Pickup of the Future?

They dont currently work best for me but EVs would work for 90% or more of suburbanites in my neighborhood and all the other ones as well. I agree charging time is important. But just like with gas vehicles you dont have to fill up to get home. gas vehicles will be around for a long time and EVs will keep improving and be more palitable for more and more. They might even get more affordable as technology and software advance. Last I checked I paid a dang bit more for the last truck I bought than the one before. I realize my needs aren't the same as the majority either is the size of my checkbook or my willingness to pay for new technolgy. But that doesnt mean it aint coming.

I think having a standardized interchangeable battery system will be paramount to charging stations. People driving long distances aren’t going to want to stop and wait for a charge, but if they can develop and market a battery that is easily removed and replaced with a fully charged one then I think the electric industry could take off.

I always find it interesting electric vehicles are touted as great for the environment, but if they are using electricity from a coal fired energy plant what is the real net carbon savings, if any? Sure they might not put pollution directly into the air but the source of electricity never gets mentioned in this discussion.

Price point seems fair to me, especially with the tax credit.
Plus the fact that these batteries are super destructive to the environment when they end up in the landfills

Some interesting FUD on Lordstown. Hard to know if it’s real or if it’s just the short sellers trying to hype it to drive down the stock price.

I hope they succeed. I grew up just south of there and they could really use a boost in jobs and industry in that area.

Ford revealed it’s all electric pickup tonight, the F-150 Lightning.

$100 to reserve one, so I did even though I already have reservations for Rivian and Tesla CyberTruck. Rivian is supposed to start delivering next month, and I should get mine in Sep/Oct, but I reserved the F-150 just in case that doesn’t work out. Deposit is fully refundable at any time. I have no intention of buying a CyberTruck unless it looks like I can flip it for a profit.

I’m impressed with the starting price of $40k, but the Rivian still beats it on performance and features, so I will likely stay with that unless something goes bad with them.

A few highlights from the reveal:
  • All models will be all wheel drive. Likely computer controlled. They did not say how many motors, but I assume 2.
  • 10,000# towing capacity
  • 600+HP, 770ft-lbs of torque - the most powerful F-150 ever
  • 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds
  • Hands free driving
  • 300 mile max range
  • Truck can essential be a generator. Can power your house for 3 days from the battery via V2H connectivity and also has 9.6kW of power output and numerous outlets on the truck itself to power tools and accessories. They didn’t say whether it has 240v output/outlets, but if they do, 9.6KW could power a 40amp 240v circuit.
  • Frunk provides 400l of storage where the engine usually is
  • Starting price $40k1621477298878.png

I'll have to ask my kid how close they are to getting the line going. They were working lots of overtime lately.

I’ll add that I felt the reveal rig looked more like an onroad mall-crawler than an offroad (ie, Raptor) rig. They did mention multiple “modes”, one of which was “offroad”, but it wasn’t clear whether that was just a suspension setting or what. Some pics I saw of the chassis and battery “skateboard” looked like it had some kind of air suspension. Those typically allow you to set both stiffness and ride height. Hopefully they will have some different wheel a d tire options, since it looks like the reveal rig is sitting on 22” 50 series AS tires which aren’t well suited for offroad use.

I have not been sold over the last few years on electric cars. I am warming up the idea.

This F150 does look nice, but not something I would offroad.

I do have the ability to add needed power for a home charger for an electric vehicle.

I am more on board than I have ever been with the idea.

The advances are amazing.

I have even gotten rid of gas/propane lanterns for camping and use a lithium battery pack and a $10 impact resistant light bulb.

Dumb. There to meet fuel standards. If I drive by someone out of gas I will go get them gas or pick them. You truck dies because your an idiot, well your an idiot, and I am not stopping. Anyone doing two seconds of research will realize the real impacts on the resources and environment of electric cars.

Dumb. There to meet fuel standards. If I drive by someone out of gas I will go get them gas or pick them. You truck dies because your an idiot, well your an idiot, and I am not stopping. Anyone doing two seconds of research will realize the real impacts on the resources and environment of electric cars.
Extend that research to 10 minutes, or open your mind, and you might come to a different conclusion.

I’ve done 6 roundtrips between the east coast and Rocky Mountain West in my Tesla. So long road trips (at least in a Tesla) are not a problem. The non-Tesla networks still have some gaps to fill - mostly in WY, MT and the Dakotas, but that’s quickly getting built out as well.

I do like the idea of hitching a ride on a train though!
So I dont know much about these electric vehicles, but I can drive across country to PA and stop for gas every 400ish miles and be back on the road in 5 minutes. Doesn't it take like 5 to 12 hrs to charge a tesla depending on the model? To me thats a problem. Thats adding 40hrs to my drive give or take a few. Am I wrong on that?

I want to see the total report on the emissions created to produce these vehicles.

Just because it uses "GREEN ENERGY" doesn't mean they should not have their feet held to the fire for the batteries and toxic waste from said batteries for the next eon...

Whats really funny to me is that they try to push them as clean energy but they still require 100% fossil fuels to produce and maintain...lol

I'm starting to think I could like an electric car/truck. It would cover my needs 90+% of the time. If going on a long trip, I'd just rent and still probably be money ahead. Heck, I've rented a vehichle for the last two out of state trips I took anyway. Both times I ended up in a full size SUV for $35/day. The gas savings over my current truck made it a wash for me money wise.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back