I've found several great uses for ground venison.

Seriously? Well cared-for venison doesn’t need its flavor masked. It’s phenomenal table fare, particularly if one is a decent cook.

To each their own I guess. But if you have to beef-fat it up and smother it in sauce to choke it down, why do you even bother hunting?
Well said,, plus bonus points for using "its" and "it's" in consecutive sentences and getting it right both times. The grammar bar has been raised, boys.

Pro tip, plain American cheese is hard to beat.
The correct answer was couple slices of smoked provolone! If you want to go fancy add some shrums and bacon.

We havent purchased burger other than for fat mixture in years, usually elk(use deer/lope etc. for sauage mixes since its less tasty plain). Elk ground 85/15% of 73%lean burger for mix. Turns out perfect and sturdy enough to actually flip or brown up without burning. Now i will add this bison (had to fine grind due to toughness) but has taken the flavor to a new level, wife has already asked me can i shot another in few years...

Seriously? Well cared-for venison doesn’t need its flavor masked. It’s phenomenal table fare, particularly if one is a decent cook.

To each their own I guess. But if you have to beef-fat it up and smother it in sauce to choke it down, why do you even bother hunting?
Any time I hear the word “gamey”:

D1E9FC58-EC73-4701-B199-32D298970B6C.gif

Ground meat is always the lowest priority to me. Whole roasts and stew meat are much more important to what we eat, although I'm sure that will change as the boy gets a little older. That said, hamburger steak is probably my favorite way to use ground meat.

And @Hunting Wife is 100% right. If you have to hide the flavor of venison, just eat beef.

This year I used a butcher who made me a bunch of 1/3-lb patties with bacon ground in with my elk. I’m a fan.

Last edited:
And @Hunting Wife is 100% right. If you have to hide the flavor of venison, just eat beef.

I killed a rutted up muledeer one time that the dog wouldn't eat. I made it into sausage and salami and it was almost palatable and then gave it all away to unspecting distant freinds. Haha It was well cared for just horrible eating, and there was over 100lbs of burger off him. It would drive you out of the house just defrosting it in the microwave.

I put 5-7% suet in my burger. Just enough for me and the family. Moose is almost flavorless without.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back