Yeti GOBOX Collection

I've found several great uses for ground venison.

TomTeriffic

1. spaghetti sauce
2. tacos
3. enchiladas
4. pizza
5. chili
6. meat ravioli
7. stroganoff

Ground venison may have 10% beef tallow added by the processor or you can use about 1.50 ounces of rendered beef tallow (per pound of ground deer) in the skillet when you brown your ground venison. Season and brown in skillet like you would ground beef in your favorite recipes.

My favorite homemade pizza.

12" thin store-bought crust
1/2-pound browned ground venison seasoned with dried onion, garlic salt and black pepper
Contadina pizza sauce
sliced black olives, about 20 olives
small can mushrooms, bits and pieces, drained
small can flat anchovies in oil
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
about a dozen slices Italian dry salami

Preheat oven to 450, middle rack. On greased pizza pan with holes in it, place room-temperature crust. Spead sauce over crust evenly. Arrange anchovies over pizza. Next, salami. Next cheese. Next mushrooms. Next olives. Stir a little pizza sauce into ground beef well and top pizza with it. Bake about 15 minutes until cheese is melted. Slice and serve with a fresh ice cold MGD beer.

Reheat pizza slices on a flat griddle or in a big skillet for about 5 minutes over medium heat covered to get cold soggy crust crisp, stiff, hot and flaky again. Use spatula to check crust bottom periodically. Be careful not to burn crust.

Last edited:
When all you eat is venison, any recipe that calls for ground beef is a ground venison recipe. 🤷🏻‍♀️

No added fat, unless we’re making sausage. The low fat is one of the reasons we eat venison to begin with.
I buy ground beef at 7% fat. Wild venison is at about 2% fat. It's too dry and yucky for me unless some fat is added. I once used lard (pork fat) for gravy and did not like the pork-n-beans taste it imparted to the gravy to be used for fried chicken. I prefer beef fat, rendered tallow in a jar, for gravies and improving the flavor of ground venison. I have to fatten my ground venison up to at least the fat level of lean store-bought ground beef, which is labeled at least 7% fat. That the ground venison is used in seasoned sauces, and such, really masks any hint of gamey flavor.

Pro tip, plain American cheese is hard to beat. Just the right level of melty/oozy. I understand if it’s a little trashy for a refined person
The secret is to couple American cheese with another cheese of better flavor. That way you get the oozy merry goodness of American, but you get the flavor of the quality cheese.

Try making a “hamburger steak”

1/2 lb venison cooked medium. I usually fry in cast iron with Montreal steak seasoning.

Top with :
Large slice of mozzarella cheese
Couple generous spoonfuls mango salsa.
Some crispy fried onions .

Just eat with a fork , along with some salad & a beer. It’s excellent .

I made some Meatball sliders on the Hawaiian rolls for a Christmas party and they didn’t last but a few minutes. Meatloaf is another staple we make with our ground game meat.
Don’t overlook tater tot casserole either!!

In various sauce/gravy-based skillet dishes, the ground venison is well-masked under a bunch of spicy liquids. A pizza is highly spiced and masks venison gaminess well. The spicy salami, tomato sauce and anchovies offset the venison. In stroganoff, the venison is offset by red wine, sour cream, mushrooms and seasonings. I use plain non-fat yogurt instead of sour cream to cut calories.

No fat added to my venison and elk burger.

At the time of frying it a liberal amount of olive oil or vegetable oil provides a nice brown and good mouth feel. The key to keeping ground venison tasting good is to not over fry it. It doesn’t have any fat to render out anyway so just past pink is perfect.

If it tastes strong and is dry that’s the cook’s fault for overcooking it.

I actually prefer the taste of ground venison over beef for cooking. The only exception is a grilled cheeseburger. Nothing beats some good beef grease in your beard when you bite into a thick cheeseburger.🤑

I buy ground beef at 7% fat. Wild venison is at about 2% fat. It's too dry and yucky for me unless some fat is added. I once used lard (pork fat) for gravy and did not like the pork-n-beans taste it imparted to the gravy to be used for fried chicken. I prefer beef fat, rendered tallow in a jar, for gravies and improving the flavor of ground venison. I have to fatten my ground venison up to at least the fat level of lean store-bought ground beef, which is labeled at least 7% fat. That the ground venison is used in seasoned sauces, and such, really masks any hint of gamey flavor.
In various sauce/gravy-based skillet dishes, the ground venison is well-masked under a bunch of spicy liquids. A pizza is highly spiced and masks venison gaminess well. The spicy salami, tomato sauce and anchovies offset the venison. In stroganoff, the venison is offset by red wine, sour cream, mushrooms and seasonings. I use plain non-fat yogurt instead of sour cream to cut calories.

Seriously? Well cared-for venison doesn’t need its flavor masked. It’s phenomenal table fare, particularly if one is a decent cook.

To each their own I guess. But if you have to beef-fat it up and smother it in sauce to choke it down, why do you even bother hunting?

You really shouldn't be having to mask or offset the flavor of venison, so long as it isn't overcooked or spoiled/cleaned improperly.

Back