Caribou Gear Tarp

Population Growth and Hunting in Rocky Mountain States

Check out the book “Spillover” by David Quammen (out of Bozeman). It’s just a matter of time.
I’ll check out the book but I know it’s just a matter of time.
Stoked on our national/global preparedness and modification of lifestyles and food systems so that we can prevent it. (Sarcasm)

Anyone know if property prices around the Black Hills gone up like they have in WY, CO, MT, etc...?

You used to be able to get a pretty good deal in that area down through Hot Springs on the South Side.

Guess I can’t complain when I am part of the problem. Sure gonna be glad to get into this place. Feels surreal to look at the price of materials and the $$$number realtors are listing and selling houses at.

Attachments

• 5A4021C2-B7FA-4A56-A554-3DABBB229446.jpeg
    5A4021C2-B7FA-4A56-A554-3DABBB229446.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 8B535597-DC50-4C13-9CAA-4355EDDB2E4B.jpeg
    8B535597-DC50-4C13-9CAA-4355EDDB2E4B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
Elaborate, you've got my attention

There is a high risk for weird bird flus and other viruses to thrive and then jump to humans in the crowded unsanitary live markets they have in Asia where multiple species are packed on top of another. If you Google the book beignet mentioned that author has the same concerns.

Combine that with the standard American diet of processed foods and sugars, which causes high obesity rates and inflammation, it’s not good. Imagine if Covid killed 1/3 of the people that got it. Scary to think about but that’s possible with a different virus on a different day.

There’d be less folks in the elk draw after that...

Last edited:
Anyone know if property prices around the Black Hills gone up like they have in WY, CO, MT, etc...?

You used to be able to get a pretty good deal in that area down through Hot Springs on the South Side.
I just looked real quick. Don’t know what prices used to be but there is liveable homes from 220-350

Like everyone else, I don't have a solution to people. But in terms of wildlife I have to think that Nameless had it right when he posted on page one - "acres is king" I often look at Montana Fishing Access Sites, for example, and marvel at the foresight and dedication of people who came before us. Many of these sites today could not be purchased at any price, I'm certainly glad they were bought when they were.
Montana is not Colorado - yet. We have the ability to conserve - I purposely did not say preserve - immense amounts of wildlife habitat now through a diverse toolbox of conservation methods and ideas that maintain a landscape we love and the people and creatures on it.

Perhaps we should be grateful that we as a conservation community and more importantly, folks beyond our narrow community, are having this realization before it is too late. I'm not sure how we do it, but we are moving in the right direction. If this influx of people and change force all of us to wake up pursue these efforts with renewed zeal then all is not lost.

Heard from a colleague the other day that the Northern Hills (Spearfish) market is the hottest market outside of Florida right now. I think that the southern Hills are a little more reasonable but I have seen some crazy listings. The transformation of the I-90 corridor from Spearfish to Rapid City in the past 17 years is eerily reminiscent of the Denver to Colorado Springs corridor. Albeit on a smaller scale.

Handlebar is right, spearfish is going crazy now. My mom has a realtor friend in the northern hills who also does a lot of business in big sky I think. Tried getting her to buy a house on the new golf course in spearfish for like 380k or somewhere in that ballpark, and I think it was just a two bedroom condo. A lot of the old shitbox buildings in deadwood are getting bought up and turned in to lofts and breweries. The new stuff in lead is vacation rentals and second homes I’m sure. Somebody bought 10 acres next to my dads house in deadwood sight unseen about 6 months ago.Pretty sad actually, I’d like to move back to lead/deadwood at some point. Just isn’t home anymore it feels like. I think southern hills has stayed pretty steady as far as prices go. I check Zillow or similar every other week or so, edgemont and hot springs minus right around Angostura hasn’t seemed to change much. I think hermosa is starting to get the trickle from rapid. Anything west of 385 is probably a loss at this point.

I've read every post of this thread and I just want to share what a lot of my friends, family, and work associates who are natives to my state are feeling:

