I've found several great uses for ground venison.

I killed a rutted up muledeer one time that the dog wouldn't eat. I made it into sausage and salami and it was almost palatable and then gave it all away to unspecting distant freinds. Haha It was well cared for just horrible eating, and there was over 100lbs of burger off him. It would drive you out of the house just defrosting it in the microwave.

I put 5-7% suet in my burger. Just enough for me and the family. Moose is almost flavorless without.
Nothing worse tasting than a rutted up mule deer. There is no way to disguise that nastyness. 🤮

The correct answer was couple slices of smoked provolone! If you want to go fancy add some shrums and bacon.

We havent purchased burger other than for fat mixture in years, usually elk(use deer/lope etc. for sauage mixes since its less tasty plain). Elk ground 85/15% of 73%lean burger for mix. Turns out perfect and sturdy enough to actually flip or brown up without burning. Now i will add this bison (had to fine grind due to toughness) but has taken the flavor to a new level, wife has already asked me can i shot another in few years...
I would go along with the smoked provolone, but pepper jack is hard to beat on a burger imo.

The only animal I’ve ever shot that was just unfriggin palatable no matter what I did with it was the first bear I ever killed. Took it while deer hunting along a Nor Cal river during the middle of the fall salmon run. Smelled like spawned salmon while I was skinning him and it never got any better once I had the meat in my pack. Was like someone molded meat out of cat food. Did everything from pressure cook, smoke, pepper sticks, you name it and it still tasted like shit.

Took me quite a few years to want to shoot another one, which I have and they’ve been excellent. Not off a salmon stream though 🤢

I killed a rutted up muledeer one time that the dog wouldn't eat. I made it into sausage and salami and it was almost palatable and then gave it all away to unspecting distant freinds. Haha It was well cared for just horrible eating, and there was over 100lbs of burger off him. It would drive you out of the house just defrosting it in the microwave.

I put 5-7% suet in my burger. Just enough for me and the family. Moose is almost flavorless without.
I've killed two peak rut, huge swollen necks, rank piss smell all over. I made sure I skinned the back legs first, then changed blades, finished skinning then changed blades again prior to parting out. No idea if it helped, but my grandfather always swore you never let that blade or you hands touch the insides of those back legs then touch any meat.

The only inedible meat I ever had was when I made the mistake of curing summer sausage in a plastic garbage bag prior to stuffing the casings... a Glade scented garbage bag. Every bite was like a mouth wash of cleaner. What was really interesting was that I was the only one that could taste it, everyone else didn't notice. I gave it all away

I killed a couple late season mule deer that after I shot I could track by smell forget the blood trail....

If @EYJONAS! ’s venison crunch wrap hasn’t been mentioned it’s a sin!

Seriously? Well cared-for venison doesn’t need its flavor masked. It’s phenomenal table fare, particularly if one is a decent cook.

To each their own I guess. But if you have to beef-fat it up and smother it in sauce to choke it down, why do you even bother hunting?
The joy of shooting a beautiful meat animal with a beautiful wood/blue gun in mother nature's beautiful woods. For birds, the warmth of working with a trained bird dog. At age 13, I read my grandfather's 1970's Outdoor Life magazine guns and hunting features including those by Jack O'Connor and I was inspired. I asked my old-fashioned grandfather what he thought about scopes on hunting rifles. He said that was cheating. I asked him what he thought about bow hunting. He said, go on bud, get out of here! He told me that guys back in the day would summarily shoot their own hounds that were bad performers in the field as when following a deer trail when he should be following a lion trail, but I digress. When one hunts dove and manages to bag these devils, the lean breast fillets are going to be stuffed in a jalapeno pepper with Philly and seasoned with a barbecue rub and wrapped with a fatty slice of bacon for the Weber.

Last edited:
The correct answer was couple slices of smoked provolone! If you want to go fancy add some shrums and bacon.

We havent purchased burger other than for fat mixture in years, usually elk(use deer/lope etc. for sauage mixes since its less tasty plain). Elk ground 85/15% of 73%lean burger for mix. Turns out perfect and sturdy enough to actually flip or brown up without burning. Now i will add this bison (had to fine grind due to toughness) but has taken the flavor to a new level, wife has already asked me can i shot another in few years...
Bison? Shuffle off to Bison?

Ground meat is always the lowest priority to me. Whole roasts and stew meat are much more important to what we eat, although I'm sure that will change as the boy gets a little older. That said, hamburger steak is probably my favorite way to use ground meat.

And @Hunting Wife is 100% right. If you have to hide the flavor of venison, just eat beef.
My teeth are bad in older age. I certainly can't chew unground venison.

When one hunts dove and manages to bag these devils, the lean breast fillets are going to be stuffed in a jalapeno pepper with Philly and seasoned with a barbecue rub and wrapped with a fatty slice of bacon for the Weber.
nothing says fine eating wild game like covering in a spicy pepper, cream cheese and bacon

I’ve only shot a couple doves in my life, eating them was enough to tell me I don’t need to shoot many more

Usually just elk these days. Save every steakable,roast,stew piece. Made grind and can add whatever or not.
But I also use a lot of burger,made with bacon or pork belly. 10-15% ,sausage is add another 10% of pork.
Mainly for binder,but flavor too. Bacon on roasts,around steaks. Flavor.
Used to be sirlion fat,but that is iffy these days.

Tillamook. Try a slice inside a burger. Green chile on top.

Never got into those tiny popper things bity burgers?.....finger food for city folk. LOL

Just about any NM style food that uses burger.

Shepards pie,made with lamb mixed in.

Bolinase sauce.

Navajo Tacos

nothing says fine eating wild game like covering in a spicy pepper, cream cheese and bacon

I’ve only shot a couple doves in my life, eating them was enough to tell me I don’t need to shoot many more
You did something wrong or maybe they were on a different diet?

I hate when people turn a dove into poppers. Bone in breast on the grill baste lightly eith BBQ sauce and a little garlic salt. Like candy. Did you soak the doves that you shot?

Back