of Directors, which I did for the next 14 years. Even after those days he always had time for some insight, inspiration, and laughter.

Many here knew him and stood beside him as he fought the good fights. Never at a loss for spirited advice and always shouldering more than his share, he was an example to all.

Knowing his days were short, a memory page was established for him. So many voiced similar comments to mine.

Jim, Your decades of mentorship has spared me the false comforts of ignorance and inaction. For that, these words of gratitude seem but a small payment toward a huge debt. Hopefully the rest of that debt can be repaid by acting on the spirit and fight you've instilled in so many with your leadership and example of the strenuous life well lived. My kindest thoughts for you, Gayle, and your family.

I think I'll go for an evening hike in the Gallatin Range in his honor. I know he would not want any sorry faces. Thanks for so much.

paradise-float-DaleEvans-26.jpg

Last edited:
We did this film with Poz over the last couple years. It highlights just one of the many remarkable things he led the fight on - keeping the Yellowstone River a wild river, free of dams.

Knowing he was failing, we released it this winter so he could share in the accolades he deserved. We have scripted other stories he has told me and battles he fought. Just need to find the time and resources to bring them to the audience.

An inspiration to many in how to live an outdoorsman's life. Condolences to his family for their loss.

Condolences to his family and those that new him. We are fortunate to have men like him that fought those fights to give us what we have now.

Montana in particular is so indebted to this great man. I got to meet him once, he made you feel like a good friend immediately.

He will be missed. He left a mark, what a legacy. RIP.

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for passing the news along, Randy.

Really hate to see men who contributed as much to conservation as this man. Thoughts and prayers will be with his family and him.

Sorry for your loss, Randy. He accomplished important work in his time. Carry his torch and never let it be extinguished.

So sorry Randy. That has to be tough. I've been blessed with a few conservation mentors, and they have meant the world to me.

You are carrying on his legacy in a fine way, and I am sure he is very proud of you.

Rest in Peace! Randy, thanks for stepping up and highlighting Jim's conservation efforts. We all reap the benefit. Some will be inspired to step up and say, "I can make a difference."

A true loss for the conversation of wild places. Thank you Randy for doing the documentary and telling the story of the Yellowstone River. His legacy will last forever. Condolences to his family and close friends.

Sad news, and a huge loss for conservation. I keep a couple of his books in my hunting camp. The Dam That Never Was is a great film, and I look forward to seeing what your team produces with the other footage you have.

We did this film with Poz over the last couple years. It highlights just one of the many remarkable things he led the fight on - keeping the Yellowstone River a wild river, free of dams.

Knowing he was failing, we released it this winter so he could share in the accolades he deserved. We have scripted other stories he has told me and battles he fought. Just need to find the time and resources to bring them to the audience.

Randy, there might be a thread on this already, as I’m fairly new with the forum, but if there’s not, would there be a way to start a thread dedicated to conservation efforts and specifically how individuals can do their part to become more involved? Even if a majority of it is marginally helping, whether donating or volunteering, it creates an impact for ourselves and those around us, and opens up a platform to share our love and commitment for our lands and water. I know there are many many people out there that are passionate about conservation, but I also believe a lot of these people aren’t sure on where to even begin on contributing or getting their voices heard. If a thread like this exists, someone please let me know! Thanks!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back