Seared and Butter Basted Venison Backstrap

CycleFishHunt

I am new to hunting and game cookery, but I wanted to share something I cooked recently that turned out well.

- One day before cooking: Generously salt the meat
- An hour before cooking: Take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp
- Get a cast skillet ripping hot, and add a tablespoon or two of oil with a high smoke point. I used Safflower oil
- Sear it on all sides, until good and brown
- Once the internal temperature approaches 100ºF, turn the heat down to about medium, and throw in a few chunks of butter (I think I used 3-4 Tbs butter to 2 or so lbs of meat. Even more butter definitely would not hurt!)
- Tilt the skillet so the butter pools and start spooning it over the meat
- Keep basting, more or less continuously, until you're within 10º of your desired doneness, and rest the meat. I put it directly onto a serving dish, and poured the contents of the skillet over it
- Some freshly ground pepper, and a light sprinkle of salt is good at this point too
- Once rested for 5 min or so, slice and serve.

Serve with some tasty sides. I did oven roasted potatoes, and sauteed asparagus. I do not drink, but my wife enjoyed it with a malbec.

I overshot the doneness slightly. I was going for medium rare, but hit medium, I think. Despite that it was still tender, and delicious. The whole family enjoyed. I also might slice it a little more thinly in the future than you'll see in the pictures.

I adapted this from the way I sometimes do pork chops. With chops, I'd throw a few sprigs of thyme in with the butter. The venison has a slightly sagey taste to it already so no need for that here.

If anyone gives this a try, I'd love you hear your feedback.

IMG_7531.jpegIMG_7533.jpegIMG_7534.jpeg

This is my favorite way to cook backstrap.

Couple things:

Second the recommendation for UNSALTED butter.
Add whole, smashed garlic cloves and FRESH rosemary sprigs with the butter you are 'basting'. This really gives it that je ne sais quoi.

This is my favorite way to cook backstrap.

Couple things:

Second the recommendation for UNSALTED butter.
Add whole, smashed garlic cloves and FRESH rosemary sprigs with the butter you are 'basting'. This really gives it that je ne sais quoi.
Wait, wait, I didn't think that was transmissionable between deer and people? ;)

Oh yeah, roasted garlic. It is money smashed up in that butter at the end....

Chop the top off a whole head of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, wrap up in tin foil, 400 degrees / 35 min, squeeze the roasted cloves out and smash them up.
I personally prefer un-roasted garlic cloves. I like the way it flavors the butter as it cooks a little better. Just peel a few cloves then smash down on them with a moderate judo chop (not too vigorous lest your primal power pulverize them to pulp).

This was probably my first love in the venison cooking world and probably the way I still cook 75-80% of my backstrap. Thanks!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back