Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Access to public land lost due to hunters using semi-auto rifles

A jackass with a muzzle loader can do more damage than a responsible hunter with a semi-auto weapon.
Maybe so, but a Jackass with a muzzleloader would likely only get one shot at a group of deer before they are out of sight. There is also a good chance someone with a muzzleloader would take very careful aim knowing they likely only have one chance.
I think it best too for a landowner to only allow hunting with permission only. That reduces the potential hunters. Many states require it whether the landowner requires it or not.

Do firearms have “Karma”

When I first began going into gun stores the only semi-autos were M1 Garand 30-06’s and M1 Carbines. Just picking one up felt right. It was like a sense of pride and goodness was in my hands.

The various M1 Carbine knock-offs had no such magic. They were never held by heroes.

The Ruger Mini hit the scene in 1973. Looked like an M 14 that never grew up. Until later, history jumped right over the M-14. Somewhere back in time I had a Springfield National Match M1-A

My Remington 722 in .257 Roberts was way more accurate. I sold the M1 A without regret.

It seemed like a long time before Colt AR’s were on the gun racks. Most of the ones used in Vietnam, M-16’s were selective fire, Colt held the patent until 1977 and was pretty busy filling military contracts. After the patent expired tons of Colt knock offs came, but none ever felt to me the way the Garand and M1 Carbine felt or even a genuine Colt AR15. Only Colts are Colts. A Colt SAA feels way better than knock offs.

The AR 15 knock offs felt confusing to me. Never used by our troops, Mixed Karma.

Going into the late 1980’s the merchandise in the gun stores changed forever. FN-Fal’s in 308, Uzi’s, Mac10 semi auto pistols and the dragon of all, the 12 gauge “Street Sweeper”. Then the final firearm Karma crash came when the AK-47’s and SKS's were being imported here en mass from former Soviet block countries. The customers in gun stores changed too,,,far less hunters'/sport shooters and more fellows who looked like gang-bangers and bikers.

It got so that gangs in the big cities where armed better than the cops with their model 15 S and W six s guns and pump shotguns, Cops were afraid to go into the projects, for good reasons.

During that period I was spending a lot if time vising a dear friend who was a World War two vet.

He was given the last name “Foster” because he was a product of foster care and an orphanage. Nobody ever knew his real name or date of birth. He was offered several versions about why, but they came from different people at the orphanage, told to him as he got older. The most consistent story is that right at the beginning of the Great Depression, he was just dropped him off at dawn one day and whoever did that drove away.

They figured he was maybe around four years old then but nobody knew for sure. He was quiet, hardly spoke and when asked his name he just mumbled something unrecognizable.

About 14 years later when he volunteered to enlist in WW2, the local Army recruiter could not take him with out a birth certificate. When he came back a year later determined to serve, he was accepted. It was getting closer to the end and he was stationed at an Army Air base in Iceland. Iceland is green, Greenland is icy.

There was so little military housing that many GI’s stayed with local families. He just adored the family he was with, real family, two kids, no orphans. His eyes got misty saying that. On his limited free time he went hunting for Caribou and ocean fishing with his new family. He never wanted to leave them.

One night going to sleep, the daughter who was his age smiled and gestured for him to join her. He did. First time for both. Her parents could tell what happened and the next morning were even more kind and friendly to him. They were sharing their daughters joy. Finally he had a complete family.

One morning he had this irritated feeling “down below” He went to get it checked out by the nurse and he had a critical infection,,,,athletes foot. He was doing a lot of showering at the barracks. He was on a plane home in a few days. In a place as cold, dark and damp as Iceland. athletes foot was a serous issue.

He barely has a chance to say goodbye to his new family. They all cried and hugged him.

He was about 65 when I met him, Our period of friendship was from the mid 1980’s to the early 1990’s when he died of cancer. He had some acreage in a lovely remote canyon miles from the big city. Deer were everywhere and he let me access otherwise locked National Forest, with some strict rules.

He had neighbors around and mostly they got along except for one constant issue. A couple weekends most every month one neighbor had friends and family came up from the city and spent a couple days hammering away with various semiautomatic firearms.

My friend liked firearms, he would shoot now and then at his house but mostly at the local designated shooting area in National Forest.

One day we were talking about all the firearms issue I described above plus the beginning of school shootings and he said: “ Our country is in big trouble.”

So, do firearms have Karma attached to them?

Before the assault rifle ban in 1994, I bought a Colt AR-15 Z. Colt only made 150 of these. Target sights, heavy bullet twist and factory Teflon camo finish with a “Z” on the front of the magazine well.

