Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pickup of the Future?

I’ll be honest, I like the looks of that SUV. I’ve got a creedmoor and a couple puffy jackets too. Might need to start flattening my hay bills...
As long as you don't start coming to CO to shed hunt were cool... just saying

Here’s what happens when a 150kWh battery in an EV truck catches fire...

Lordstown Motors is a new entrant into the EV and auto market, and some would say they’ve rushed things to catch up with others who are well ahead of them. This was their first “road testing” truck.

1613057182690.png

New vid of the Rivian R1T doing some rock crawling. Nice to see how the 4 independent motors transfer power to wheels with traction. Hopefully they have a software controlled “diff locker” mode as well. Can’t be mechanical since there is no differential gear when each wheel has its own motor with direct output shaft to the wheel.

Last edited:
So what if: there was a way to get your electric car piggy back onto a train? Like a over-land ferry for long trips that your battery could not sustain. I’ve always thought the biggest problem for electric vehicles would be a long road trip, they just wouldn’t do them.

So what if: there was a way to get your electric car piggy back onto a train? Like a over-land ferry for long trips that your battery could not sustain. I’ve always thought the biggest problem for electric vehicles would be a long road trip, they just wouldn’t do them.
I’ve done 6 roundtrips between the east coast and Rocky Mountain West in my Tesla. So long road trips (at least in a Tesla) are not a problem. The non-Tesla networks still have some gaps to fill - mostly in WY, MT and the Dakotas, but that’s quickly getting built out as well.

I do like the idea of hitching a ride on a train though!

New Rivian teaser video. Yeah, they are obviously still marketing to the yuppie crowd, but at 800HP, 860 ft-lbs of torque and fully independent motors at each wheel, I’m still inclined to believe that this thing will be seriously off-road capable. Less than 100 days before deliveries are slated to begin!

I’d feel like I was in the movie Avatar if I was driving that thing.

I think having a standardized interchangeable battery system will be paramount to charging stations. People driving long distances aren’t going to want to stop and wait for a charge, but if they can develop and market a battery that is easily removed and replaced with a fully charged one then I think the electric industry could take off.

I always find it interesting electric vehicles are touted as great for the environment, but if they are using electricity from a coal fired energy plant what is the real net carbon savings, if any? Sure they might not put pollution directly into the air but the source of electricity never gets mentioned in this discussion.

Price point seems fair to me, especially with the tax credit.
Yes you are correct depends where electric comes from as to how much, If any, carbon reduction there is over petrol.

luckily we don’t have tonspeculate but have the data! https://www.carboncounter.com/#!/explore?cars=36781

The tool incorporates all the relevant factors: the emissions involved in manufacturing the cars and in producing gasoline and diesel fuel, how much gasoline conventional cars burn, and where the electricity to charge electric vehicles comes from.

From article:
An all-electric Chevrolet Bolt, for instance, can be expected to produce 189 grams of carbon dioxide for every mile driven over its lifetime, on average. By contrast, a new gasoline-fueled Toyota Camry is estimated to produce 385 grams of carbon dioxide per mile. A new Ford F-150 pickup truck, which is even less fuel-efficient, produces 636 grams of carbon dioxide per mile

Back