Yeti GOBOX Collection

OTC Colorado Elk

Sounds like enough orange to... well heck! Simply too much orange for my blood...

That would be a pic worth some chuckles - the Samari Suzuki unloading orange... :D

More power to you and your crew. Best of success to Jason.

Good luck Randy, and just for the record, a 235" buck was hammered today in Unit 2B where we just left from.................its very apparent that either you or I was really bad luck on that hunt and based on the way both our seasons have gone, i think we know who that was:):) Sorry:)

The Samurai story reminds of a similar one, when hunting in Unit 10, a 'primo' unit in Colo. We drove up a cruddy 2 track and stopped in the road, that only had another 100 yards of driveable access anyway, and short of a saddle so we could crawl up and glass the bowls on the other side.

We are 150 yards from the truck glasssing some cow elk and we start hearing honking. Then more honking.. WTH? I go down there and there is a samurai cram full of orange sitting, engine idling, not 3 feet from my bumper. They were just sitting there honking. 5 of largest and orangest folks you could ever imagine greasing up with crisco to then cram into a samurai were sitting there with weapons and the big guy behind the wheel driving says. "Why you blocking the road, move it". I would tell you there were 3 20-oz sodas, a bag of Fuyons and cheetos, and a box of Nilla wafers and HoHos in view but you would not believe me and think I was piling on...

I mentioned to the largEST the road only goes just up there and the elk are on the other side only to get a "we have a right to drive up here". So I move the truck into the sage and they drive up to the saddle, one guy gets out in time to see the elk taking off into a Nat Monument from huntable public.

Guy gets in, samurai groans, and off they go to there next spot to 'hunt'.

Do not mean to hijack, just brought up a funny memory.

Go get 'em Randy and Jason.

Sorry for no post yesterday. We hiked it to the top, up to the dark timber. As you guys predicted, we did not encounter any other hunters.

We did encounter 8 spikes, 4 cows, and a herd of 5 bulls that we could not identify the size of. The group of five was moving through the aspens and firs, but did not give enough of a shooting or filming opportunity. Wish they had stopped and given us a better look, as I think at least two of them were legal four point or better bulls. It was about 200 yards below where we had glassed the bulls the night before.

We hunted until late light, looking for that one opportunity. Walking out in the dark, we finally found the one ATV guy who just couldn't resist the temptation to ride around the gate. He was headed down the trail as we were coming down. Not sure what it is about guys who see the sign, yet feel compelled to go around it.

This morning we woke to rain here in the valley. It was plenty warm, but the wind was coming hard from the northwest. As we climbed the grade, the rain turned to snow. At the trail head, we were greeted by five inches of snow and small flakes were coming down, just about perfect for hunting.

As we climbed to 10,000', it progressed to a complete whiteout. We got to our spot from yesterday and moved around the ridge to get a better view. That was not necessary, as there was no view, unless you enjoy the view of horizontal snow smacking you in the face.

We sat there for two hours, watching the snow. The snow was getting worse and the wind was getting stronger. Eventually, we realized that this was not conducive to filming or hunting. We decided to head lower and hope that we can find an elk in the oaks.

The weather is supposed to break for a while tomorrow, then get back to snowing. That break should be a good time to be back on top of the ridge in the dark timber. I suspect the elk will be moving when that weather breaks.

This afternoon we will do all we can to find a bull in the oaks. If a mule deer buck shows up, he is in trouble.

Gotta run.

Just off the mountain tonight. Still snowing like crazy up in our first choice location. Traveled west about 15 miles to a different area that had cleared of the snow. Two other groups of hunters and a lot of elk.

We were glassing a group of 14 elk just before dark. Watched a truck drive in below us and start glassing at the elk. The elk were over 1,000 yards from us. With the spotter, I could see the three bulls were not legal, though one was really close - three points.

Seems like it was more than those guys could stand. They stepped out and started firing away. They missed by such far distance, the elk didn't even run off. Finally, they moved a couple hundred yards closer and started shooting some more. The elk looked at each other, then moved a couple hundred yards further up the hill.

Hilarious. We jumped in the truck and drove down to make sure we hadn't missed a roadside ambush. Nope, when we stopped to talk, they were really shooting at those elk we were glassing. The guy sitting in the truck rolled down his window to tell us the guys were shooting at those three bulls. Wow, how interesting that they were shooting at those bulls, given they were all spikes and this is a four-point or better unit.

