Pros and Cons of Diesels (F250 Superduty)

JLG

I am about this close, to buying a Ford F250 Crewcab Diesel. I can't justify a brand new one, but I can a 2002. I have heard the new ones with 6.0's are having teething problems so I am more inclined to go with a 7.3 Powerstroke. I would like to hear some opinions on Diesels as a whole and the F250, if any of you have one, good or bad. Thank you and Good Luck, JLG.

Would you rather be Strok'n or Cummin? That is the question.

You can justify a 2002 for almost new price, but you can't justify new.

I highly encourage you to take a look at the Dodge, if at the very least purchase it for the Cummins.

I purchased a brand new (02), fully loaded (minus leather), 4x4, extended cab, with $2K worth of accessories for $27K from Dave Smith Motors in Idaho. Then I shipped it up to Alaska for $1200 (at the time I lived there). So for a little over $28K, I purchased the same rig they wanted in Fairbanks for $42K
eek.gif

Dave Smith Motors is the largest Dodge dealer in the world. They are what you call a fleet dealer, and they sell their rigs for less than $200 over dealer cost and then give you all the rebates and discounts off the top. I guarantee you, you can purchase a brand-new Cummins for less than you will find a used 02 Ford.

Not gonna poke fun at the Power-choke because personally, I have never owned one, but I wanted to at least give you another avenue to think about.

I love my Cummins and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Dave Smith's # is 1-800-635-800.
Call them and get a quote.

http://www.usautosales.com/

My son had a powerstroke, couldn't keep an automatic transmission in it. Every 6-8 months he had to have it rebuilt. All the ambulances, wreckers, and commercial vehicles with the powerstroke had the same problem. Too much torque for the trannie. Ford did the first couple then told him the warranties was over. He would have to start paying for the repairs. He sold it and went to a Dodge. Maybe they have the kinks worked out.

Whiskers

It is still highly recommended you go with the 6 speed manual as opposed to the auto tranny on the Cummins. Them auto's just get eaten alive.

I strongly sugges that you check out all of the diesel sites before you make your decision. Ford wasn't the only maker that had problems with the auto tranny. All of them did!
eek.gif

I own a 2003 F-350 PSD and love it! Yes, I have had a few of the 6.0 bugs, but the motor is awesome! The "Torqueshift" tranny kicks ass and is also new! I don't know of all the other brand sites off of the top of my head, but I did check them all out before buying Ford and believe it or not, they are having problems too!. It all depends on what you are after. To me the Ideal truck would be the Ford SuperCrew body/chassis with the Cummins diesel and the Chevy front end! Unfortunately Dodge doesn't really have a 4 dr compared to the Ford room wise and the Chevy doesn't have the the split bench seat that I was looking for at the time(this may have changed since I haven't looked at the 04's). Also if you want a 1 ton, you have to get a dually on both brands except for Ford.

Yes, the new 6.0 has had it's problems and I'm not denying that, but mine has been great and the power is awesome!

Let us know which way you go!

John

Have a 2000 Dodge Deisel. Another Dave Smith deal. saved me $8000 over buying it here or any other place we looked. Great power and good mileage. On a trip I got 23 mpg doing 70-75. Another trip doing 80-85 got me 21 mpg. Having my camper on it and pulling the horses, total load = about 7000 lbs and still get 16 mpg.

Guys, thanks so far keep the information coming, Good Luck, JLG.

Yeppers.... I can tell you that Ovis has a helluva a nice Dodge rig. It sure looked nice as we left it at the truck stop parking lot and drove up hunting for the day in the F250 Super Duty....
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I have the 99 Super Duty, and to throw you a curve, I have the V-10, and I love it. Wouldn't have the diesels.

First off, the body/running gear/accessories have all been great, and considering the 99 was the first year of the new version, that is a great testimony. The current years would be even better.

Secondly, the whole Auto with Diesel sure seems like an odd combination. If you want the Diesel for pulling, why not get the 6 speed for pulling, also?
confused.gif

Last week up Elk Hunting, we had 2 Diesels and my Gas rig, and both of the diesels had problems starting. (One was Chev, one was 01 Ford). Another 99 Ford (Diesel with Auto) was not up there, but it had recently had $3500 in transmission work done at 90k miles.

My gas rig has 70k miles, gets 15 mpg, can pull any load up hills, and my fuel costs less. Additionally, I did not have to pay the extra for the Diesel.

Just a bit different perspective.
smile.gif

I'd have to say go for the Dodge also. I drive a gas rig but my next one will be a Cummins, hands down. My best friends dad has a Cummins with 190k miles and hasn't had anything major go wrong with it yet. That has to tell ya something!!

