Yeti GOBOX Collection

I've found several great uses for ground venison.

We don’t buy beef so every meal calling for red meat is usually from deer I’ve killed the season before. We literally live off it.

Aside from the obvious recipes like burgers, spaghetti, and tacos, one of my favorites is smoked stuffed venison burger. Stuffed with sautéed onions/peppers, and cheese.

In addition to all above, moose stuffed bell peppers, Zucchini Boats, and Picadillo go down here a few times a year.

Venison empanadas are a win with ground meat.

I am another sinner who mixes pork (shoulder) in with all my ground meat no matter the species. I might lower the bar with the pork shoulder l, but I'll never dip low enough to pair anything with La croix.

I’ve got a hankering for some Asian food today. I’m not going to make this today, but I have made it in the past and it does not last long as an appetizer or as a main dish with some fried rice and veggies.

And here I never thought of anything to do with ground meat.

I add beef fat or pork fat depending on whatever the butcher has. While different, I can’t say that I have a preference. The majority of meat that we eat is wild, and it really leaves me craving fat after a while despite preferring wild meat to meat from the grocery store. Since I’m sure a lot of you who seem to prefer that you leave your ground meat very lean also eat mostly, or exclusively, wild meat, I do wonder if the fat craving is just me, or if you guys are getting a lot of fat from other portions of your diet that I don’t. In years where I didn’t get the freezer as full and I find myself eating more meat from the grocery store in late summer, I really start craving some venison, but after a few months of eating mostly venison, I start looking for ways to add fat to the lean cuts. I’ve even started leaving most of the fat on the backstraps and rumps. I quite enjoy deer fat AS LONG AS ITS HOT. I find it just as good as beef fat when it’s hot, around around 100 degrees or so it becomes a disaster.

You sure you don’t have a Linder skinning knife?

Last edited:
I actually dont prefer to use my venison burger if it going to get masked by a lot of other stuff. We as a family use it all the time, im sure the winner hands down is for burgers but anything else goes as well. I prefer pork fat but have found that pork fat starts to turn faster in the freezer than beef but thats just my opinion. I have also used bear fat in my venision burger as well which i highly recommend.

And here I never thought of anything to do with ground meat.

I add beef fat or pork fat depending on whatever the butcher has. While different, I can’t say that I have a preference. The majority of meat that we eat is wild, and it really leaves me craving fat after a while despite preferring wild meat to meat from the grocery store. Since I’m sure a lot of you who seem to prefer that you leave your ground meat very lean also eat mostly, or exclusively, wild meat, I do wonder if the fat craving is just me, or if you guys are getting a lot of fat from other portions of your diet that I don’t. In years where I didn’t get the freezer as full and I find myself eating more meat from the grocery store in late summer, I really start craving some venison, but after a few months of eating mostly venison, I start looking for ways to add fat to the lean cuts. I’ve even started leaving most of the fat on the backstraps and rumps. I quite enjoy deer fat AS LONG AS ITS HOT. I find it just as good as beef fat when it’s hot, around around 100 degrees or so it becomes a disaster.

You sure you don’t have a Linder skinning knife?

Nothin beats a fatty beef roast in the crock pot or oven

Beef roast cooked covered slow in the oven till the fat cap melts off in the pan and then uncovered for a crisp to the top…pan gravy made from the dripping and fresh horseradish!

…damn you brockel
That's a hard to beat combo!

Meat loaf on the smoker is yummy. You make the rolls smaller and don't bother with a pan so the smoke gets in, like two-three inches diameter. They look a little, umm, weird..."There's a Baby Ruth in the pool!" but man they're tasty.

For burgers, I've been blending my breakfast sausage with my hamburger 50/50 and it's been a hit with the family.

Elk or deer burger and sausage for all of the above, it doesn't matter. I blend my burger 90/10 with pork fat.

Add to that canned ground venison with taco seasoning. Great for quick camping meal that all you have to do is heat and serve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back