Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Progressive Lenses

Brian in Montana

I've never had bifocals of any sort, but I got tired of having to take off my glasses to read things or see something up close. So the last time I went to the eye doc, we discussed it and I went with a new pair of progressives. They came in yesterday.

So everyone says they take some getting used to. I wore them most of the day yesterday and I think they're going to drive me crazy. They certainly do what they're supposed to do, but every time I move my head my eyes have to refocus. I know... old guy stuff. Any of you guys have to deal with getting accustomed to progressive lenses? How long did it take?

I have them and didn’t have any problem getting used to them. I did get one pair where they screwed up the pupil distance, and that was super annoying. Fit and alignment is really important with progressives, so you may want to get that rechecked if you’re having problems. Had my first pair been the ones where the pupil distance was off, I would have described it similar to you.

When they say you have to get used to them what they mean is you have to get used to having poor vision anywhere except straight ahead. Once you get used to poor vision you will be used to progressive lenses. I have had them for years and they suck.

For shooting I think progressives are a mistake, especially in the itty-bitty frames that are now fashionable for men (always makes me chuckle to see the gals fashion going to Vietnam era Army issue style frames we called "birth control glasses"). Narrow frames make it harder to keep the bifocal out of the way when getting on a gun. I have slightly larger frames with lined bifocal for everyday use plus a pair of old aviator frames with lined bifocals for sunglasses. On advice from another outdoors forum I ordered my aviator amber lens shooting glasses without bifocal. Very dumb! Nearly impossible to keep score when it's my turn at the club or work on my gun if it suddenly needs it. For playing the piano or working on computer I formerly had a separate pair of glasses with prescription set for 24". Those were great. No head tilting. But I haven't played the piano in years and smart phone has all but replaced desktop computer. No problem using the phone with lined bifocal. If I was still working and doing a lot of computer research and writing, I would have progressive lenses.2019-08-26 buffalo posed(2).JPGIMG_4106.jpg

Last edited:
I have worn progressive for several years now. I didn't have any issues with them and still don't. Fit it a big deal and fitting errors cause a lot of problems with progressives.
This right here. If them glasses arent where your going to be wearing them on your face then they will not optimal. Also my first pair didnt focus that well on the peripherals so I had to move my head from side to side after spending 40 years training myself not to move my head while sitting on a hunt. My current pair is better.

I've never had bifocals of any sort, but I got tired of having to take off my glasses to read things or see something up close. So the last time I went to the eye doc, we discussed it and I went with a new pair of progressives. They came in yesterday.

So everyone says they take some getting used to. I wore them most of the day yesterday and I think they're going to drive me crazy. They certainly do what they're supposed to do, but every time I move my head my eyes have to refocus. I know... old guy stuff. Any of you guys have to deal with getting accustomed to progressive lenses? How long did it take?

Tried them about two years ago... doc said give it 90 days. I was back at his door on day 91 to give them back. He said that I had a tendencies to be a little ADD (imagine that) the way I moved my head so much back and forth between the computers, paperwork on my desk, and the countless parade of employeees I had in my office. Basically my eyes had a hard time (through the progressives) keeping up with the rest of me. I might try them again now recently retired but I felt like I was on a listing ship at sea for those 3 months!
Good luck to you!!

Someone should start a thread on photogrey lenses. Ugh! Haven't had a pair of those damn things for going on forty years. Very bad news when driving at night or hunting in variable light (e.g. snow on the ground and stalking in and out of timber). Many years ago I had a pair of glasses with "soft pink" tint for offices with harsh fluorescent lighting. Those were the bees knees for hunting in snowy conditions. Minimum colour distortion but enough tint to knock down the glare. I looked like a pothead but who cares. They worked. Haven't been able to find that tint for years.

Edit: These were soft pink tint lenses. 1980.1980 bull.JPG

Last edited:
I had a pair of shooting glasses that the Dr. talked me into progressives. Well they are bigger than your normal everyday wear type. They were only useable if your looking out the center of the lenses. Each side would distort the image. Next pair went with the regular lenses and lined bifocal. These work just fine.
For shooting the progressives are not the best option. At least for me that is.

Took me second set before I could wear them. They put me in front of a Machine and flashes lights at all angles and told me to look at each light.

It measured how I look at things between eye movement and head movement and the Machine spit out how to position the progressives

Made a huge difference

I have little problem with progressives, but never, ever for shooting rifles.

One thing that I have found with glasses, bifocal or progressive is that I have to look down a lot more carefully when walking in rough country. Bifocals really mess with my footing somehow.

Another glasses gimmick that doesn't work for hunting is the "nonglare" coating. Once was enough for me. Damn lenses always seemed "dirty" ... even after cleaning.

Luckily at this time in my life, I really just need glasses for close up work. I use 1.5 full lens safety glasses at work, and carry a pair in my hunting pack. Works great for field processing animals and keeps the bone chips out of my eyes when quartering with a hatchet. Also allows me to see the errant hair when processing for the freezer.

Progressives? Never Again! It always looked like the ground was rushing up on me, instead of a brisk break between focus. Kept me kind'a quezzy and off balance. No tri-focals either. I'm still good with anything more than 15' ft away, but need readers, so I just use my glasses for up close and personal...

Someone should start a thread on photogrey lenses. Ugh! Haven't had a pair of those damn things for going on forty years. Very bad news when driving at night or hunting in variable light (e.g. snow on the ground and stalking in and out of timber). Many years ago I had a pair of glasses with "soft pink" tint for offices with harsh fluorescent lighting. Those were the bees knees for hunting in snowy conditions. Minimum colour distortion but enough tint to knock down the glare. I looked like a pothead but who cares. They worked. Haven't been able to find that tint for years.

Edit: These were soft pink tint lenses. 1980.
LOL, I thought photo-gray would be cool until I tried working on a car "under the hood" on a sunny day. It' was impossible to see into dark places.

I'm used to my progressives, but they drove me batty at first. I wonder how well bifocals work for use at different distances, for example reading a book compared to reading a computer screen.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back