Poll: which Leupold to choose?

Which Leupold rifle scope?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WestKyHunt

I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag. Help me choose which Leupold to put on it!
The 2 choices are both 50mm objectives on 30mm tubes

Love my vx-3i’s, not personally a fan of 50mm scopes for the extra height and weight.
I'm concurring with this. Is either in a CDS an Option? I'm not familiar with the firedot recticle. sounds like low light at a far distance is your main concern....

I will admit that my scope knowledge is limited.
I live in Western Ky and have always shot cheap 3-9 scopes on lever action rifles.
This is my first foray into long range high power rifles/scopes and I'm trying to do it right, in preparation for many years of traveling west to hunt.

Is the light gathering advantage of a 50mm not worth the extra weight?

I'm concurring with this. Is either in a CDS an Option? I'm not familiar with the firedot recticle. sounds like low light at a far distance is your main concern....
I believe both can have CDS dials made.
While I'm not keen on shooting father than 450yd I would like to have the ability.

I will admit that my scope knowledge is limited.
I live in Western Ky and have always shot cheap 3-9 scopes on lever action rifles.
This is my first foray into long range high power rifles/scopes and I'm trying to do it right, in preparation for many years of traveling west to hunt.

Is the light gathering advantage of a 50mm not worth the extra weight?

IMO, No. the bigger issue I have over weight is having to mount the scope higher and thus reducing cheek to stock pressure. As for light gathering, having a 40mm objective has never limited my shooting from a light perspective.

What about 30mm vs 1" tubes?

I agree with MinnesotaHunter, I much prefer 40mm so i can mount the scope lower. I have one 30mm tube and its ok, but I prefer 1". I have a bunch of VX3 4-14x40 and I am very satisfied. I prefer the CDS over B&C reticles but thats a personal preference thing.
Whichever you decide on, contact Schmalts on this forum for unbeatable prices.

Between the two, I'd go with the VX-3. If it's available though, get it with a Fire Dot reticle. I've got two Leupold Scopes, both with Firedot reticles, one Duplex, one Windplex, and they are worth the additional cost.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back