Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Progressive Lenses

I've never had bifocals of any sort, but I got tired of having to take off my glasses to read things or see something up close. So the last time I went to the eye doc, we discussed it and I went with a new pair of progressives. They came in yesterday.

So everyone says they take some getting used to. I wore them most of the day yesterday and I think they're going to drive me crazy. They certainly do what they're supposed to do, but every time I move my head my eyes have to refocus. I know... old guy stuff. Any of you guys have to deal with getting accustomed to progressive lenses? How long did it take?
I had the same discussion with my eye doc though she suggested I try a thinner version of regular glasses. Now when I need to read, I'm able to view under the low rim of my glasses w/o removing the glasses and still manage my distance without adjustments etc...

glasses.jpg

Well... I couldn't do it. I wore them for about 2 and a half weeks, felt a little dizzy and discombobulated every time I got up and walked somewhere, got a headache every afternoon at about 2:00. Decided I'd had enough. I got some regular specs and I'm a happy guy again. I have to take them off to read, but I'd do just do that. I might try straight bifocals sometime, but I'm going to have to say no thanks on the progressives.

🤓

I have progressive for several years and recently did switch to a bit bigger lens/frame and have had no issues. It takes a few weeks to train your brain to get used to moving your nose to the center of what you look at. Good luck.

Well... I couldn't do it. I wore them for about 2 and a half weeks, felt a little dizzy and discombobulated every time I got up and walked somewhere, got a headache every afternoon at about 2:00. Decided I'd had enough. I got some regular specs and I'm a happy guy again. I have to take them off to read, but I'd do just do that. I might try straight bifocals sometime, but I'm going to have to say no thanks on the progressives.

🤓
You are not alone with this issue. My experience has been very similar to yours. I could not get used to the progressives and I went back to generic reading glasses that get me through the day.

I’m 50 and I’ve needed bifocals or progressives for about 8 years but I kept putting it off. I picked up my first pair of progressives last week. I sit at a desk most days and so far they are good for computer work and close up writing or reading, but they suck for everything else. I haven’t had them long but I don’t think this is going to work. I’m willing to try them for a while but I think it might end up where I only use them when working at a desk or computer. I’ll give an update in a couple months.

🤓

I couldn't wear them either. The best way to describe it to my eye doctor was I was experiencing symptoms of motion sickness. Dizzy and almost to the point of nausea. I ditched them and went back to bifocals. That was in 2015, still using bifocals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back