Caribou Gear

Pickup of the Future?

I think having a standardized interchangeable battery system will be paramount to charging stations. People driving long distances aren’t going to want to stop and wait for a charge, but if they can develop and market a battery that is easily removed and replaced with a fully charged one then I think the electric industry could take off.

The battery pack in a Tesla weighs 1200 pounds and spans the length of the vehicle, with the body of the car sitting on top of it. Faster charging and more prevalent stations seems much more feasible than reducing the size of the battery so substantially.

The battery pack in a Tesla weighs 1200 pounds and spans the length of the vehicle, with the body of the car sitting on top of it. Faster charging and more prevalent stations seems much more feasible than reducing the size of the battery so substantially.

Perhaps. The first computers took up an entire room. Now we have smart phones in the palm of our hands.

download-jpg.141774
download.jpg

Last edited:
I was pretty high up on the pre-order list for the Bollinger (https://bollingermotors.com/). But when base price went from $60k to $125k at the launch, I bailed. That’s an insane price for a very bare bones utilitarian truck with only 200 miles of range. Although it seems to have some amazing offroad capability and just looks cool.

I currently have a reservation for a Rivian (https://rivian.com/), but I’m pretty far down the list since I jumped in later after I bailed on the Bollinger. This is the opposite extreme as it relates to creature comforts and electronics. More akin to a Tesla. I’ve owned a Tesla Model S since 2015. Absolutely love that car and have driven it back and forth across the country numerous times. Zero maintenance except for tires and windshield wiper blades/fluid, and I’ve never paid a dime for charging it. It doesn’t meet my off-road needs, though, so I also have a 4Runner. Hoping to replace both with the Rivian. The large battery pack for the Rivian is advertised at 400 miles.

I think having a standardized interchangeable battery system will be paramount to charging stations
Not necessarily “standardized”, but Tesla has already developed the technology for swapping batteries.

Hasn’t been deployed beyond a couple of test sites in CA, and who knows whether it will ever get rolled out on a broad scale. But they’ve proven the technical/mechanical feasibility. Financial and logistical feasibility still TBD, but that’s never stopped Elon in the past!

"And it can get out of a jam, such as the mud, because it has a precise, computer-controlled motor built into each wheel. The software slows down the wheels, preventing slippage, giving the vehicle better traction than a traditional pickup, Burns said."

Here is a youtube of a rival truck.

Mo computers mo Possible problems in the backcountry.

I was pretty high up on the pre-order list for the Bollinger (https://bollingermotors.com/). But when base price went from $60k to $125k at the launch, I bailed. That’s an insane price for a very bare bones utilitarian truck with only 200 miles of range. Although it seems to have some amazing offroad capability and just looks cool.

I currently have a reservation for a Rivian (https://rivian.com/), but I’m pretty far down the list since I jumped in later after I bailed on the Bollinger. This is the opposite extreme as it relates to creature comforts and electronics. More akin to a Tesla. I’ve owned a Tesla Model S since 2015. Absolutely love that car and have driven it back and forth across the country numerous times. Zero maintenance except for tires and windshield wiper blades/fluid, and I’ve never paid a dime for charging it. It doesn’t meet my off-road needs, though, so I also have a 4Runner. Hoping to replace both with the Rivian. The large battery pack for the Rivian is advertised at 400 miles.
My daughter will be building it. It's interesting, and I keep up with her updates on the plant as well as truck info. Won't buy one for myself but will take one to "field test"! ;)

This isn't an everyday occurrence, but on a busy holiday weekend....
In 5 yrs. owning a Tesla, I’ve never had to wait for a supercharger stall. I think CA is mainly where they are seeing some lines at the chargers, but I really have no reason to be driving there so it’s not a problem for me. The only issue I had was that I was driving across the country one time and somewhere in the middle of Kansas stopped at a supercharger in the middle of the night. This one was located in a hotel parking lot, as many of them are. Some idiot with a pickup and 24’ trailer decided to park his rig across all 8 charging spots. I took a nap for a couple of hours, and luckily he checked out and was on his way early that morning. I guess I should add this to the “Things I don’t get” thread!

The company able to implement solar charging capabilities to each vehicle is going to make a killing.
The math and physics really don’t work out for solar charging. At least not onboard solar. Just not enough surface area to generate enough watts to charge in any reasonable timeframe. Also, take into account that cars are idled at night more than in the day and it compounds the problem.

Rivian is going to be where it's at. Now, if they're just go public so I could buy a small fortune in stock.
Agree! I think they’ll have to go public in order to raise enough capital to ramp up production (hopefully!) next year. They got half a billion $ investment from both Ford and Amazon about 2 years ago, but that will mostly be used up getting to final design and manufacturing prep. They’ll need lots more cash to make the leap to production.

In 5 yrs. owning a Tesla, I’ve never had to wait for a supercharger stall. I think CA is mainly where they are seeing some lines at the chargers, but I really have no reason to be driving there so it’s not a problem for me. The only issue I had was that I was driving across the country one time and somewhere in the middle of Kansas stopped at a supercharger in the middle of the night. This one was located in a hotel parking lot, as many of them are. Some idiot with a pickup and 24’ trailer decided to park his rig across all 8 charging spots. I took a nap for a couple of hours, and luckily he checked out and was on his way early that morning. I guess I should add this to the “Things I don’t get” thread!

What is the longest drive you’ve made in a day? How bad has cold weather hurt your range?

If it's a pick-up shouldn't it be made to use as a pick-up? How long would that charge last if you hook up to an 8-10K lb trailer?
Personally I like to use my truck like a truck.
I think they are being made for people who have $$ to blow on useless crap so they can say "look at me, I've got an electric truck". Just like idiots who pay $100k+ to drive round in a Tesla.

I don't have anything against them, and I can see legitimate uses for them. I'm just not a fan how many people advertise these vehicles are "saving the planet."

Planning your recharge route is obviously needed on longer trips and is doable as you point out. But for me all it takes is one power outage or "out of service" sign and then you're in a pickle.

@mtmuley I can see you pulling your custom razor down the road with that etruck complete with your ebike in the back. Wearing a Joker facemask.....
20200527_133247.jpg

If it's a pick-up shouldn't it be made to use as a pick-up? How long would that charge last if you hook up to an 8-10K lb trailer?
Personally I like to use my truck like a truck.
There are a variety of pickups to meet individual applications. I could care less if my current truck will pull a 8-10k lb trailer. It doesn't even register on my GAF meter. Prior to that, I did care. I had a 2500 diesel with a manual transmission and exhaust brake because that's how I used it. It's silly to think every pickup has to meet that benchmark.

I tend to be wary of overly computerized vehicles... but I can't say the fact 80% or more of basic maintenance is eliminated with e-vehicles hasn't piqued my interest.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back