Caribou Gear

Pennsylvania Semi- Auto

MJE2083

Happy to report that Pennsylvania may be moving into the 21st century by finally allowing semi-auto rifles to be used for hunting. Also keep in mind that prior to the game commission granting preliminary approval, congress had to act to lift the legal ban on these firearms. Seems to be the next hot button issue will be persuading the congress to lift the ban on Sunday hunting.

http://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Game-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=100

I killed my first 2 pronghorn with an AR in 6.8mm. At that time it was the only Centerfire rifle I owned. It's an accurate rifle and an adequate round for an ethical kill. So, why not?

Looks like it would also apply to hunting small game, making semi-auto shotguns, .22 or smaller caliber rifles, and air guns legal for that. Seems like a big deal, congrats to you PA guys.

At that time it was the only Centerfire rifle I owned.
Again, why?
As a thirty year military guy and having fired many semi-autos and full autos, pistols, rifles, and machine guns, I do appreciate the firepower and, as in the case of your AR, the accuracy and adequacy of the round. For some reason I just can't understand the fascination with the AR military style of weapon for hunting. Returning from VietNam the first thing I purchased was a bolt action Remington 700, with which I still hunt.

Marksjeep, your reply was honest and understood. Seems maybe I have a bias since the AR has created such negativity towards firearms by the general public. When seeing some of the hype about the AR's it always comes to mind that the desire to shoot one should motivate a young person to sign up and serve ... especially since then the firearm and ammunition is fully provided. Not meaning to start a contentious debate about firearms, that just is one narrow minded guy's perspective about the AR.

Remington auto loaders are popular in New England with whitetail hunters.

Maybe a better question is why were they not legal for hunting in the first place? I personally have no need or desire for to use a semi-auto for big game 'cuz it only takes one shot for me anyways.....;)

SA,

Why was it the only CF rifle I owned at that time? Money. Why did I chose an AR as the only CF rifle I owned at that time? Because I wanted a rifle that was effective in many different roles, the 6.8 fit the bill and the budget. I was not a hunter when I bought the rifle. I was also not young enough to enlist when I bought the rifle, those days had long since passed and Uncle Sam would not have been interested.

I find it interesting that you perceive the AR platform has created negativity towards firearms from the general public. My experience has been the opposite. I work with several folks that are not hunters nor "gun nuts", but they own AR's. For a few of them, it is the only gun they own, and I was genuinely surprised to learn that they owned them.

On the topic of hunting with semi-autos, I guess it matters not (to me) what one chooses to hunt with. So long as the cartridge is adequate for an ethical kill and is legal where one is hunting. The guy who taught me to hunt likes to walk the woods with an M1 Garand every so often in pursuit of elk. Is that a better choice of semi-auto? I think he's nuts, the rifle weighs a ton and he has better tools in his safe. But he enjoys it and that's all that really matters in the end.

No worries on the contentious debate, it's more of a friendly conversation.

Thank you for your time and service to the nation.

...it's more of a friendly conversation.
Yes, it is and thank-you for the response. I get it, and do realize that many folks really enjoy shooting the AR recreationally even if they don't hunt. I had not considered the "budget" factor of the equation, but that does make sense. My worry, the "general public" to which I refer are all those folks, actually the majority of population, who are not too interested in firearms or guns rights, but get concerned when they see the news surrounding the misuse of firearms, the AR in particular. (For whatever reason, semi-auto pistols don't seem to elicit the same angst.)

My uncle, a WWII vet, also hunted with a heavy, open-sighted M1. He thought my scoped Remington 700 was nice, but he loved his M1.

Looks like it would also apply to hunting small game, making semi-auto shotguns, .22 or smaller caliber rifles, and air guns legal for that. Seems like a big deal, congrats to you PA guys.

I'm pretty sure that PA allows semi-auto shotguns, but not center-fire rifles. That makes the rifle ban even more disturbing. And no Sunday hunting? What about the guys with jobs that only have the weekend off to hunt? Really behind the times regulations IMO.

Serious question-why would someone choose a semi-automatic for big game?

I can't tell you why someone chooses to hunt with a particular weapon. What I do think is that people should be allowed to choose a semi-automatic weapon if they want to and not have it prohibited by state law. I personally am not going to go rushing out to buy one for big game, but I am happy that I may be able to use my 10/22 to hurt squirrels and my AR-15 to hunt coyotes and groudhogs.

I'm pretty sure that PA allows semi-auto shotguns, but not center-fire rifles. That makes the rifle ban even more disturbing. And no Sunday hunting? What about the guys with jobs that only have the weekend off to hunt? Really behind the times regulations IMO.

