Old Age hobbies

Bobbydean, sent you a pm with information sir

no harleyyet---HaHa---actually your post made me remember back to a time ( mid 70's ) that my husband and I was in Houston and we went south a bit to a place called Gilly's to ride the mechanical bull and dance. It was the first time I had ever heard of some of the drinks that were ordered --we were laughing out loud the first time this young woman walked up to the bar and yelled at the bartender--"two orgasms please"-----o.k.----and are education didn't stop there--interesting night.

tradewind---your second picture is more what I was hoping for (-: Maybe some of you older fellows can relate to this. I ask her if she thought there was some way have a potty in the seat of the side car so that I didn't have to crawl in and out of it every hour or so (-;

fishing for sanity-----actually a couple in my family have suggested it. It is a good idea and to be honest I wish now I had taken pictures as we moved through life. We of course didn't have the phones that takes pictures and neither of us were picture takers or even carried a camera---but in all honesty , at this point in time I wish I had picture or two of us doing some of the things we did together.

It is a good idea, and it could even be helpful in my painting classes. Take a picture a something and then paint it ( or try to ) when I get back to the apt. Thank you for the suggestion

I would second the rod building idea. Great fun and you can make it as detailed and artistic as you want. Fly tying is also a great hobby and you can take out your latest creation and see if "it will fish".
Both these hobbies will keep the creative mind active and they are tied to the outdoor life which you obviously enjoy. On a more physical side. Don't be afraid to follow your PT's advice and give yoga a try. Flexibility, like strength and endurance will only gets worse if we don't stay active.
I agree, especially the fly tying.
As for moving to Italy, isn't it crazy expensive to live there?
Cheers
Richard

Europe,Parents are still with us.Moms on a walker but still enjoys the chair arobics.
Dad is a go getter,just bought himself a Tesla!He takes my nephews camping(Boy Scouts)
and snow skiing.So mom and i have a great time while he's out galavanting around.:cool:

There is a dearth of women who are active in hunting conservation advocacy. It's not physically taxing & keeps your brain moving on complex & difficult issues. Pick your group & get after it. You enjoyed some of the best opportuniites for hunters, do what you can to pass that on. That's a hobby with a purpose.

But also, move to italy so my wife & I can come.visit. :)

My Grandpa is 84, he walks his German Shorthair he just got done training. 3 years ago he bought it as a pup.
He also hunts coyotes with the aid of a 4 wheeler
He also long range shoots and reloads all his own ammo
He also quail hunts with his dog, so he’s very active after having both his hips replaced and farming and ranching his entire life which’s is very hard on your body! Good luck on finding a new fun hobby! This spring they built a house in Arizona so no more traveling back and forth too NE MT. My grandma she gardens all the time or reading about it or flowers, she’s 87.
Matt

I agree, especially the fly tying.
As for moving to Italy, isn't it crazy expensive to live there?
Cheers
Richard
Richard....it can be, especially around big cities, but if you get out in the country (especially in the south) it can be very reasonable. The real issues come with adjusting to "A domani" lifestyle and the nightmare of Italian bureaucracy. NOTHING happens in a hurry (or on time for that matter). On the up side wine is ridiculously cheap, eating well can be reasonable, the people are very warm (and really appreciate effort with the language) and there is great stuff to see everywhere.

I enjoy cooking and meat curing for myself and others. Food is something we can enjoy anytime, anywhere, till our last breath.

Try gardening it is as much labor as you make it and growing something has it's own sense of accomplishment.. Me I'll just farm until someone plants me in the ground... Growing things is who I am and what I do... My father is 93 and still prunes his own apple trees and grapes and grows a mean vegetable garden every summer and has plenty of plants inside and plans for over the winter to keep himself busy...

I love to read. In the last 6 months I have read about 40 to 50 books.
Man good for you Scott! I am currently reading 2 books and I enjoy reading them. I just feel like i have to force myself to make time to read them.

I agree with fishing as a good way to get out to be in touch with nature. Nothing like a relaxing day on a lake or maybe a nice clam dig. Berry picking and canning is always a fun way to spend some time outside. My wife got a hold of some huckleberries and made some huckleberry jam. I enjoy spending time with my wife making good food. Myself, I enjoy spending the day tending to a smoker or a bbq making good food and sharing it with the people I love. What ever you choose to do, make it something you feel passionate about. You should do whatever brings you joy and happiness for the rest of your days. It seems like you lived an adventure filled life and there should be no reason why you should not continue to do the things you enjoy to do. Your adventures are an inspiration. Thank you for all you share.

Ben, good idea

Duck slayer, I really want a dog again

Richard, SFC8 nailed it. Stay out of the big cities ( which I will not be able to do if I take art classes in Florence ), but as I mentioned earlier, some of the Port cities are very delightful

oleefish, another good thought

Fullquiver, good for your father, that is great. I miss the farm

Scary, another good idea. I haven't "canned" in years, but use to enjoy doing so. And your right about living life to the fullest and I am still trying. My son still supports me 100%, but my daughter is a tad more protective. i.e. told them about the side car travel and my daughter had a hissy fit but my son said, go for it and the one granddaughter that I hunt with said "grandma, my favorite movie that you and I watched together was "Secondhand Lions"---buy a motorcycle, airplane, or whatever makes you happy. You spent your entire life, for all of us, finish out your life doing for you---love that girl

Gentlemen and MTelkhuntress-- Thank you!

SFC8----from Florence to Venice on a motorcycle, anything to see that is not in whatever books and maps we buy for that trip. She has never been to Venice, so when I have a break from my classes, I thought a trip to Venice would be fun. We ( my husband and I ) always arrived by train and usually from France.

It sounds like you have a plan almost hatched. Motorcycle with a side car, that would be one great way to see the countryside.

I’m afraid I have no good suggestions yet for old age hobbies, other than to keep learning and doing new things. And do try the chair yoga. Both mentally and physically, we humans are the epitome of “use it or lose it”.

Anything that keeps the mind and body engaged would be a good thing! A partner in crime to drive a sidecar sounds delightful ;)

Duck-Slayer Gradening is great in Az. Mid. to Southern regions year round.
Whearebouts did they build?:cool:

Richard, SFC8 nailed it. Stay out of the big cities ( which I will not be able to do if I take art classes in Florence ), but as I mentioned earlier, some of the Port cities are very delightful
'SFC8 nailed it' that's an interesting reply from someone in the 80's, I'm not sure my 80+ mother in law would now how to reply in those terms!

thank you Richard. Credit for any internet slang I know comes from my children and grandchildren and to be honest I still have to get explanations for some of it. However, my use of "nailed it" is a carry over from when the children were in gymnastics.

Hope everyone had a great Easter. If all goes well I hope to be able to post again in about a week

p.s. Hunting wife, sent you a pm and thank you! Showed your work to my friends and they were also very impressed, very nice work and there is literally no end to what could be found and used --thank you

Whatever you choose, please save some time to post here....
I second that. I have really enjoyed reading everything you post on this forum over the last several weeks since I joined HT. Thank you - you are one of my favorite voices on here.

My grandfather was an avid hunter until around age 84, then lived another ten years. He and grandma were Tucson snowbirds, and he continued his other favorite hobbies of investing, home improvement, fishing, and golf, just with extra time devoted to them to make up for the hunting void. He was content until the day he died, and took losses of mobility, freedom, and health in stride. Well, mostly. His .357 mag was never found, and we think he might have squirreled it away somewhere in his assisted living apartment. The two best things I remember him by are the hours of stories he shared, and two of his hunting rifles that he graciously willed to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back