Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Productive Weekend

TBinKodiak

I had one of the trees in my yard cut down on Thursday and topped another one. Cut them up Thursday night, Friday night and all day Saturday. After Saturday I had a little cleaning up to do, but a bunch of wood for the winter.
I decided to take Sunday off from cleaning up and went deer hunting. It started out kind of exciting with a steaming pile of bear shit and a 8+" front pad mark on the trail. Made it through that area and headed up the mt with no other incidents. I usually hike in about a mile and a half then head up the mt to about 1800 feet. I spotted a couple does and then spotted a small 3x3, but he looked like the one that a bigger buck hangs out with. I sidehilled back to another area I glass from and immediatly found the other buck a ravine over. I figured I better get after him before he bedded for the day. I tried a sneak on him by staying in the alders on my way down my side of the valley, that's always fun. He got nervous at about 400 yards and I almost took the shot, but then he came down the mt into a patch of alders. I thought maybe he'd come out so I waited awhile. Nothing, so I decided maybe he'd snuck out while I was moving in closer. I decided to go beat the brush. Long story short I walked past him at about 30 feet on the way in then made it to the top of the patch and jumped a doe. Decided I'd eat lunch and give the feet a rest. Well on my way back down through the alders I took a little different route. I busted the buck at 15 yards, but he was over the edge before I could get the gun up. I didn't see him again until he was about 100 yards out going full speed. I lobbed two shots at him, with no luck. Just as he was about to crest the knob and be gone he slowed to a walk. I put the cross hairs on the top of his head and drilled him right through the neck at 150 yards.
Pretty decent buck. I did chase after a slightly bigger buck a couple weeks back that had a little more length and mass. Oh well, he'll be bigger next year.
I was in about 4 miles so the hike out was pretty brutal having to go uphill through the salmon berry and alder patches. Of course the last 10 minutes was spent hiking with the snow coming down, which made me think I made a wise choice in filling the freezer. :cool:

2008Buck2.jpg

2008Buck.jpg

2008Buck5.jpg

The dog was happy that we can now focus on ducks... :D

2008Buck3.jpg

Nice buck and pics. Better get that dog in the water....He looks bored with the deer hunting

Add some insult to injury why don't you. Sweet little buck. Wish I had some venison.

Thats pretty cool TB your wetting my appetite even more.Im seriously considering coming down there next year If my wife returns from Iraq.Just yesterday I was looking at the maps and did not realize the road system in Kodiak was that extensive.

Anyhow good jo on filling that freezer.Daniel

Nice buck! Bluebird skies in the photos, and you packed him out in snow. I'm amazed at how quickly the weather turns up there.

Great buck. Thanks for sharing!

Those deer sure look like they're in good shape. Not a rib or hip showing anywhere.

Someday, Kodiak will happen for me.

Congrats TB! Thats a great buck. Great pics as well!

I sure hope to make time for a hunt there next year!

Nice buck and pics. Must be pretty easy to kill'em, since it looks like a well groomed golf course behind you.;):D

Glad your partner was able to join you.

Thanks for the Kudos. He's a decent buck taping out around 90". I looked over a couple better bucks this year, but they were either too far away or put the slip on me. Not much going for deer on the northend this year after losing our fawn crop 2 years in a row to bad winters. Maybe I'll find a bigger one if I get over to Afognak chasing elk this fall.
Still pissed I didn't get over for my goat tag, but oh well there's always next year. :mad:

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back