Yes semi-auto shotguns were allowed previously for small game/waterfowl(3 shot limit) and semi-auto shotguns were also allowed for deer hunting in special regs areas that did not allow rifles(near Pittsburgh and Philly). no semi auto centerfire or semi auto rimfire guns were allowed for any hunting season. A strange point that I often thought about was that you were allowed to use a double action revolver to hunt but not a semi automatic rifle or pistol. Semi-pistols still will not be legal under this new rule (and that's ok with me)

And yes we are not allowed to hunt on Sunday (except I think for coyote and crows). There really seems to be a lot of momentum to change that law currently but I guess we will have to wait and see. It's my understanding that some farmers groups, religious groups, and some other sports groups(mountain bikers, hikers, etc...) are opposed to the ban being lifted. I'm somewhat split on the issue myself. I love to hunt but I can see how people don't want it to change.

Last edited:

You're correct, PA has allowed semi-auto shotguns. At least since I started hunting years ago. They do have some odd blue light laws in PA that have out-lived whatever reason they were originally implemented. I remember the first time I went hunting on a Sunday after moving out of PA, it was a fine day.

Again, why?
As a thirty year military guy and having fired many semi-autos and full autos, pistols, rifles, and machine guns, I do appreciate the firepower and, as in the case of your AR, the accuracy and adequacy of the round. For some reason I just can't understand the fascination with the AR military style of weapon for hunting. Returning from VietNam the first thing I purchased was a bolt action Remington 700, with which I still hunt.

Marksjeep, your reply was honest and understood. Seems maybe I have a bias since the AR has created such negativity towards firearms by the general public. When seeing some of the hype about the AR's it always comes to mind that the desire to shoot one should motivate a young person to sign up and serve ... especially since then the firearm and ammunition is fully provided. Not meaning to start a contentious debate about firearms, that just is one narrow minded guy's perspective about the AR.

It's about more than just the AR Straight Arrow. Browning BAR, Ruger 10/22(probably the most popular 22 on the planet), Mini-14, M1 Garand, Remington 750, etc... I understand where you're coming from and a lot of people here in PA have expressed the same concerns. Like you said I think it has a lot to do with stigma surrounding the AR-15. I can understand if you don't like something, but is there really a reason that it needs to be banned? I should point out that the #1 opposition point here in PA is safety. People are worried about spray and pray, reckless style shooting. To their credit the game commission collected data and studies from other states and has found no reason to believe they will cause a safety risk.

I think the fact that semiauto rifles aren't the best tool for the job is as much argument for them being legal given how common they are and potentially open the sport to new hunters who already have them.

Serious question-why would someone choose a semi-automatic for big game?

Probably the most popular rifle for deer hunting in Minnesota is the Remington 742 Woodsmaster 30-06. Not far behind is the Remington 7600 pump 30-06. I have no idea why, other than deer drives are popular and guys enjoy blasting away at running deer until their magazine is empty. I like hunting with my bolt action.

I really like my 300wsm in a bolt action, I also like my 7600 30-06 for driving deer. If this passes I'm sure I will like the Remington woodsmaster for driving deer also. Maybe an AR platform rifle too. Why ? well why not ? I hunt in NY and they allow semi autos but I do not see everyone walking around with an AK. most use a bolt or pump.

Goat

For those outside of the keystone state it is a very odd place, law-wise... and I can guarantee you there are MANY people very upset about this change, and if the move to Sunday hunting is done you aint seen nothing yet!! Many won't hunt on Sunday even when they leave the state to where it's legal. Blue laws abound there in many aspects of life, with the more "modern" secular young bucks pushing hard for change and the old class of "quaker" dying off. Their "big club" was ownership of the land and the valid threat of posting against all hunting if riled up.

Of course if you ever followed a bucks progress down a ridge on a '70's opening morning when the ridge was occupied by half a dozen Amish with 760's. You would have thought full auto's were allowed!

Always pissed me off I couldn't hunt bunnies in front of beagles with a Ruger MK II. No finer sport on earth. While an 1100 12 ga was just fine...

Lots of contradictions in those states where nobody leaves home and traditions are more important than actual laws. I've seen it down south too with dogs/deer, "grandpap did it" the hell with them yankee laws...

It will be interesting to see the fight over Sunday hunting, my guess is it will be about 10-15 more years for the old guys to die off enough to let it go through.

There will be a lot of happy city folks when it passes, but they may have little ground besides state game lands to hunt on, at least for awhile. The only thing constant is change, I saw rubber tires on a buggy awhile ago...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back