Other than 12 shots to sight it in, it is NIB. I keep it in my “war chest” untouched for near 40 years with tons of ammo and genuine Colt mags. Next to it is Series 70 .45 ACP Colt Commander, also with tons of ammo and Colt magazines.

Colt is Colt. And firearms do have Karma. These two firearms are one purpose only and sadly AR 15’s are now the rifle of choice for murdering innocent people and school children.

Some Native Americans made two different types of arrow heads. One style for war and one for hunting. Two totally different Karmic journeys.

template-you-got-me-monologuing-1615-0c6db91aec9c.jpeg

I've mentioned here before that I grew up around a crowd that was "liberal" with their interpretation of game and trespass laws. At fourteen I once saw 23 rounds expended at a muley doe that jumped up at 50 yards and topped the ridge at 400. No blood, no hair. For the record - 742 Remingtons

Were we jerks or just 14 year olds? Probably both. Men are like dogs, the more in the pack, the worse they behave. As my dad used to say, "One boy is a boy, two boys is half a boy, three boys is no boy at all."

The adult we were with proved himself to be a colossal jerk as time marched on. Relative to the secondary thread topic, he was famous for getting Dr Pepper and yogurt on road trip stops and the rest of us would be hanging out the windows while he smiled and drove the truck.

Last edited:
I listened to a guy unload a volley of 10 shots at anwhitetail buck 25 or so years ago. Talked to him a half hour or so after the shooting. He was packing a ruger m77 mark2. Darn gun scared me something fierce

I put five rounds in a whitetail a few years later with a Remington 700 fast enough that my dad who was a couple hundred yards away questioned whether it was me or someone we didn’t know about with an evil semi auto

I listened to a guy unload a volley of 10 shots at anwhitetail buck 25 or so years ago. Talked to him a half hour or so after the shooting. He was packing a ruger m77 mark2. Darn gun scared me something fierce

I put five rounds in a whitetail a few years later with a Remington 700 fast enough that my dad who was a couple hundred yards away questioned whether it was me or someone we didn’t know about with an evil semi auto
We've known each other that long? :ROFLMAO:

I used to hunt with a guy who could fire three shotgun blasts or five Browning semi-auto 06 rounds before I could even get close to setting up to shoot. 'Don't hunt with him anymore!

To a whitetail it is!😳
No but then they don't seem to be made to replicate a military rifle either. AR type rifles don't bother me I simply think they are butt ugly as can be! To someone that doesn't know any better they look like full auto military rifles. To someone that may know better but simply doesn't like guns they are a good excuse to get the unknowning scared.

My attitude is similar to your mother-in-law. I have hunted, shot, owned firearms my whole life. Over thirty years wearing the US Army uniform, two tours Vietnam, having fired everything military from the 38 cal pistol to the main gun on the M1 Abrams tank, I appreciate the appropriate usefulness of auto and semi-auto weapons. However, as of recent times, the "wanna-be-military" appearance and particularly the noise of the "assault" type weapons really piss me off! Hunting in a quiet spot, ready with my bow, hearing the obnoxious noises of the AR's readily "trips my trigger" of intolerance at some a$$hats not respectful of others or of the out-of-doors.
In the afore described scenario, the sad reality is that the property owner is the one with the discretion with regard to access through the private property. "Love" your M4, call the attitude "illogical nonsense" or however you wish to see it ... but the closure of the once public access is the reality ... the fact, Jack!
(Yeh, I pulled the Veteran card ... but hey, I earned it! So put that in your high capacity magazine and try to shoot the $hit out of that.)
I think your of base just a bit. An AR type rifle firing one shot sounds about like a bolt action in the same cartridge firing the one shot. Where the sound come's in is they guy's that simply need to see how fast they can fire off a number of shot's! It's the speed of the shooting I'd think that get's to you and from for what it's worth, all AR shooter's I doubt do that! Just like everything else it's the noisy minority that get's the notice reguardless what the rest do!

An AR type rifle firing one shot sounds about like a bolt action in the same cartridge firing the one shot.
Why you feel compelled to explain that to me is silly. You are a bit off base.

But thank-you for pointing out there are many respectful AR gun owners. But you must admit, the a$$hats cover more ground, are much more obnoxiously loud, irritate more folks in the forest, and create the negativity toward that firearm. The responsible AR owners just simply suffer from the growing stereotype of the "bad a$$, wannabe military, AR toting" gun owner. Additionally, there is the increasing perception of the mass shootings being directly related to AR ownership. That's the reality.

Back