Pan Seared Venison Medallions with Dijon Cream Sauce

Dana

This was tonight's dinner for the wife and I. Note: this is not as difficult to make as it might appear. Here goes:

4 Venison Loin Steaks
Course Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Olive Oil
Green Onions (white ends diced)
1/2C Dry White Wine
2 T Dijon Mustard
1/2 C Chicken Broth
3/4 C Heavy Whipping Cream

Sear steaks in olive oil over medium high heat to rare, no more than medium rare. Remove. Add the green onions, saute 1 minute. Add the wine. Reduce by 1/2. Add chicken broth and mustard. Reduce again. Add cream. Reduce and thicken. Enjoy!

Attachments

• venison dijon cream sauce.jpg
    venison dijon cream sauce.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
Sounds good, now all an idiot like me needs are the preparation and cooking instructions. Might have to thaw out a batch for tomorrow night.

:D @ Big Fin, Oooops! Still learning this posting thing...accidentally sent before I had it finished...

i like my meat dead Dana hahaha thats to rare for my blood. How would i get it a little more medium well? Also wondering if you have a good recipe for a single elk steak?

BigBuckDown92: if you must cook it to med well, I would not use as high of heat and cook it longer. You could certainly use this recipe for your single elk steak. To get to medium well, I would heat at medium until the steak had very little 'give' to it....that should get you to your medium well state.

better watch out trying to get game meat too done cuz it goes from great too shoe leather in about 30 seconds

Dana, as I scrolled down and the wine came into view, then that nice cut of meat, my salivary glands erupted; and then the sprouts showed up! They slammed shut again. Never did develop a fondness for those bitter little buggers, but that's just me. I'll be hijacking your recipe and putting it to good use on some antelope. Thanks and keep them coming!

Looks great, might have to give it a try.
Thanks for sharing it.

Looks good and my wife might actually eat venison that way. I would probably need a little more info on the reducing though!!

Muley1: No real trick to the reduction thing. What you are doing is "reducing" the actual volume of liquid which results in intensified flavor. It basically boils away. For the wine and then the mustard/chicken broth reduction steps, simply maintain the heat at medium high. However once you add the cream, you do not want it to boil, so you will need to lower your heat to med low. This step takes a bit more time obviously, but it is important that the cream does not scortch. Once you have arrived at your desired consistency, you are done.

Muley1: No real trick to the reduction thing. What you are doing is "reducing" the actual volume of liquid which results in intensified flavor. It basically boils away. For the wine and then the mustard/chicken broth reduction steps, simply maintain the heat at medium high. However once you add the cream, you do not want it to boil, so you will need to lower your heat to med low. This step takes a bit more time obviously, but it is important that the cream does not scortch. Once you have arrived at your desired consistency, you are done.
I wanted to quote that last as it sounds very important! :)
WOW! That looks darn GOOD! I am looking forward to trying this!

Thanks for the time and pic! Stuck in a hotel with a BBQ and room kitchenette... Maybe I can convince my wife to ship some elk / deer steaks down to me. Hmmm, I'll have to looking into the shipping aspects of that.

I can see our "Recipes and Wild Game Cooking" sub forum going viral! May have to have a sticky to create a Game Cuisine 101 w/ Dana... Haha! :D I need quick reference, darn it!

Back