It was a classic discussion, one that left me laughing, as I knew the three bulls were unharmed. The guys to tell us that these hunters had been here all week and these were the first elk they had seen, so they decided to try take one. They had cow and bull tags, but these guys from XXXXX wanted bulls, so they were trying to get the bulls.

We did hear them fire again as we were standing there talking to the guy driving the rig. I watched the elk stand and really pay no attention.

Following all of that, I decided it was best to leave before my thoughts were converted to words.

Earlier in the afternoon, I made the big mistake of trying to get to some ower BLM ground that was soaked with rain and melted snow. Jason recommended I not try it, but it seemed rockier than the eastern Montana gumbo. Nope. Within short order we were sliding down the slope of the hill toward the ledge. Bad move Randy.

It took over a half hour of backing up to get to a spot where I could turn around. All the while I was hoping I wouldn't slide off the edge. And worse yet was having to admit to Jason that he was right. Nothing worse than having to admit to your younger brother that he was right and you were wrong.

Weather is supposed to get clear and cold for a little spell tonight and tomorrow morning. The hope is we will find some bulls out putting on the feed bag after a long spell of waiting out the storm. Can't imagine how much snow is up at 10,000', considering how much snow was there when we left and the pace at which it was coming down all day.

Hoping tomorrow is the day Jason puts his first elk on the ground. He has worked plenty hard to deserve one, just a matter of whether or not luck shines on him.

If you are high and dark and you are only seeing spikes and rag horns. My father always told me find the deepest canyon you can because the big boys will be down there. When I asked him how deep is deep he said when you get down to the bottom and look up and the first thing that comes to your mind is "God if you let me get out of here alive, I will never do anything so stupid again and I will go to church every day and twice on Sunday". Your deep enough - - Randy, hope you have a horse or mule. Used that strategy on the rim in AZ and it worked well. Hope you guys do good.

As expected, the weather cleared overnight. When we got to the trail head, there was 6" of new snow and the temp was 14F. What more could a guy hope for?

We started up to the dark timber, moving through the aspen/fir mix. It was starting to get light as we crossed the first track. The stride was long, it was a solo elk, and the track was bigger than most we had seen. All a good sign.

As we reached the first saddle, we could see where the elk had crossed the trail again and headed off to our south. This time there looked to be almost no snow in the track.

Jason and I decided we would go to the east, then use the spine of that ridge to take us above the little basin the tracks dropped into. We worked our way up the spine and took a breather under a big fir tree.

I watched as the sun started to illuminate the frozen aspens and the snow stacks on the tops of the fir trees. A more beautiful morning would be hard to find.

Jason and I discussed the options that would take us the same direction as the fresh tracks below. It seemed best to follow our trail from the day before and allow us to look off the ridge to our south.

With that plan, we cinched the packs and headed southeast. I was looking up the ridge when Jason grabbed my shoulder. He claimed to have seen an elk down below where the tracks had headed. I stopped and glassed across in the aspens. Jason redirected my view much closer and just below. The elk looking object had supposedly stepped behind a big fir tree about 175 yards out.

I could see no elk. Jason was now locking and loading, getting the bipod extended. Loren was getting his tripod in position. I still could see nothing but snow and aspens. From my perspective it seemed as though I was watching through a window as Jason and Loren got ready to kill an elk.

Finally a yellow shaded elk stepped from the fir and walked our direction. It was a bull, for sure. The aspens were so thick, no positive ID could be made as to whether or not the bull was legal.

Loren was on the bull, giving us the clearance to shoot when ready. Bad part was that Jason had no shooting lane.

I moved left to look for a better option for Jason. I could now see it was a legal bull, with five points per side. I motioned Jason the ten feet my direction that would give him a much better shot.

As Jason moved, the bull walked further to our right and into a bigger opening. Jason now had a clear broadside shot. The bull's head was behind a tree. He could not see us, though we are now less than 200 yards.

Loren moves behind us and has complete frame of the bull. He tells Jason to shoot. Jason is struggling with the bipod and crest of the ridge. I can tell he is not feeling comfortable with his sitting position. Jason asks Loren if he is still good.

Loren confirms that all is set. Jason clicks the safety forward. The rifle sounds. And..........I better let Jason tell the rest.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back