Outfitting on National Forest

bcolglazier03

How do you guys feel about Outfitters guiding on National Forest lands? Just want to see where other DIY'ers stand on this topic.

I'm OK with it. I've heard instances where some outfitters can be too aggressive against people that are not their clients, but I suspect this is not the norm. There are plenty of people that may not want to tackle it DIY, and I see no problem with somebody being able to guide them around on public land. Perhaps some of these people want to go guided once to try and learn some of the ropes and will return for a DIY hunt later. At any rate, it is still bringing business to the local economy.

I don't mind it everyone has to earn a living and if there is a demand why not. I have heard of what Bowhuntrben mentioned were some outfitters feel like they have full control/rights over the public land(which I think some state out west has some quirky law about allowing that actually). One thing that has always agitated me is when you see an outfitter using public land charging insane prices, I can understand it on private land when you have lease to pay for but never understood it when it's public land, but I guess if people are wiling to pay for it why not, I don't have to/won't use them.

The ones I've ran into were far less obtrusive than the wandering pumpkins...myself included.

Some of them are the ones that keep more of the remote FS trails open. Cut them open every year, which benefits everyone. The FS certainly can't keep up any more. They have to compete with all of us, so I don't really care.

We have only run into one that was a bit a jerk about "claiming" the whole mountain. We laughed him off and kept walking.

I agree with most, I really don't think it is that big of a deal BUT there are a few that claim public land as theirs. I guess I do have a problem with the guys that guide on landlocked & checkerboarded public land that the average joe can't access.

I wonder what they pay for the concession fees and where the $$ go? If those dollars go toward the NF upkeep and game access in any manner I am happy for it. I know that where we hunt the outfitters (both fully guided and drop camp guys) go far enough back into the walk/livestock areas that those of us on foot couldn't even hunt that far back and have a reasonable shot at meat care and getting the animals out on our backs only.

Many outfitters on Nat'l forest wildernesso work hand in hand with trail clearing. A win/win for pack trails, etc.
All for it - except the arseholes who feel because they are outfitters they somehow own "their area" thus attitude while scouting/hunting areas they are cleared for outfitting - they may take it where the sun don't shine. I don't think the outfitter's themselves hold this attitude(?) though a guide or two will set the image for the entire outfitter's operation.

No problems what so ever. I haven't run into any outfitters who "claimed" an area. But I would treat there camp just like any other camp, outfitter or DIY, I will be moving to a different area.

I wonder what they pay for the concession fees and where the $$ go? If those dollars go toward the NF upkeep and game access in any manner I am happy for it. I know that where we hunt the outfitters (both fully guided and drop camp guys) go far enough back into the walk/livestock areas that those of us on foot couldn't even hunt that far back and have a reasonable shot at meat care and getting the animals out on our backs only.

Every $ that comes in, USFS gets 3%. They also pay for Special use permits for each campsite they operate. Not sure the amount.

Everyone has to make a living and it brings money into the local economy, which benefits everyone. I echo what everyone else has said here. It's fine!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back