Population Growth and Hunting in Rocky Mountain States

MTGomer

Check out the book “Spillover” by David Quammen (out of Bozeman). It’s just a matter of time.
I’ll check out the book but I know it’s just a matter of time.
Stoked on our national/global preparedness and modification of lifestyles and food systems so that we can prevent it. (Sarcasm)

PrairieHunter

Anyone know if property prices around the Black Hills gone up like they have in WY, CO, MT, etc...?

You used to be able to get a pretty good deal in that area down through Hot Springs on the South Side.

Gerald Martin

Guess I can’t complain when I am part of the problem. Sure gonna be glad to get into this place. Feels surreal to look at the price of materials and the $$$number realtors are listing and selling houses at.

Attachments

• 5A4021C2-B7FA-4A56-A554-3DABBB229446.jpeg
    5A4021C2-B7FA-4A56-A554-3DABBB229446.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 8B535597-DC50-4C13-9CAA-4355EDDB2E4B.jpeg
    8B535597-DC50-4C13-9CAA-4355EDDB2E4B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30

MTGomer

Elaborate, you've got my attention

There is a high risk for weird bird flus and other viruses to thrive and then jump to humans in the crowded unsanitary live markets they have in Asia where multiple species are packed on top of another. If you Google the book beignet mentioned that author has the same concerns.

Combine that with the standard American diet of processed foods and sugars, which causes high obesity rates and inflammation, it’s not good. Imagine if Covid killed 1/3 of the people that got it. Scary to think about but that’s possible with a different virus on a different day.

There’d be less folks in the elk draw after that...

Last edited:

MTGomer

Anyone know if property prices around the Black Hills gone up like they have in WY, CO, MT, etc...?

You used to be able to get a pretty good deal in that area down through Hot Springs on the South Side.
I just looked real quick. Don’t know what prices used to be but there is liveable homes from 220-350

Nunyacreek

Like everyone else, I don't have a solution to people. But in terms of wildlife I have to think that Nameless had it right when he posted on page one - "acres is king" I often look at Montana Fishing Access Sites, for example, and marvel at the foresight and dedication of people who came before us. Many of these sites today could not be purchased at any price, I'm certainly glad they were bought when they were.
Montana is not Colorado - yet. We have the ability to conserve - I purposely did not say preserve - immense amounts of wildlife habitat now through a diverse toolbox of conservation methods and ideas that maintain a landscape we love and the people and creatures on it.

Perhaps we should be grateful that we as a conservation community and more importantly, folks beyond our narrow community, are having this realization before it is too late. I'm not sure how we do it, but we are moving in the right direction. If this influx of people and change force all of us to wake up pursue these efforts with renewed zeal then all is not lost.

Handlebar

Heard from a colleague the other day that the Northern Hills (Spearfish) market is the hottest market outside of Florida right now. I think that the southern Hills are a little more reasonable but I have seen some crazy listings. The transformation of the I-90 corridor from Spearfish to Rapid City in the past 17 years is eerily reminiscent of the Denver to Colorado Springs corridor. Albeit on a smaller scale.

ZBB

Handlebar is right, spearfish is going crazy now. My mom has a realtor friend in the northern hills who also does a lot of business in big sky I think. Tried getting her to buy a house on the new golf course in spearfish for like 380k or somewhere in that ballpark, and I think it was just a two bedroom condo. A lot of the old shitbox buildings in deadwood are getting bought up and turned in to lofts and breweries. The new stuff in lead is vacation rentals and second homes I’m sure. Somebody bought 10 acres next to my dads house in deadwood sight unseen about 6 months ago.Pretty sad actually, I’d like to move back to lead/deadwood at some point. Just isn’t home anymore it feels like. I think southern hills has stayed pretty steady as far as prices go. I check Zillow or similar every other week or so, edgemont and hot springs minus right around Angostura hasn’t seemed to change much. I think hermosa is starting to get the trickle from rapid. Anything west of 385 is probably a loss at this point.