OTC Colorado Elk

...The rifle sounds. And..........I better let Jason tell the rest.
Really? :W: :W: :W: This Moosie & Greenhorn teaser stuff is getting old! Now B Fin?

Haha! :D

Look foward to Jason's content.

Since Jason didn't finish the rest of the story, I will, and in a manner where hopefully the big "little brother" won't put me in the headlock.

We were really tired last night, and it wasn't from packing elk, rather from chasing that bull around in hopes of a second shot.

Given Jason's level of disappointment I am not sure he should be carrying a firearm.

This morning is his chance for redemption. I am sure any bulss today are in big trouble.

...talk about slamming a car door on a woodie.:rolleyes: Dramatic effect is for soaps.;)

Last edited:
Given Jason's level of disappointment I am not sure he should be carrying a firearm.

Ha my little brother took all the knives out of his house this fall after missing a white sheep at 42 yards. :D

There is something about elk that takes normal, good, calm shoots and turns them into uncontrolled quivering fools. Been there, done that;)

I have missed a bull at 15 yrds before.

Well, we are all on our way home, or at home. We saw four bulls the last day, three of which I think were legal branch antlered bulls. The two best were moving through the aspens at about 400 yards. Too far in open ground, let alone in the thick aspens.

Jason and Loren went after them, using the fresh snow to their advantage. The bulls used the steep thick terrain to their advantage. In short order, the bulls gained a few hundred feet of elevation. As the bulls went over the divide and disappeared, so did Jason's hope to fill his elk tag.

It was great fun. We had our chance. Anyone who questions the state of insanity that occurs when a bull is located and we start the fire drill of filming, only needs to ask Jason how big of a goat rodeo it becomes. It goes something like this.

The hunter is trying to get on the bull and do all the things needed to shoot a critter. The camera man is trying to find a filming lane similar to what the shooter has. We then need ten seconds of pre-shot focus and zoom. I am standing there trying to be helpful, but usually just get in the way. The hunter is asking for permission to shoot. The animal is looking at all the commotion and is bewildered, having never seen a circus like this. After all of this, the shooter is told, "Take 'em." And we hope the animal has stayed around, the shooter's nerves are not too frazzled, and the camera records without a glitch.

That is the world of hunting TV as it occurs for OYOA. In addition to all of that, we are hunting pressured animals on public land. Pretty simple, eh.

It was a great hunt and will make a great episode. No doubt I am going back to CO next year. There are so many elk in CO, it boggles the mind. Dinkshooter, KHunter, and Oak all said that if you get off the roads you will get away from hunters and find elk. Absolutely exact advice. Our best spot was 1.2 miles off the road and not too difficult of a climb, by elk terrain standards.

If hunters went and did what we did, without the burden of trying to get everything on camera, they would have many more opportunities than we had. Why everyone doesn't hunt elk in CO each year, is a mystery to me. Yeah, there are lots of hunters, but there is a ton of elk and lots of terrain to chase them.

Next year will be redemption. I promise.

I was sure hoping your next post was going to include photos. Hate to hear you guys did not connect with a shooter. However, I am sure a good time was had by all.

Sounds like a good time. Success is not always wagered on a kill. Camera crew or not. You should make an episode on... behind the scene. :)

I agree with wingman1 OTC Elk in Colorado, whether successful or not is a hunt a LOT of hunters can relate to! Would love to see an episode on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back