Pickup of the Future?

I am partial to my gasoline powered Fords for you Ford jokers LOL. I will not go to electric cars in my lifetime unless I see power stations located at more than inner city areas AND the cost comes WAY DOWN. Another problem with electric cars is you better have patience because it takes a while to charge them back up, least right now.
WY is a big black hole right now for charging capacity. Tesla has done a good job with supercharges along I-80, but other commercial charging providers have not made those investments yet. It's actually something that I've got some concerns with since I spend a lot of time in WY. The good news is that you can charge most EV's using the standard NEMA plugs at RV parks, and many of them will let you charge for a small fee. It's not superfast, but it does provide options.

The below map show chargers in the NW part of the country. I've excluded Tesla chargers since it would overwhelm the map. Green are level 1 or 2 chargers (charge at about 19 miles of charge per hour) and the orange are level 3 high speed chargers (up to 400 miles of charge per hour). Stations are being added all the time, and as more and more EV's hit the road, the pace will only accelerate.

1605563208138.png

I'll never push an EV on anyone who doesn't want one. It's definitely personal choice, and I've seen just as vigorous debates over Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge as I have with ICE vs. EV. It's whatever suits your needs and preferences. I think there's a lot of misinformation out there on EV's (both positive and negative), so I just provide my personal experience having owned one for 5+ years.

WY is a big black hole right now for charging capacity. Tesla has done a good job with supercharges along I-80, but other commercial charging providers have not made those investments yet. It's actually something that I've got some concerns with since I spend a lot of time in WY. The good news is that you can charge most EV's using the standard NEMA plugs at RV parks, and many of them will let you charge for a small fee. It's not superfast, but it does provide options.

The below map show chargers in the NW part of the country. I've excluded Tesla chargers since it would overwhelm the map. Green are level 1 or 2 chargers (charge at about 19 miles of charge per hour) and the orange are level 3 high speed chargers (up to 400 miles of charge per hour). Stations are being added all the time, and as more and more EV's hit the road, the pace will only accelerate.

View attachment 162306

I'll never push an EV on anyone who doesn't want one. It's definitely personal choice, and I've seen just as vigorous debates over Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge as I have with ICE vs. EV. It's whatever suits your needs and preferences. I think there's a lot of misinformation out there on EV's (both positive and negative), so I just provide my personal experience having owned one for 5+ years.
Do you think I can make some $$$ by putting a charging station in north-central Nebraska??? ;);)

View attachment 162306

They are eventually going to be the future vehicle and should be. But until the technology is developed where charging is fast you will not see me investing in it. You also have limited range and when you go fishing in places like I do in the middle of nowhere, electric vehicles are just not an option. For now it's too soon and I don't think I will see them developed to the extent I would be comfortable in them. Nor am I willing to pay the price they want for them right now. But still, they will be a staple of the economy in the future.

I would feel better if they had interchangeable fuel cells you can just buy at most gas stations and exchange your old one to be charged up. I am not against electric cars, I just think they need much more development and price needs to drop before they start becoming widespread.

I was at a National Governor's Association event several years ago where Elon Musk was a keynote speaker. One of the Governor's asked him if he thought ICE vehicles would still be around in 20 years. His was response was "Yes, they will still be around. People still have horses. They just aren't considered to be a primary source of transportation anymore." He got a big laugh from the crowd with that response.

How long does it take you to re fuel the tundra? How long to charge the battery?
I have no idea how long it takes to charge them. If they are going to be feasible for hunting/rural use then it will be necessary to have the ability to carry an extra battery, just like I carry extra jugs of gas.

Then again, maybe they don’t care about that small niche in the vehicle market and it won’t ever be addressed.

Not sure why folks get so spun up in 400 miles of range. My Tundra gets 10-12 mpg in the two tracks. On a 26 gallon tank, well you do the math.

Just as certain conditions diminish your milage,, there are conditions that will drop the range of an electric vehicle.

I suspect cold temperatures and deep snow will drain their range noticeably.

That said, I certainly see a solid niche for electric vehicles.

I have no idea how long it takes to charge them. If they are going to be feasible for hunting/rural use then it will be necessary to have the ability to carry an extra battery, just like I carry extra jugs of gas.

Then again, maybe they don’t care about that small niche in the vehicle market and it won’t ever be addressed.
Rivian plans to build out their own charging network in more off-the-beaten-path types places. That doesn’t mean they’ll put them in the middle of designated Wilderness areas*, but rather they won’t be focused on the traditional interstate and urban centers. Unlike Tesla whose network is designed to satisfy most all of it’s owner’s charging needs, Rivian is taking more of an augmentation approach and only putting charges where other commercial providers have not, but Rivian drivers would want to go.

*I’m just joking - calm down! 🤣

On my trip last week, over 1600 miles I stopped at gas stations 9 times. Trip average of 14.3 mpg. Driving into a 30-40mph headwind for about 100 miles wasn’t helpful 🤪
Similar to my trip to South Dakota, 1,300 miles and a lot of fill ups, lost track of em all. I only got about 12 mpg - I kinda have a lead foot problem.
But man this truck is dependable, never in the shop.

Not 100% sure if Covid related or not. Kid said she's "on call" and expected to answer, show up, build what she needs to, and get out. Parts issue? I'll find out more later I hope.

I was shocked when I looked in Wyoming for CNG filling stations. I almost bought a GX honda for running around town when I lived in Oklahoma as the CNG was less than $ a gallon and there were lots of businesses, even OSU, who used it for fleets.

8th in NG production, nowhere to use it for vehicle fuel.

As far as the pickup of the future here in the USA I'd be happy with some of the little diesel pickups they have in third world countries. A little diesel with 4 wheel drive that got 30 mpg would be perfect for what most people do with trucks.

But it would not be nearly as intimidating as rolling coal in town with an empty 3/4 ton diesel compensator with lots of stickers.

Back