Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Population Growth and Hunting in Rocky Mountain States

Don’t get me wrong, living 30min from Bridger bowl would be awesome and I hear there’s big bucks in the eastern part of the state but you can buy that same house in Il for less than 150k and just go on vacation 2 months a year 🤷‍♂️

at least in bozeman you can get more than 1500 square feet for 3/4 million type money

my wife and i just put earnest money down with a builder to build a home (not in denver) that would have cost us 100,000 less two year ago 🤮

We've gotta push for strong county growth plans, for conservation easements, for keeping working ag lands as such. Even outside of private lands, we have got to intelligently plan the use of public lands, and we have to fight in perpetuity those who would legislate and manage the public trust of wildlife poorly or exploit it. We have to accept the fact that we will hunt less. And we have to do all this while simultaneously saying goodbye.
Excellent post. It took one song (Rocky Mountain High) to ruin Colorado, one movie (A River Runs Through It) to ruin Montana fly fishing, and maybe one virus (and a few burning cities) to finish off what was once the relative solitude of Montana. Obviously oversimplifying but you get the gist.

Nevertheless, all we can do is fight the good fight.

As a 60 year CO resident, I'm starting to catch a glimmer of how the Utes felt in 1876.

Summit County is suburban Denver, as is Monument and everything north past Ft. Collins. Vail has suburbs and commuters as far away as Dotsero. Urban sprawl now bulges east toward KS from Front Range communities.

1n 1976 voters here refused the 1976 Winter Olympics, largely in opposition to growth. It came anyway. Communities from Aspen to Estes Park have tried to pump the brakes on growth, which only accelerated the appreciation of property values. Others like my current city of residence never met a developer they didn't bend over for and welcome a tongue down their throat.

This spring we tried relocating to a nearby town known for its fervid embrace of the corrections industry, as a calmer place to retire and stretch our housing budget. Too late, home values there have doubled in the last 5 years. Every week we get @ least 3 unsolicited offers to buy our 1200 sf house built in '54.

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.” Edward Abbey, 1977.​

Some things should not be for sale. Until our society values health over wealth and sustainability over consumerism, we will continue as proverbial lemmings. From my current sportsperson's rep on CPW's Roundtable perspective, over just the last year I have watched CPW's emphasis lurch away from wildlife and resources to herd management of humans. It isn't pretty, but is absolutely urgent.

Last edited:

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.” Edward Abbey, 1977.​

Some things should not be for sale. Until our society values health over wealth and sustainability over consumerism, we will continue as proverbial lemmings.

Nailed it.

Yeah well, the little slice of heaven where I am is getting pounded. mtmuley
I dont know where there leaving. Illinois is far from heaven, but it this part of the country was always home, it's not anymore. Like termites. How I hate it. Now if I want to raise my kids the same way I'll be guilty of it too, vicious cycle.

at least in bozeman you can get more than 1500 square feet for 3/4 million type money

my wife and i just put earnest money down with a builder to build a home (not in denver) that would have cost us 100,000 less two year ago 🤮
I grew up in Morrison. Always wanted to get west of the hogback. Don't know if that's possible anymore.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back