Votes: 29 33.0%
  • all or nearly all my hunting is local

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • none of these describe my situation

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pucky Freak

I'm planning on 2 weeks of nonresident hunting per year for the foreseeable future for a variety of reasons, and am interested to hear how others balance their time and money in doing the same, mainly in regards to western big game hunting. The pull for me includes: financial means to hunt as a NR, NR hunting doesn't detract from my local hunting opportunities, opportunity to hunt different terrain, opportunity to hunt different species, want to hunt big game prior to October 1st Iowa deer opener. I currently hunt about 30-40 days per year and NR hunting will consume about 50% of hunting budget, which works fine for me since the remaining 50% for local hunting is sufficient to cover what I want to get out of local hunting anyways.

I also plan on continue to hunt 2 weeks a year as a nonresident, but I just have to travel a little further than most! My budget split is probably closer to 80% for my US trips.

Similar to WapitiBob, south Florida just doesn't have much in terms of enjoyable hunting opportunities for me. That is due to a number of factors, not the least of which are the hot weather and low likelihood for success. Over the next several years I plan to learn more about the northern third of the state and hopefully start finding some success that way. But it's tough with how tight lipped the average FL deer hunter is and the +/- 6 hour drive each way just to learn a new area.

When it comes to big game I'm pretty much a bow hunter and all my out of state hunts are during archery seasons. Those all leave my November Rut hunt alone which is how I like it. I am starting to get the itch to do a later season Western rifle hunt.

I’ve had years where I made multiple Western trips, but after a while, life got in the way. It was all good, as I had an athletic son to keep up with. Now that he’s out of HS, I’ve made a trip to Wyoming each of the past two seasons.
My main focus is always going to be right here at home. My wife shares family property with her cousins. We’ve put the farm back into trees and have a cabin there. It’s been a labor of love developing it into a hunting property.
A hunter can go around the world, but he’s really measured by what he does on his home turf. For many of us, that means killing a good whitetail for our home area.

Always looking for new opportunities for cheap. My repeat hunting destinations are Alaska, Hawaii, and New Zealand.

About the only time I keep my schedule clear is opening weekend of firearms deer season here at home; it takes priority above all else. I usually fill the gaps in my schedule with out-of-state hunts, with the exception being if I draw a really good tag somewhere.

I hunt about 30 days a year. Probably a good third of those I’m only hunting a couple hours in the morning and evening like for early season whitetails or turkeys. So more like 20ish days of actual hunting. That’s breaks out as a little over 2 weeks after deer at home, a week out west, and about a week on turkeys and grouse. Lost some decent whitetail spots at home in WI so I started looking west about 5 years ago.

I’m trying to get in about 1 hunt out west each year. This year I’ll be spending about 8 days (which includes 2 days for travel as my wife counts that as hunting days) in WY for pronghorn.

I spend about $175/year on my WI licenses and points and about $200/year on out of state points. Throw in $700 a year for a special WY antelope or deer tag, etc., gas, maybe $100-$200 on gear a year, and I’m about tapped financially. I think I have just enough room in the budget to add some long shot applications in NM if I can find a buddy to put in with, as I quit on WY moose when the price went up.

My wife stays home with our kids so my time in the woods has come down in recent years (and apparently it’s still too much) and I can’t justify throwing much more money at points.

But if I lose another deer hunting spot or two I might look at less time on whitetails and try to justify another week out west. All that said, I’ve saved enough where I can potentially look at purchasing the right 40-80 acre parcel here in WI. If that happens, the out of state hunting will become rare. I know - first world problems.

Those destinations to hunt are cheap? Enlighten me...unless that was sarcasm I didn't catch on to

NZ doesn't have tags to purchase you just go and hunt.
You can get to AK and HI for free using points programs on cc's.

It's amazing what you can do if you are willing to backpack hunt. Most people need their big coleman stove, wall tents, and 900lbs of other crap and that's why it costs them 20k to kill a moose in AK.

Issues: Money, drive time, and no partner. I have some time every year, I have 1-2 'maybe' partners, I hate to drive, because I spent 20yrs on the road for my job, but the biggest issue is just getting a tag!

NZ doesn't have tags to purchase you just go and hunt.
You can get to AK and HI for free using points programs on cc's.

It's amazing what you can do if you are willing to backpack hunt. Most people need their big coleman stove, wall tents, and 900lbs of other crap and that's why it costs them 20k to kill a moose in AK.

What CC's or point programs should I read up on?

What CC's or point programs should I read up on?

Alaska airlines is pretty much the only carrier I would fly going to AK/HI, I have their credit card, travel points, reduced baggage fees, and a yearly companion ticket. If you are looking at traveling around just the lower 48 you can look at airline specific cards, living in Montana in problematic as united is the primary carrier for most of the airports and let be honest they are the worst airline in the country. If you don't fly all that much except for hunting/vacation I would look at either the Chase sapphire ($99 fee) or BOA travel rewards (no fee). The chase is a bit better in it's rewards but you have to spend enough annually to offset the fee, nerd wallet can tell you what the break point is but it's probably like 10k worth of purchases annually.

Those destinations to hunt are cheap? Enlighten me...unless that was sarcasm I didn't catch on to

Alaska: I fly for free and I camp out.

Hawaii: I purchase cheap tickets because I fly out of San Diego and Alaska Airlines has a major hub there. My wife flies with me for $100 RT with AK Air companion fare. We camp out in Hawaii, or rent hunter housing for about $45 pp per day.

New Zealand: I always get my RT air for less than $1,000 because I signed up for email notifications for specials. Usually get a good deal on cyber Monday. Cheapest I've flown is $734 RT. I fly out of LAX. Again, I camp out. Rocket Rental camper van is $18 nzd converted to $usd = $12 then split with a friend = $6 per day. No tag or license fees and I bring trophies home as checked baggage.
20140912_100113.jpg20140521_152623.jpg20131030_140507.jpg

Looks like i need to say goodbye to Cabela's Club and do some research. They pretty much suck now anyway.

Alaska: I fly for free and I camp out.

Hawaii: I purchase cheap tickets because I fly out of San Diego and Alaska Airlines has a major hub there. My wife flies with me for $100 RT with AK Air companion fare. We camp out in Hawaii, or rent hunter housing for about $45 pp per day.

New Zealand: I always get my RT air for less than $1,000 because I signed up for email notifications for specials. Usually get a good deal on cyber Monday. Cheapest I've flown is $734 RT. I fly out of LAX. Again, I camp out. Rocket Rental camper van is $18 nzd converted to $usd = $12 then split with a friend = $6 per day. No tag or license fees and I bring trophies home as checked baggage.
View attachment 112816View attachment 112817View attachment 112818

@glass eye what kind of bird is that? In NZ?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back