Pickup of the Future?

I agree that EV’s are not necessarily as “green” as the marketeers would lead us to believe, but that being said, they are far more efficient in their use of power than any ICE vehicle ever made. Are they zero carbon footprint? No. Are they far lower carbon footprint than ICE vehicles? Yes. Add to that the fact that some of an EV’s power can come from renewable sources such as wind, solar and hydro. The only option for ICE vehicles is non-renewable carbon sources.

Those are the facts and the science. If it doesn’t align to your political rant, not much I can do about that. We won’t convert to all EV overnight, and the pace of that conversion will be somewhat dictated by the supporting infrastructure such as the power generation and distribution capabilities. But to think we aren’t headed that direction is naive. We didn’t have household electricity at all 150 years ago. But that didn’t stop Edison from inventing the lightbulb, nor did it prevent electricity and lightbulbs eventually ending up in almost every home.
So, your time frame for everyone to own an electric vehicle that can go cross country without frequent charging stops at charging stations that aren't built yet, power generated by??? on an electrical grid that can't handle it....is what, 150 years?

So, your time frame for everyone to own an electric vehicle that can go cross country without frequent charging stops at charging stations that aren't built yet, power generated by??? on an electrical grid that can't handle it....is what, 150 years?
Hell, that's only 37.5 consecutive Biden terms..completely doable. ;)

I’d guess less than 20. The pace of change has increased exponentially since the advent of computers, in case you hadn’t noticed. Some will continue to resist that change - it’s human nature. But change always wins out in the end.

So when this pipe dream comes to fruition and no ICE's vehicles are on the road anymore, who pays to maintain the roads? Electricity tax?

A number of states are already experimenting with a mileage tax. California just tacked an additional fee on registrations for low emissions vehicles to make up for lost revenue. They'll figure it out.

So when this pipe dream comes to fruition and no ICE's vehicles are on the road anymore, who pays to maintain the roads? Electricity tax?

Gas taxes, excise taxes, user taxes/fees, etc. only cover 53% any this point.

A number of states are already experimenting with a mileage tax. California just tacked an additional fee on registrations for low emissions vehicles to make up for lost revenue. They'll figure it out.
So that's why there 5000 California plates driving around Hamilton right now looking for a house to buy. Makes sense. ;)

NC actually has a surcharge on EV’s that’s paid as part of your annual vehicle registration renewal. I have full confidence that governments will find alternative taxes to offset the existing motor fuels tax.

I’d guess less than 20. The pace of change has increased exponentially since the advent of computers, in case you hadn’t noticed. Some will continue to resist that change - it’s human nature. But change always wins out in the end.
My money is on brownouts and blackouts in our future.

NC actually has a surcharge on EV’s that’s paid as part of your annual vehicle registration renewal. I have full confidence that governments will find alternative taxes to offset the existing motor fuels tax.
Which causes people with EV's to relieze that they are an extremely expensive alternative, and they will not buy one again.

There will always be trucks from the big three with proper V-8 engines of 350 ci or more that are really trucks. An EV truck will be pretty handy for sacks of groceries and the black lab. mtmuley

There will always be trucks from the big three with proper V-8 engines of 350 ci or more that are really trucks. An EV truck will be pretty handy for sacks of groceries and the black lab. mtmuley
Considering a good portion of the chevy's, sierras, and dodges are made in either Canada or Mexico you're really between a ford and Tundra if you want to stay with American made, or (wait for it) the Honda Ridgeline.

Considering a good portion of the chevy's, sierras, and dodges are made in either Canada or Mexico you're really between a ford and Tundra if you want to stay with American made, or (wait for it) the Honda Ridgeline.
I know where you want to go with your reasoning. I guess American company covers it better. Is it such a stretch some people don't want to drive a (insert foreign truck here)? I've seen the list of "most American" made. A Jeep topped it last I looked. mtmuley

I know where you want to go with your reasoning. I guess American company covers it better. Is it such a stretch some people don't want to drive a (insert foreign truck here)? I've seen the list of "most American" made. A Jeep topped it last I looked. mtmuley
I actually think the F150, is the most American made truck.

But generally I agree. You're not getting 8 ton of hay with a Rivian. You're not getting firewood in a Cybertruck. I don't plan to get rid of my Tundra and replace it with a Rivian. I'll just get a rivian and park the truck (not much different than now since I've been driving the wife's car since covid).

Last edited:
Look at how fast cell phone technology changed in the 22 years I've had one. It's mind boggling.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back