My family has been in Montana as trappers and loggers, then teachers, and now various healthcare professionals since the late 1800's. I can say with all my heart, that we don't want you here from wherever you are coming from, no matter what your "values" or "political views" or "love of hunting and the outdoors" is. We don't care about what you think you will do for our economy or what business you will bring, etc. You (yes, YOU) are going to be one more piece of firewood (do they even have that where you come from?) thrown on the fire of increasing costs, reduced opportunities, and overcrowding of both rural communities as well as "cities" in Montana. My parents live in a very rural town in MT and people from out of state are buying properties there, site unseen, for twice what they were worth a year ago. I live in Billings, and am watching growth daily! My neighbor is a realtor and she tells me how many properties she is selling every day to people from out of state. WHY! More people coming here at the rate that they are will ruin our amazing state regardless of what their mindset or intentions are. You are better off enjoying Montana and other western states as a nonresident than you are flocking here like sheep and subsequently driving up costs, pressuring wildlife, limiting opportunities, crowding towns and cities, etc. All of which will lead to implementation of legislation that will make our state much less desirable to live. Many Montanans feel this way. Exceptions are perhaps those, who themselves are already transplants.
The only solution I would propose is to tax the hell out of people who want to move here. A one time entry tax to make them cover the increase in tax revenue that will be needed for such a rapid increase in population. This will both discourage such rapid growth as we are now having as well as provide some benefit to the people that already live here. It would also keep property prices from creeping up if, for example, Joe Blow who sells his 1200 sqft house for $800K in California and moves to Montana to "work" remotely has to spend a big chunk of that on his entry tax rather than offering 35% over an asking price on a property here. I also feel that people who live in Montana should be employed in Montana or provide some sort of good or service to Montanans. None of this working from home for a company in Silicon Valley B.S. because doing that, you're really only taking up space.

A couple of things for people who are thinking about flocking here to remember:
1. Just because you also like elk hunting does not mean you and I and other native Montanans are alike.
2. You are probably more like the people from the state you're coming from than you are like someone from My state, even if you think you're not.
3. Because you are more like the people from you're current state, native Montanans often have to be the ones to adapt to you and not the other way around. I've seen this so much over the years
4. We don't want you here
You can’t just own Montana.
Its gods Montana, man.

I've read every post of this thread and I just want to share what a lot of my friends, family, and work associates who are natives to my state are feeling:

My family has been in Montana as trappers and loggers, then teachers, and now various healthcare professionals since the late 1800's. I can say with all my heart, that we don't want you here from wherever you are coming from, no matter what your "values" or "political views" or "love of hunting and the outdoors" is. We don't care about what you think you will do for our economy or what business you will bring, etc. You (yes, YOU) are going to be one more piece of firewood (do they even have that where you come from?) thrown on the fire of increasing costs, reduced opportunities, and overcrowding of both rural communities as well as "cities" in Montana. My parents live in a very rural town in MT and people from out of state are buying properties there, site unseen, for twice what they were worth a year ago. I live in Billings, and am watching growth daily! My neighbor is a realtor and she tells me how many properties she is selling every day to people from out of state. WHY! More people coming here at the rate that they are will ruin our amazing state regardless of what their mindset or intentions are. You are better off enjoying Montana and other western states as a nonresident than you are flocking here like sheep and subsequently driving up costs, pressuring wildlife, limiting opportunities, crowding towns and cities, etc. All of which will lead to implementation of legislation that will make our state much less desirable to live. Many Montanans feel this way. Exceptions are perhaps those, who themselves are already transplants.
The only solution I would propose is to tax the hell out of people who want to move here. A one time entry tax to make them cover the increase in tax revenue that will be needed for such a rapid increase in population. This will both discourage such rapid growth as we are now having as well as provide some benefit to the people that already live here. It would also keep property prices from creeping up if, for example, Joe Blow who sells his 1200 sqft house for $800K in California and moves to Montana to "work" remotely has to spend a big chunk of that on his entry tax rather than offering 35% over an asking price on a property here. I also feel that people who live in Montana should be employed in Montana or provide some sort of good or service to Montanans. None of this working from home for a company in Silicon Valley B.S. because doing that, you're really only taking up space.

1. Just because you also like elk hunting does not mean you and I and other native Montanans are alike.
2. You are probably more like the people from the state you're coming from than you are like someone from My state, even if you think you're not.
3. Because you are more like the people from you're current state, native Montanans often have to be the ones to adapt to you and not the other way around. I've seen this so much over the years
Welcome to Hunttalk?

Did you vote for GG?

I'm sure the Crow have some thoughts on the subject of your family of interlopers...

:rolleyes: Happened before will happen again, if it weren't such a common theme of the human experience we wouldn't have so many words specifically about it... off the top of my head...

Sassenach
Haole
Gringo
Gaijin

You can be pissed but it won't change a thing.

lolz

i might move to montana now just to grind your little gears

This is what native Montanans said to your ancestors in the 1800s and they didn't listen either.

Sorry dude, I can sympathize with your points in a way, being from a state currently dealing with similar sticky immigration situations, but I don't think you're winning anyone over with your "got mine, shut the door behind me" mindset... better to accept the reality of it and try to work on educating your new fellow Montanans on how to live in harmony with the state's resources and ecosystems.

Automatically got to like a person that speaks their mind. Even if I disagree.

I just had to puke out what I know a lot of people in MT are feeling. I wouldn't say I'm "pissed". I can just see what is on the horizon. MT is headed towards what Utah and Colorado have become as far as cost and hunting opportunity for resident's.
I feel this is where wllm would insert a certain Morgan Freeman meme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back