Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Proof of sex

gwhunter

So the talk about the guy getting his elk revoked after not tagging it immediately had some additional conversation that I thought warranted a new thread.

While I know the rules are different from state to state I had a question about interpreting Wyoming's proof of sex rules. In the regs it says: "In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the animal as a whole, or edible portion thereof."

So my question is this: Do you have to keep the genitals attached if it says you can just keep the antlers?
either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers
If I shoot an antelope, do the gutless method and only bring the meat and head back to the truck is that legit?

Is the genitals attached only a Montana thing?

So the talk about the guy getting his elk revoked after not tagging it immediately had some additional conversation that I thought warranted a new thread.

While I know the rules are different from state to state I had a question about interpreting Wyoming's proof of sex rules. In the regs it says: "In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the animal as a whole, or edible portion thereof."

So my question is this: Do you have to keep the genitals attached if it says you can just keep the antlers? If I shoot an antelope, do the gutless method and only bring the meat and head back to the truck is that legit?

Is the genitals attached only a Montana thing?

The way I've interpreted that is the heads ok if it's attached to the carcass it's alright, but if you're boning/quartering you'd need genitals attached.

This is the same way I go about it in MT. If I just gut the animal and get it out whole I figure the heads good enough, although I've hunted with others that leave genitals on either way.

I will say I think it's awesome in WY that you don't need proof of sex with an either sex tag.

Last edited:
Now I may be getting technical and misinterpreting things but what are your thoughts about the wording:
either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the animal as a whole, or edible portion thereof

It doesn't say attached, just "accompany". Does this mean I just have to keep em with me in a ziploc as opposed to attached? This would alleviate SRA's comment on the other thread about "rut tasting meat".

It can get sticky trying to interpret so I just leave genitals attached to a quarter or haul the whole animal out with genitals attached to be safe.

Is that difficult to do? I mean, how easy is it to slip and cut off something you didn't intend to ala Bobbitt style? I've never had to do it since I've only hunted whitetails in the midwest within dragging distance of a truck. This whole idea of leaving something attached is new to me.

The Wyoming regulation has a lot of interpretation to it that isn't in most states regulations.

The big "shall accompany" gives you a lot of leeway in my opinion. I have done the old "bag it and tie it" for my Wyoming animals in the past and just thrown the bag in the cooler with the meat even though I also had the head and antlers accompanying it as well.

either the visible external sex organs

So the way that's worded I would interpret that to mean skinning the testicles out might not be acceptable? Unfortunately it seems to me it all depends on how the individual Game Warden wants to interpret that! I have never hunted in Wyoming before but I think I would ask for clarification before I went. I have never had a game violation in my life, but more and more I see the possibility of inadvertently crossing a line that I didn't even know existed, especially as much as things change from year to year now.

As with any FWP regs there is a lot of (grey area) and there written to be only interpreted or enforced the way a warden sees the situation.

This really helps to show how important it is to make sure you are following the regulations for the state you are hunting in. Like the fact that you have to take the rib meat in Arizona. In New Mexico I think you have to take 90% of the neck meat. In Texas you can't bone out a quarter of a game animal in the field.

Lot's of little variations for each state.

Would be nice if someone would summarize them, maybe make a post and have different people who live in each state confirm if that was correct or not.

From the local game warden a couple of years ago on my doe/fawn only antelope hunt, I performed the gutless method of taking the meat with him standing in attendance, when I asked if my interpretation of the regulations was correct, in that I only had to have the proof of sex with me, and not physically attached to the quarter, he said I was in fact correct. I'm not positive, but I believe this law changed about 5 years ago, before that, the proof of sex had to actually be attached to the meat.

Several years ago, I was hunting antelope in Wyoming with a friend. A biologist was in the field and walked a mile from the road to where we were butchering four antelope does that we had just shot. I had already quartered one and had left the proof of sex attached. He said that it had to be attached to at least a fist-sized piece of meat.

It is so easy to leave it attached, that there is no reason not to. On a cow elk, it only takes a couple of teats to make it legit. Just do it and forget about it.

Years ago, I shot a smallish bull in a fairly tough spot to get him out. He had to be diced up a little. In my haste I did not leave a nut sack attacked to the bull. The horns were removed from the skull.

Late at night tired, wet, and sore, we made it to the check station. The new bio of the time decided he was going to introduce himself by giving me the third degree. As many of you know the pelvic will tell you if the animal is female or male. After threats of carcass confiscation, and attempted intimidation, I asked if he knew the difference. He proceeded to pull his knife to inspect the pelvic when my hunting partner said for me to pull out my cow tag and mark it as a cow. That's what they did.

As a side note, the bull had been captured as a spike and had a ear tag, which would have confirmed it was a bull. Wonder if that would have been enough "Evidence of sex" for a judge?

I make sure at least one half of the nut sack is attached ever sense that time.

Always wanted to put a condom in the pelvic of the animal when they asked if there was "Evidence of sex":D

I just leave the junk/boobies/volvo attached to a piece of meat and or quarter when in WY. I've been checked a couple of times and every warden has approved of what I've done.

GW- It's not really that hard to do in practice. You don't have to take much hide and the piece of meat doesn't have to be big. One thing to watch if you shoot a doe/cow and are gutting it, don't slit 'em right down the middle like we are used to here. Go off to the side as you near the rear end. Sounds like a good excuse to shoot a doe in our late season and get some practice in... ;)

I'm heading out with the smokepole in the morning. The midwest whitetails have been pretty elusive this year.

I hear ya! I've yet to see antlers. Good luck! Tomorrows a beer drinking, meat cutting/wrapping party at my house. Your welcome to come over. I'll have the beer, you bring your knives! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back