Population Growth and Hunting in Rocky Mountain States

Sensitive candy butt snowflakes with feelings don't make it long in Mongolia FYI
This is the truth.
Now I know where I recognized you. You were the two fourth graders that ganged up on the kindergartners and gave them swirlies in the bathroom.

I got you pegged.

I make the declaration that your words can’t hurt me.

The cold never bothered me anyway.

I know where I've seen that guy. He got caught choppering in to the Bob to catch cutties on dries.
Still sore over not getting the invite are you? I would have asked you to come but I would have had to leave one of the cases of champagne behind. Surely, you didn’t expect me to suffer deprivation on a heli fishing excursion?

Still sore over not getting the invite are you? I would have asked you to come but I would have had to leave one of the cases of champagne behind. Surely, you didn’t expect me to suffer deprivation on a heli fishing excursion?

And I'd call you in again, scofflaw!

Sensitive candy butt snowflakes with feelings don't make it long in Mongolia FYI
Been thinking about this for the past hour. I been @Bozeman/Big Sky long enough to know that when the going gets tough the tough complain to room service.
I think I got Mongolia. I didn’t listen to Hank Williams Jr. for nothing.

If people try, we can go through all the motions and complete the cycle in less than 15 years!

2022: #Move2Mongolia movement begins
2024: Montanans and other cantankerous westerners begin the migration
2027: Enough cantankerous westerners arrive in Mongolia to change towns, attain government representation
2028: Mongolians begin to tell cantankerous westerners to go back where they came from
2032: Californians arrive
2034: Tags are impossible to get and all the good animals are on private
2035: Cantankerous westerners tell Californians to go back where they came from (irony not allowed through airport security)
2036: Housing in New Bozeman and Mongolissoula reaches crisis level
2037: #Switch2Siberia movement begins

Cheap housing in rural Japan too. Young people there want to live in the big cities. Young and dumb I say.

Don't do it; It will take you about 2-3 years to get a shotgun permit and you will always be a 3rd class person there unless your Japanese.

If people try, we can go through all the motions and complete the cycle in less than 15 years!

2022: #Move2Mongolia movement begins
2024: Montanans and other cantankerous westerners begin the migration
2027: Enough cantankerous westerners arrive in Mongolia to change towns, attain government representation
2028: Mongolians begin to tell cantankerous westerners to go back where they came from
2032: Californians arrive
2034: Tags are impossible to get and all the good animals are on private
2035: Cantankerous westerners tell Californians to go back where they came from (irony not allowed through airport security)
2036: Housing in New Bozeman and Mongolissoula reaches crisis level
2037: #Switch2Siberia movement begins
Texwest44 for President.

I think often about what population boom means for the west, how peoples’ relationship with place is very similar to their relationships with one another, and how the ways we grieve the deaths of our loved ones is actually quite similar to how we grieve the death of our loved places. I’m only 35, and in terms of the land where I grew up, there is death all around me. I remember the hills where the subdivision I now live in exists, and in a way, every family home may as well be a tombstone.

It really doesn't stop. A thousandish acre public parcel, where my brother, father, and I have taken numerous deer and elk - last year on one side was developed. The folks who built there walk in out their back yards, or just look out their back windows, and take the elk and deer when they see them. This year, now on the other side, another development planned. The land is still accessible, but the experience is gone. As development continues, one thing to think about aside from loss of habitat and more people, is more people are everyday on the edge of opportunity - I see more and more animals harvested by people whose yards provide the gateway to where they can pull the trigger. Good for them, but it no doubt is an extra pressure on what is.

When I was young, I'd often hear the statements from those who'd been around longer than me: "I remember when this was the edge of town", or " I used hunt that." I always took it as a matter of fact, or something to consider, but really I now see those statements as lamentations.

I write this, and resurrect this thread for nothing more than an outlet for my own angst. I feel it every day- on social media, on realtor.com, on the landscape I used to think I knew. It really does give one heartache, and I want to run from it, and actually think I could and it largely wouldn't catch me before my life ended - fall in love with somewhere less likely to be erased in my lifetime. Of course there is still tons and tons of good out there, and that is where most of my focus lies, but it is hard to say goodbye to a chunk of earth in your neck of the woods. It's like breaking up with someone but continuing to have to see them every day.

Last edited:
It really doesn't stop. A thousandish acre public parcel, where my brother, father, and I have taken numerous deer and elk - last year on one side was developed. The folks who built there walk in out their back yards, or just look out their back windows, and take the elk and deer when they see them. This year, now on the other side, another development planned. The land is still accessible, but the experience is gone. As development continues, one thing to think about aside from loss of habitat and more people, is more people are everyday on the edge of opportunity - I see more and more animals harvested by people whose yards provide the gateway to where they can pull the trigger. Good for them, but it no doubt is an extra pressure on what is.
I’ve been thinking of reviving a run of the old “Save an Elk, Shoot a Land Developer” bumper stickers. I’ll put you on the list for one.

I write this, and resurrect this thread for nothing more than an outlet for my own angst. I feel it every day- on social media, on realtor.com, on the landscape I used to think I knew. It really does give one heartache, and I want to run from it, and actually think I could and it largely wouldn't catch me before my life ended - fall in love with somewhere less likely to be erased in my lifetime. Of course there is still tons and tons of good out there, and that is where most of my focus lies, but it is hard to say goodbye to a chunk of earth in your neck of the woods. It's like breaking up with someone but continuing to have to see them every day.
Love this, but hate it. Well said.

Back