Pros and Cons of Diesels (F250 Superduty)

Many of my friends have Ford diesels and they love them none have had any trouble. I'm a Ford man my truck is a 1990 with Gas motor 460 ci has 270,000 miles have put in one tranny thats all for major repair motor has never been touched it will still out pull any Chevy If its not a ford then its not worth having

Chevy and GMCs are nice unless you want to pull something.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We had a 97 4x4 powerstroke diesel with the automatic transmission--------
We really liked the truck but starting having problems with the transmission before it was 1 year old.It never did shift right.
That was the only problem we had.

After number tranny #4 we decided it was time to move on.

We looked at other truck's but went back to the ford.

We bought a new 2003 F250 long bed extended cab 4x4 powerstroke diesel with that new 6.0 motor.

We haul a 27 ft. camp trailer ,with two ATV's on a custom made rack over the bed then all our camping gear under the rack.
It hauls everything with no problem.

I got a '01 powerstroke, 36700 miles on it as of today, just got it back from puting a new starter on it, $332 - 700miles past warranty!!! If old man ford were alive today, I would kick him in the sack. Other than that, I love my truck, but I wouldn't buy it again - not making any sense huh?
smile.gif
My old man has a '01 cummins, consistantly beats me by about 5 MPG, I'm auto and his standard, but it's not merely that. I think mine is a lot more comfortable to ride in, roomier, quieter, definatly better on the bump roads with the auto. We have pulled the same rigs with these two trucks, IMO performance is a wash. I would still opt for the extra MPG though, damn things are expen$ive to drive - I can't imagine what it would cost if I'd have got the v10. If you go ford, don't go with the 7.3, get the 6.0 - from what I have seen, they start better in the cold, more power, better mileage, a whole bunch quieter.

I just saw Ovis' "File 13" comment....
tongue.gif
Not sure how I missed that one....

My next rig will be a Double Cab, then I could go for "File 26", and never have to clean the thing out...

My take is that ALL the new rigs (Ford, Dodge, and the BowTies) are all damn good, and damn nice. You can't go too wrong with any of them...
smile.gif

Good luck, and don't check the newspaper ads after you sign the deal...
mad.gif

I have an 02 F-350 Crewcab 4x4, but with the V-10. I get 14 mpg with a camper on it at 75 mph. It has the tow package, so if I slow down a bit I get much better mileage. My owner's manual shows the V-10 and the diesel as having the same towing capacity. I don't even feel most trailers behind me, although the ride does get better.

The Dodge 4-door is just an extended cab with a shorter front door to accomodate a back door. It does not have anywhere near the room of the Ford Super Duties. At least the Dodge 1500 doesn't - but aren't the 2500 and 3500 the same? I sat in the back of a new Dodge 4-door and it was cramped. My Ford is a lot more spacious.

I got the gas engine because of previous tranny problems with diesel trucks, both Ford and Chevy and having heard of Dodges with the same issue. Plus, my wife drives it most of the time around town, and I didn't want her trying to find a station with diesel fuel - not that many around town.

Pulling the trigger tomorrow on a still on the train coming to Phx. F250 SD 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat PSD. It is a red I can't spell or pronounce and tan two-tone. Got everything. I think I am going to taking Orvis' advice and get "File 13" plates for my truck. I haven't been this excited about something in a long time. Can you say "Roadtrip" Good Luck to all, JLG.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back