Caribou Gear Tarp

Poll: which Leupold to choose?

Which Leupold rifle scope?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WestKyHunt

I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag. Help me choose which Leupold to put on it!
The 2 choices are both 50mm objectives on 30mm tubes

Love my vx-3i’s, not personally a fan of 50mm scopes for the extra height and weight.
I'm concurring with this. Is either in a CDS an Option? I'm not familiar with the firedot recticle. sounds like low light at a far distance is your main concern....

I will admit that my scope knowledge is limited.
I live in Western Ky and have always shot cheap 3-9 scopes on lever action rifles.
This is my first foray into long range high power rifles/scopes and I'm trying to do it right, in preparation for many years of traveling west to hunt.

Is the light gathering advantage of a 50mm not worth the extra weight?

I'm concurring with this. Is either in a CDS an Option? I'm not familiar with the firedot recticle. sounds like low light at a far distance is your main concern....
I believe both can have CDS dials made.
While I'm not keen on shooting father than 450yd I would like to have the ability.

I will admit that my scope knowledge is limited.
I live in Western Ky and have always shot cheap 3-9 scopes on lever action rifles.
This is my first foray into long range high power rifles/scopes and I'm trying to do it right, in preparation for many years of traveling west to hunt.

Is the light gathering advantage of a 50mm not worth the extra weight?

IMO, No. the bigger issue I have over weight is having to mount the scope higher and thus reducing cheek to stock pressure. As for light gathering, having a 40mm objective has never limited my shooting from a light perspective.

What about 30mm vs 1" tubes?

I agree with MinnesotaHunter, I much prefer 40mm so i can mount the scope lower. I have one 30mm tube and its ok, but I prefer 1". I have a bunch of VX3 4-14x40 and I am very satisfied. I prefer the CDS over B&C reticles but thats a personal preference thing.
Whichever you decide on, contact Schmalts on this forum for unbeatable prices.

Between the two, I'd go with the VX-3. If it's available though, get it with a Fire Dot reticle. I've got two Leupold Scopes, both with Firedot reticles, one Duplex, one Windplex, and they are worth the additional cost.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back