Old Age hobbies

Europe

Hi Guys ,

As some are aware I have not been at the top of my game recently. There has been one thing after another, health wise, ever since I passed the 80 mark a few years back and I finally had to quit hunting. There is even some concern about my accompanying my daughter and granddaughter on their next hunt--aaaggghhh )-;

Anyway, I dont just want to go home and wait to die, so I am thinking about moving to Florence Italy and taking fine art classes ( oil on canvas painting ). I have always enjoyed Italy so this would not be a bad place to reside for awhile.

My question is what hobbies do some of you older fellows do now or perhaps some of you younger fellows have older parents and grandparents that are into non strenuous hobbies in their old age and I would be curious as to what those hobbies are

Thank you

Woodworking.
Got an idea for new ranch sign yesterday just sitting in a chair. But I am just a 64YO whippersnapper.
My Grandpa's late life hobby was watching me work after his eyesight went & he could not read his books & write.

I love to read. In the last 6 months I have read about 40 to 50 books.

thank you gentlemen, appreciate the suggestions

Scott85, appreciate your post ---reading has always been something I have enjoyed and still do, as I can do it without much physical effort, thank you

My Son and his wife are pushing me toward Archery. Some physical activities involved, plus possibly even working with the arrows, which I know nothing about They also feel it might be possible for me to still "blind" hunt. which it may be with the 6.5 x 55 , but nothing above that anymore I am afraid. They are also suggesting I "target" shoot, but I never enjoyed target shooting.

bushman13. my physical therapist also pushes yoga, but my flexibility is not what it once was )-:

hank4elk, my son suggests that if I come home he would buy some equipment and see if I could work on rifle stocks .

Besides moving to Italy and learning to paint I was also reading a book on how to trade "puts" and "calls" that was interesting to me

thanks to all who replied

Make bird houses. I know a fellow that started making bird houses as a hobby after he retired. Then he started selling them at flea markets. He said if he had known how much money he could make building bird houses he would have never bothered working at a real job.

I have taught quite a few people young old and disabled to build fly rods, ice rods and conventional rods. When done properly it's a work of art and a great gift for kids and grandkids. It's pretty cheap to get in to and a lot of fun. I also build arrows and love archery so that would be a good venture especially lower poundage target archery.

I would second the rod building idea. Great fun and you can make it as detailed and artistic as you want. Fly tying is also a great hobby and you can take out your latest creation and see if "it will fish".
Both these hobbies will keep the creative mind active and they are tied to the outdoor life which you obviously enjoy. On a more physical side. Don't be afraid to follow your PT's advice and give yoga a try. Flexibility, like strength and endurance will only gets worse if we don't stay active.

I hear you, I'm 43 but I have scoliosis top and bottom. I try and do yoga once a day and even with that I feel like I'm never getting past the starting line. It's not until I see others who don't do yoga that I realize my own benefits.

There are "chair" yoga classes for the very beginner. You really don't even have to leave the house if you don't want to, YouTube is slap full of yoga videos.

thank you gentlemen, appreciate the suggestions

Scott85, appreciate your post ---reading has always been something I have enjoyed and still do, as I can do it without much physical effort, thank you

My Son and his wife are pushing me toward Archery. Some physical activities involved, plus possibly even working with the arrows, which I know nothing about They also feel it might be possible for me to still "blind" hunt. which it may be with the 6.5 x 55 , but nothing above that anymore I am afraid. They are also suggesting I "target" shoot, but I never enjoyed target shooting.

bushman13. my physical therapist also pushes yoga, but my flexibility is not what it once was )-:

hank4elk, my son suggests that if I come home he would buy some equipment and see if I could work on rifle stocks .

Besides moving to Italy and learning to paint I was also reading a book on how to trade "puts" and "calls" that was interesting to me

thanks to all who replied

Last edited:
While it is not a physical activity, have you thought about writing a book?

I don't really know what to suggest but I like the gun restoration idea a bunch. I do it myself. Still not really physical. Puttering around in a nice wood shop does keep me moving though.

There is always fishing - maybe bowfishing for the more huntress-styled fisher...

I worry about getting older. I am not proving to be very good at it. Hence, a podiatrist at 3 today. :(

Brent, thank you sir. I am writing a book but not for publication, just for my granddaughter, which I will write up to the last day and then her mother will give it to her. Some things I shared, or will share with my granddaughter in the book that my daughter was not real happy about. When my husband and I were in Rio--YEARS AGO- we learned to hang glide and she was hoping I would leave what she deemed "dangerous stunts " out of the book

As mentioned above my son also thought I might enjoy firearm restoration--maybe. And without a doubt fishing--whenever and whenever I can. Best of luck today at three

bushman13---I am wishing you all the best. And if I may sir, I want to share with you my first thought when I read your post. I have been blessed with good health up to my 80's--It is posts like yours that make me count my blessings Thank you and best of luck!

Ajax and sawtooth---excellent idea!!!

gouch----if my son buys some equipment to work on firearms, birds house s could be a fun diversion----or maybe a full time job lol

I am definitely going to try my hand at painting something as popular as the Mona Lisa and then one or several of the aforementioned suggestions sound good

Thank you all.

Eurppe, I was stationed in Italy for 4 years. please feel free to ask any questions you may have. living in Italy with Italians is a bit different than traveling. ;) I was also stationed in England and Germany so if anything there piques your interest let me know. I think southern Bavaria and the Tyrol are some of the most scenic bits of Europe.

Europe my parents,both 83yrs. Do chair arobics every tuesday at
the local VA. They just came home and seem to have a good time.:cool:

Whatever you choose, please save some time to post here....

My hobby is play hard, work harder.

Thank you --very kind of you--for the record not everyone on the forum agrees with you, but your post is appreciated. Also remember our conversation off the forum about side cars. Another woman who just turned 80 and was one of my ship mates when I was still sailing, has suggested that she live with me in Florence . She has no interest in painting, but suggested getting a bike with a side car and we would explore Tuscany on the days when I am not in class. -AAANNDD as weird as this is going to seem to everyone, I just might take her up on it---there is no fool like an old fool

dirt clod, good idea, thank you and I am glad they are both still with you sir

SFCB---THANK YOU, you just might be hearing from us. And thank you for your service sir. Besides the obvious places we have visited over the years ( Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples ) some of my favorite places in Italy were discovered when I was sailing. I dearly loved the Isle of Capri and Cinque Terre. But we also loved some of the very small ports, beautiful people, good food, wonderful wine LOL

I like the book idea. Write for us. I read voraciously. I can read 3 books a day if I am the mood, Usually every 3 weeks and nothing in between. I can see you making fly rods. Absolute right, would be restoring guns.

Why live in Europe? I am sure you have strong reasons, but you seem to love Arizona.

Love you lady and has been said by many, Keep posting!

Thank you --very kind of you--for the record not everyone on the forum agrees with you, but your post is appreciated. Also remember our conversation off the forum about side cars. Another woman who just turned 80 and was one of my ship mates when I was still sailing, has suggested that she live with me in Florence . She has no interest in painting, but suggested getting a bike with a side car and we would explore Tuscany on the days when I am not in class. -AAANNDD as weird as this is going to seem to everyone, I just might take her up on it---there is no fool like an old fool

Sidecar definitely trumps pillion.

...and this one:
Sidecar
Cocktail
Description
The sidecar is a cocktail traditionally made with cognac, orange liqueur, plus lemon juice. In its ingredients, the drink is perhaps most closely related to the older brandy crusta, which differs both in presentation and in proportions of its components. Wikipedia

Back