I currently have a 95 powerstroke,I have 120,000 miles on it and its been a good truck.
It a f350 crewcab, 5 speed.
Gets 16 mpg , 14 with my camper on it.
My Father , pulls an airstream all over the country and has run both ford and dodge.
He currently is running a superduty crew cab with the powerstroke and auto 2 wheel drive dually.
Are you looking at a 4 wheel drive?
Make sure you get a straight front axle, some 250"s come with the straight, the twin front after alot of miles starts squatting like a volkswagon, hold out for the straight.
He liked the Dodge, pulled the trailer just fine, milage was a little better, but just did'nt like the quad cab, so he went with the superduty.
Should note that his airstream is there home, and if you ever saw Lucille Ball and Desi in the long long trailer his wife is about the same as collecting things over the years has made that trailer scary heavy.
I rode in that superduty and wow its got major power.
So if you go by his long distance testing it all comes down to ...which truck fits you better.....good luck

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-08-2003 06:11: Message edited by: quail hunter ]</font>

My work truck is a 91 Dodge with the Cummins. It has 155k miles on it. I plow snow all winter and haul lawn mowers and trailers with it all summer. Average mph is 15, all stop and go driving. Trailer when loaded is up to 13000 pounds. I think the Dodge or the FORD either one, will do you just fine. It is a matter of personal preference. Like quail hunter said, it's which truck fits you better

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yeppers.... I can tell you that Ovis has a helluva a nice Dodge rig. It sure looked nice as we left it at the truck stop parking lot and drove up hunting for the day in the F250 Super Duty....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're a ass EG
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
JLG, just ask EG what he does with all that extra room of the crew cab. EG should have plates with "File 13" printed on them
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Last week up Elk Hunting, we had 2 Diesels and my Gas rig, and both of the diesels had problems starting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought where you hunted it wasn't a problem to plug those block heaters in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My gas rig has 70k miles, gets 15 mpg, can pull any load up hills, and my fuel costs less. Additionally, I did not have to pay the extra for the Diesel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JLG, don't let EG fool you. We live in a state overrun with taxes. This is the only state I have ever lived or been to that diesel cost more than gas...bunch of commie bass-turds here.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-08-2003 08:28: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

I,ve owned three powerstrokes, all bought new, all F350 crew cabs all auto's.
96 centurian dually 60,000 miles, no problems wanted 4 wheel drive, owned 4 yrs, sold
97 4wheel drive single rear wheel 20,000 miles, owned 1 year, sold no power
99 4wheel drive dually 176,000 miles-still have

I'ved had 2 injectors go bad in the last 14 months at about $500.00 a pop
frown.gif
No tranny problems on any of them. Always had big block gas turcks before, mostly chevy and ford. don

I own a 01 F-350 four wheel drive diesel put 13,000 miles going to Alaska and Yellowknife I averaged 14 mile to the gallion pulling a 10,000 lb 5th wheel. This same truck dosen't know what blacktop is during a work day. I have had Chev's Internationals and Fords. Probably Internationals were the best off road truck ever made. Since, Ford is my choise for a working truck. My wife has a 96 Explorer it still has the orignal battery and tires were put on it at 96,000 miles it now has 149,000 like they say Ford Tough !

I'll add my two cents
rolleyes.gif
....had a 1983 Ford diesel- sold it with 170,000 miles and no problems (when it would no longer hold enough kids)...bought a 1993 F350 diesel crew cab 4x4 and it now has 120,000 miles again with just gen. maintenance.
17mpg with a one-ton crew cab four wheeler isn't a bad thing!

Pops was a logger and all we've owned is Ford diesels for 20+ years with nary a problem....not saying a thing wrong about the Dodges or (post 350) Chevy's just have never owned any
confused.gif

I got another question? Do you guys try to make your Diesels last, by having everyday drivers, for work, school, the wife. We seem to rack up the miles. My truck will be my wife's truck until I can get her into something else for running around town. Her job is 42 miles round trip a day. I'd like to hear if you guys do this and if you do what are they, Thanks and Good Luck, JLG.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-11-2003 14:44: Message edited by: JLG ]</font>

JLG- my rig gets more miles on it on the weekends from Sep-Dec (hunting season)than its does the entrie rest of the year...that being said, my trips back and forth to work each day (11 miles each way) are probably a hell of a lot harder on it than the long distance yaunts!

Mine is a 2000, got it in February of 2000. It has 38,000 on it. It sits in the drive all week and use it on weekends. During the summer it gets used for camping and sits at the camp ground all weekend. In the winter it gets used to go out and feed the horse some grain, unless LB drives me out there in her Jeep.
biggrin.gif
Use it to make trips to see our daughter. During hunting season it sits in camp.

My personal truck is 3/4T 89 dodge with the banks cummins, auto, 4x4, 420K + miles now. no problems except it tends to eat those u-joints in the steering shaft. 20+/- mpg and pulls trailers like a dream. It does have way too torque if you're not careful, it would twist out axels, trans, etc.
Work trucks are '02 dodge tonner duellies with the autos, both super nice and pull monster loads every day with no trouble at all. we'll see how they are when they get up over 400k miles.
Dodges have always sort of tough riding, Fords always been smoother. Next truck will be a quad cab shortbox with a cummins. Tough to beat the cummins, esc. with the banks power package.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back