Caribou Gear

Pickup of the Future?

I think having a standardized interchangeable battery system will be paramount to charging stations. People driving long distances aren’t going to want to stop and wait for a charge, but if they can develop and market a battery that is easily removed and replaced with a fully charged one then I think the electric industry could take off.

I always find it interesting electric vehicles are touted as great for the environment, but if they are using electricity from a coal fired energy plant what is the real net carbon savings, if any? Sure they might not put pollution directly into the air but the source of electricity never gets mentioned in this discussion.

Price point seems fair to me, especially with the tax credit.
Maybe coal is the new "Green" fuel for electricity. Biden is nuts if he thinks that wind or solar or both will be enough to charge all the electric vehicles he says he wants folks to buy. Not to mention that the existing grid couldn't handle it. On a cross country trip who would want to wait for hours to refuel.

Maybe coal is the new "Green" fuel for electricity. Biden is nuts if he thinks that wind or solar or both will be enough to charge all the electric vehicles he says he wants folks to buy. Not to mention that the existing grid couldn't handle it. On a cross country trip who would want to wait for hours to refuel.
I agree that EV’s are not necessarily as “green” as the marketeers would lead us to believe, but that being said, they are far more efficient in their use of power than any ICE vehicle ever made. Are they zero carbon footprint? No. Are they far lower carbon footprint than ICE vehicles? Yes. Add to that the fact that some of an EV’s power can come from renewable sources such as wind, solar and hydro. The only option for ICE vehicles is non-renewable carbon sources.

Those are the facts and the science. If it doesn’t align to your political rant, not much I can do about that. We won’t convert to all EV overnight, and the pace of that conversion will be somewhat dictated by the supporting infrastructure such as the power generation and distribution capabilities. But to think we aren’t headed that direction is naive. We didn’t have household electricity at all 150 years ago. But that didn’t stop Edison from inventing the lightbulb, nor did it prevent electricity and lightbulbs eventually ending up in almost every home.

And today’s existing Level 3 charging, can fully charge most EV’s in an hour or less. Not sure where your “4 hr” charge time is coming from, but you should check your facts before you rant. And it’s only going to get faster. You know, science and stuff, it improves over time.

Sorry, misread “for hours” as “four hours”, but the point remains. It doesn’t take “hours” (plural) today, and it will take even less time in the future. Deny it all you want, it doesn’t change the facts.

@Wildabeast it turns into hours when you're waiting in line for the charger ;)
Good point. I’ve owned a Tesla since 2015, and the only time I’ve had to wait at a supercharger was when some idiot with a truck and trailer decided that those 8 empty spots (clearly marked as “FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING ONLY”) were really being reserved for his gas guzzling rig!

I’ve seen pictures of the lines in CA and other big city. Just another reason why I don’t want to live in big cities! However, I do believe that the infrastructure and the vehicles production/adoption will evolve to meet the demands of each other. There will be times when they are out of sync, but the market will correct it in due time and things will continue to progress.

Was just giving you a hard time. Battery tech needs to make a couple leaps before I'll think about moving to EV, and elimination of cobalt for Li-ion would be a good start. Once range (especially while hauling), temp issues in cold climates, etc. are resolved I'll look at retrofit kits for 67-72 Chevy trucks. As for now, it's getting an LS.

Feel like more technology into the batteries and how long they will last needs to be done. once the technology catches up I'm sure all the major car companies will be coming out with them.

I work from home and don't put many miles on my old 2000 F250, maybe 1,500 year. I'd love it if some company came out with a decent retrofit kit I could have installed at a reasonable price to turn it into an electric rig. I think it'd be cool cruising around in a 20+ year old pickup with the torque of an electric engine, even if I only had 100 mile range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back